The Shadespire News and Rumour Thread

Gaz Taylor

• As my excitement for this game grows daily, I thought I would start a topic to let people know what Shadespire is as well as any news or rumours that pop up for it. I'll keep this as updated as I can.

What is Shadespire?

Shadespire (or to use it's full name - Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire) is a upcoming game from Games Workshop that is set in the Age of Sigmar universe. The easiest way to explain how the game works, is that it's an combination of a collectable card game and the X Wing miniature game.

You control a Warband fighting out in the ruins of Shadespire, a city that once attracted the attention of Nagash and he got annoyed that the residents of the city had found a way of prolonging their lives. Not something you want to do in the Realm of Death, which is ruled over by Nagash who just happens to be the God of Death and expects every soul from the dead to be his. So he cursed the city and everybody in it and put them in a state of limbo. Anybody who finds themselves here, will be trapped forever! You will battle it out to survive and hopefully find a way of escaping this cursed city.

The game has been designed to be played in a competitive manner and it is easy to pick up and learn but difficult to master. Games are designed to last around 45 minutes, which makes it ideal for Club or Tournament play.

Whats in it?

We don't know the exact details about what you get in it yet but we do know you will get two warbands in the core set (Stormcast vs Khorne Bloodreavers), some game boards/tiles to fight over, cards (for Unit Profiles and also Special Event Cards) and dice.

Why should I be excited?

Well for a start, it's a brand new game from Games Workshop which is a departure from what they have previously done! But if that doesn't float your boat, there will be loads of cool new miniatures for the various Warbands and it's a competitive type game which seems to play a bit like a cross between X Wing and Collectable Card Games. It also seems ideal for those of us who are older and have reached achievements such as getting married, having children and full time jobs (basically all that stuff that stops us from playing with our cool toys all the time).

NEWS - Updated 13/09/17

New

I get distracted by work and GW drop a load of cool news about Shadespire! So firstly they have confirmed that Orruks are the forth Warband for Shadespire and this was confirmed at the Nova Open a few weeks ago (https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/31/breaking-news-studio-preview-from-the-nova-open/). 

Here's a cool trailer for them if you can't be bothered clicking the link ;) 

Next up a bit more about the game where we get to see models from all four factions together as well as a bit of background - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/12/the-factions-of-shadespire-sneak-peekgw-homepage-post-3/

Shadespire-Factions-Showcase2krb.jpg

Also got this very cool bit of artwork giving us a very good idea about who is in the game and a bit of an inkling about the theme..

Shadespire-Factions-Image1jrcn.jpg

Also been confirmed in this article that @Ben's Blood and Glory weekend is running a couple of Shadespire events. Details are here - https://bloodandglory.baddice.co.uk/2017/09/shadespire-at-blood-and-glory-get-tickets-now/

Old

GW are at Gencon 50 and showing the game off to the public!!! They have done an article for it on the community site (see here) but here are some of the pictures.....

Shadespire-WDPoster1tix.jpg.0d1a1790e8f157aa13eff14e7b1157fc.jpg

Shadespire-Gencon5aq.jpg.01661617b1e0ab2ea67847c5d55cf1a6.jpg

Shadespire-Gencon1kr.jpg.0f7efc44e21b82f206409e9a2cfb1244.jpg

Shadespire-Gencon6xe.jpg.7222bbf0ae2c06d2c4bee823a8ff63df.jpg

Shadespire-Gencon4ox.jpg.4de0cc20fdb08aaf0e3ad4c95b773b99.jpg

Shadespire-Gencon3zu.jpg.a571af02ac7808af5daf4f15bf8720c8.jpg

Shadespire-Gencon2rv.jpg.41749ae42142706cf20a8bd524cc87b2.jpg

Shadespire-Gencon7ft.jpg.2befe28c3214559910d2692b14f56a33.jpg

SS-minis2.jpg.caa9b30fdf1c793394ea7b35d1ec24d3.jpg

SS-minis1.jpg.6a22ba96ff9bd1db1f1242af3a11c505.jpg

It's coming in November!!! This comes from Gencon via Domus

• GW have confirmed that they will be doing a seminar for Shadespire at the NOVA Open (Link
  • It's been confirmed that the game will be played competitively at the LVO 2018
  • GW have confirmed the game (see Community Site)
  • GW have confirmed one of the additional Warbands - Sepulchral Guard (see Community Site)
  • GW have confirmed Female Stormcast in the game (see Community Site)
  • GW has set up a Facebook Page for the game (see here)
  • The Dice Tower visited Warhammer World and were able to get a preview of the game (see Video on YouTube here)
  • Bell of Lost Souls filmed a demo game at Adepticon earlier this year (see video on YouTube here)

RUMOURS - Updated 14/08/17

• Not a massive amount here as GW have been very, very, good at keeping this under wraps. However, the NOVA Open is happening in the US soon (31st August to 3rd September) and one of the seminars that GW are hosting hints about a new game being showcased. Could this be Shadespire or something else (LINK) - Confirmed (see above)
  • Like 6

There will be events in the UK but as the US ones are big gaming conventions as well, it makes sense for GW to wave the flag and advertise things a bit more. At the end of the month, I'm hoping we will hear about a release date (I'm expecting November) and we will start seeing more information dropping out about it

On 8/18/2017 at 0:53 AM, Gaz Taylor said:

Just updated this as we have a release month! It's November!!!

You sure? The last paragraph of the Warhammer community article reads:

"If you want to try Shadespire for yourself, you won’t have to wait long – the Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire core box will be available to order next month, with the first of the warband expansions on shelves in November. In the meantime, we’ll be keeping you up to date with the latest news, insights and more right here on Warhammer Community."

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/19/shadespire-previews-from-gencon-aug-19gw-homepage-post-1/

18 hours ago, Xasz said:

The price tag will be interesting and how many game components you get.

A box with two armies? Single army boxes? Full deck?

I think the core set is the Stormcast and Blood Reavers, plus boards and cards. Expansions are expected (Undead confirmed) and I imagine they come with their own deck

3 hours ago, Sete said:

Heard something about each army having its board?

Yeah one of the mechanics is you bring your own half of the board to a game as it can give advantages to your warband

• Like 1

So the warhammer community article has been updated. The release month is neither September nor November.

Here is the quote:

"If you want to try Shadespire for yourself, you won’t have to wait long – it’ll be available this October with the first two expansions out by November."

5 hours ago, Chikout said:

So the warhammer community article has been updated. The release month is neither September nor November.

Here is the quote:

"If you want to try Shadespire for yourself, you won’t have to wait long – it’ll be available this October with the first two expansions out by November."

LOL!

I would be happy with any but would prefer right now as I really want to play this game!

2 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I think the core set is the Stormcast and Blood Reavers, plus boards and cards. Expansions are expected (Undead confirmed) and I imagine they come with their own deck

I am guessing the same, would be great as you could play it on game night with people that don't have an army themselves.

Regarding the cards, I wonder if the decks from the core set are going to have all options for customization or if we have to get several "boosters".

The back of the Shadespire box layout looks very much like an old school, classic gw board game. nice touch. i wonder if the side graphic and box size would also match?

spire-17-1202.jpg

I don't see Shadespire reaching X-wing or Magic levels. i think being unpainted hurts it a little. However, if GW did each faction in its own plastic color then it may work a little better. Sort of like that new AoS starter...these Stormcast models should have been in the gold plastic. Deathrattle could be white, flesh eater courts grey, skaven brown, orruks green, tzeentch blue, etc, etc.

Still....ever since I laid eyes on this back of box image...I've been hit with nostalgia. Combine that with my AoS infatuation and it's getting likely I'm going to give this a shot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I would love the idea of boosters but as GW are a miniature company, any boosters will be with models. I'm expecting it to be like X Wing, so models and some cards

That's not what I'm getting at.

I'd be kinda disappointed if we get something like "starter decks" which are incomplete or don't have the appropriate amount of card X in it. So they force you to buy either another set or a stand alone card pack for 10+ bucks, either once or multiple times, depending on the completeness of the starters.

I'm all for addons for existing factions later on (which would be darn cool and would show continued support for the game), but I don't want MtG-like extortion.

4 hours ago, Mr. White said:

Still....ever since I laid eyes on this back of box image...I've been hit with nostalgia. Combine that with my AoS infatuation and it's getting likely I'm going to give this a shot.

Same here! love the old skool design. (yes, that's how you're supposed to spell it in this context). 

But big thing will be the price. I always like the concepts of these separate games. Bit of a different gameplay, good excuse to paint some different models but then the price usually deters me. €125 for silver tower, €85 for bloodbowl (which is fine, I just would prefer different squads meaning the price will go up). 

So hoping this will be the one ;) 

45 minutes ago, Xasz said:

That's not what I'm getting at.

I'd be kinda disappointed if we get something like "starter decks" which are incomplete or don't have the appropriate amount of card X in it. So they force you to buy either another set or a stand alone card pack for 10+ bucks, either once or multiple times, depending on the completeness of the starters.

I'm all for addons for existing factions later on (which would be darn cool and would show continued support for the game), but I don't want MtG-like extortion.

Ah now I get you. Tough to say as we don't really know how the decks work. If you have multiples of a card then it could be an issue with what GW have done in the past, but I'm hoping that they are aware about this issue or if they aren't they can adapt quickly to it.

30 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Same here! love the old skool design. (yes, that's how you're supposed to spell it in this context). 

But big thing will be the price. I always like the concepts of these separate games. Bit of a different gameplay, good excuse to paint some different models but then the price usually deters me. €125 for silver tower, €85 for bloodbowl (which is fine, I just would prefer different squads meaning the price will go up). 

So hoping this will be the one ;) 

Yeah I love it too! Looks a great box and I'm hoping for a £50 price tag (which is €85?)

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Yeah I love it too! Looks a great box and I'm hoping for a £50 price tag (which is €85?)

Used to be, now i should be around 55. Since Brexit the pound is only worth 1,09. Financially not the best decision ;) 

Although GW is a bit behind the times in that area: Blood bowl is is £65 which should be €70 but they sell it for €85. Which always makes me a bit angry. Especially if you then have to pay for shipping as well (you don't have to pay for shipping for orders over €50). It just feels ridiculous that GW is still running an outdated exchange rate OR just feel europe should pay roughly 130%  the price. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Used to be, now i should be around 55. Since Brexit the pound is only worth 1,09. Financially not the best decision ;) 

Not to turn this into a political topic but I did vote no! 

31 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Although GW is a bit behind the times in that area: Blood bowl is is £65 which should be €70 but they sell it for €85. Which always makes me a bit angry. Especially if you then have to pay for shipping as well (you don't have to pay for shipping for orders over €50). It just feels ridiculous that GW is still running an outdated exchange rate OR just feel europe should pay roughly 130%  the price. 

Yeah it is interesting how it seems to operate that but I'm guessing it's useful to them to be able to set the price and still make money if it fluctuates a lot.

• Like 1