Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gaz Taylor

The Shadespire News and Rumour Thread

Recommended Posts

I don't follow AoS, but the new Stormcast in that article feature the anvil-lightning bolt icon on the new card preview  so it seems certain they'll be what we're looking at in the new Shadespire release.  I hope we get a diverse warband... using the names from that article, maybe a Knight-Incantor as leader, plus a Castigator and Sequitor (or two)?  Guys with different stats/abilities like the Sepulchral Guard and Spiteclaw's Swarm, less like the Farstriders who are all fairly similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 8:38 PM, Daveman said:

I hope we get a diverse warband... using the names from that article, maybe a Knight-Incantor as leader, plus a Castigator and Sequitor (or two)?  Guys with different stats/abilities like the Sepulchral Guard and Spiteclaw's Swarm, less like the Farstriders who are all fairly similar.

SO MUCH THIS ^

They need to start recognizing Shadespire as a game in it's own right. Having similar models make sense for putting them in AoS, but for Shadespire it's an actual problem that some of the models look the same. I'm looking at you, dwarfs!
They really should make sure each fighter is a unique character. And no that doesn't mean each fighter must be a huge pimped out champion. They can be rank and file and still have character. Also, please make some coherence between the models and their rules (Skaven literally holding a shield isn't the one using shields for defense)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to those boards!

The text mentions "bottomless pits" and "hidden blades". In the images I can see red hexagons around flames and blueish stars. Hopefully that means that the aforementioned dangers are on the backside of the boards displayed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh this is awesome, very excited for the 7th!  Also really glad the universal sleeves include the option to go over the minimum card count.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Eib.Almera said:

Looking forward to those boards!

The text mentions "bottomless pits" and "hidden blades". In the images I can see red hexagons around flames and blueish stars. Hopefully that means that the aforementioned dangers are on the backside of the boards displayed.

In the right board you can see some hexagons with a white border. I would guess these are the bottomless pits, while the hexagons with the red borders may deal damage to any fighter entering/finishing an activation there?

 

So much looking forward to using these boards and leader cards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RafaBO said:

In the right board you can see some hexagons with a white border. I would guess these are the bottomless pits, while the hexagons with the red borders may deal damage to any fighter entering/finishing an activation there?

At first I thought the same about the white-bordered hexes. But if you look closely the artwork behind the upper white hex shows a tipped-over cauldron from which the flames of the red hex flow.

Then again, the bottom white hex could be a pit. And the text mentions only "board", not "boards". So I'm hoping for two reversible boards, but I'm expecting a single board. :)

I'm actually most excited about the generic card sleeves because I can't be bothered to look for decent ones from other brands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is the white hexes are just blocked hexes like the normal boards. And I also think the boards are double sided. If you look closely at the white hexes, the one next to the fire/red hex looks like a tipped over cauldron. And the other white hex looks like it could be an empty cauldron just sitting there.

Edited by Anthony225

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Anthony225 said:

My guess is the white hexes are just blocked hexes like the normal boards. And I also think the boards are double sided. If you look closely at the white hexes, the one next to the fire/red hex looks like a tipped over cauldron. And the other white hex looks like it could be an empty cauldron just sitting there.

Absolutely. Thick white border means a blocked hex.

I wonder if these in actuality  only has ONE new mechanic: Red danger hexes.
I kinda doubt we'll have rules for hidden blades, pit traps and fire. It's all just different artwork for the same mechanic if you ask me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good point, I missed that tipped over cauldron.

The picture just shows two boards (both sides of the same board maybe?), but I hope they include at least 2 reversible boards. Otherwise calling it a "board pack" may be too generous :D

In the preview they talk about " introducing lethal terrain to the game", so you may be right and it may be just red = lethal.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/28/white-dwarf-preview-updates-for-warhammer-board-games/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like shardfall is going to be more popular if it can be placed over these dangerous hexes to keep fighters from being pushed into them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thrilled they're putting out more content to help tide us over until whatever they're going to call the next "wave" comes out, but I'm not sure why I'd choose a board with hostile terrain on it as "my" board.  Maybe if I'm playing defensive, but even then I'd be hesitant to have dangers close to me.  As if we needed another reason to put more push ploys in the deck.

Looks like that mostly hidden objective card is "The Stage is Set"?  Reading what's there it looks like it scores 2-3 points if the only surviving fighters are leaders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Daveman said:

but I'm not sure why I'd choose a board with hostile terrain on it as "my" board.  Maybe if I'm playing defensive, but even then I'd be hesitant to have dangers close to me.  As if we needed another reason to put more push ploys in the deck.

I'd say it very much depends on the actual rules for this. If it can help me kill faster, perhaps it's a risk worth taking?
Imagine an Earthquake/Great Concussion combo... And like THAT the entire enemy warband fell into the rotating blades ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2018 at 8:16 AM, ReynakZhen said:

Looks like shardfall is going to be more popular if it can be placed over these dangerous hexes to keep fighters from being pushed into them.

 

It's already a must-take for me. This just reinforces that.

Super excited!

I'm crossing my fingers that the Leader cards are a clever way to adress balance issues without having to redo cards.

Example:

Chosen Axes and Sepulchral Guard feel like they should be focusing on objective play, but because of the ease with which that style can be casually neutered, it's tough for them to do that.

What if there is a card for Fjul called something like "I'm Watching You" that says when other Chosen Axes have Line of Sight to Fjul, they cannot be pushed off of objectives?

Just a thought.

It would be a nice way to boost certain things back to a playable level.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More info on the new board: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/07/01/next-weeks-pre-orders-cards-teams-and-more/

From Warhammer Community:

Quote

The Shattered City board pack contains a single double-sided tile that opens up all sorts of new strategies, featuring new starting hexes, blocked tiles and, for the first time, lethal hexes. These hexes deal a single point of damage to any fighter passing through them, whether with a move action or by being driven back, and are incredibly rewarding in the hands of the cunning (or brutal) player. With Ironjawz, you could direct your Charge through one of these hexes to Inspire your fighters, while The Farstriders could try and lure their enemies into a deadly trap before thrusting them back into lethal hexes. We’ll be previewing just what these tiles mean for your games next week in more detail.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So finally the city board pack is a single double-sided board?  I will still get it, but it feels a bit of a letdown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the bright side, having only one board with dangers on them gives players a chance to deny their opponent the choice of such a board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Eib.Almera said:

With Ironjawz, you could direct your Charge through one of these hexes to Inspire your fighters

Great. Just what the Easy Button of Shadespire needs.

I was really hoping to see new things added to balance the Orruks, not make them better.

I feel very much like Obi Wan. "You were supposed to bring balance to the force, not destroy it." 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eib.Almera said:

On the bright side, having only one board with dangers on them gives players a chance to deny their opponent the choice of such a board.

How? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Great. Just what the Easy Button of Shadespire needs.

I was really hoping to see new things added to balance the Orruks, not make them better.

I feel very much like Obi Wan. "You were supposed to bring balance to the force, not destroy it." 

In general, I will gladly trade a certain point of damage on an order fighter that gives him a chance to inflict an extra point of damage when he attacks my fighter. (In particular cases, this can be the difference between wounding a fighter and taking the fighter out of action, but the odds of success are much less than 100%.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

How? 

Maybe it only works in my own case. I have only one person I play Shadespire with and we share a base set.

Say I know my opponent likes to charge his Orruks through a danger hex. If I'm the first to choose a board, I can choose the one with the blue stars and keep the danger hexes to my back, lessening the chance of a charge through such a hex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah. You share a set. That explains it.

In our group, most of us have their own.

Edited by Sleboda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new board with the 2 blocked hexes and 2 hazard hexes looks intriguing to me. You can, in theory, sit back with a warband like sepulchral guard and use push/knockback effects to toss the enemy into the hazard hexes. If I were to try this, and I may, I would use objective based objective cards to sit on objectives while the enemy comes to me. I would use push ploys as well as shardfall as adding another blocked hex wherever I want seems interesting. 

With the prince you could knockback an enemy through a hazard and then they'd possibly have to go back through the hazard to get to you again. And having friendly models die isn't as detrimental as you can always bring them back! If you're worried about the Warden dying early you could use hidden paths to get away. 

The thought of the enemy running around in my territory while being pushed into hazards and skeletons popping up here and there, all while their "fearless" Warden leader is having a picnic in enemy territory all by his lonesome, seems very satisfying to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...