The Shadespire News and Rumour Thread

Gaz Taylor

Another thing that point us that those shown spells are not like upgrade is that they don't have "Action:". They would need change rules of how activation works(what would be stupid to change, instead of adding just "Action:" on card) or we will get another step when spell can be cast. Cuz we have only passive abilities, action abilities (with "Action:") and reaction abilities (with "Reaction:"). So if they are upgrades, they can't be used on activation instead of other actions like attack or move. Ofc, we can get another step, just to cast spells, but i would prefer them as a ploys like anyway. Just cuz spells that can be used once in game can be created stronger than cards that can be cast few times in game.

Tbh, i don't see anything on that card under Stormcast that would hint us that it  can be spell. I think that i see there half of head of guy with shiny gold armour. Spell that polish our armour? Likes like a defensive upgrade to me. And if that card under fighter is upgrade, then there should be two glory spend not just one, cuz there is second spell on board from that same player.

Edited by Reggi

Regarding the artwork, I see a guy with some sort of glowing magic thing, possibly on a staff. 

Regarding actions, this is easy: Nightvault can simply add “cast a spell” to the list of possible activations. This would mean that “Gambit Spell” and similar terms would be equivalent to “Action.”

23 hours ago, Daveman said:

From the article:

Looking at Averon's card there's a new icon next to his name, I'm guessing that marks him as a "sorcerer".  The number 2 after it... just some guesses:

1. For the total value of "sorcerers" in your team you can add X many spells to your deck?

2. Spells are treated as upgrades that can only be played on "sorcerers", in Averon's case no more than 2?

Love the chainrasp miniatures!  Happy to see it looks like we're getting a Stormcast team that's slightly diverse (1 sorcerer, 2 guards?) but don't like how similar the 2 guards look.

It's 3 Evocators or 2 Evocators and 1 Incantor so it would be weird if all 3 couldn't use magic 

19 minutes ago, Tutenkharnage said:

Regarding the artwork, I see a guy with some sort of glowing magic thing, possibly on a staff. 

Regarding actions, this is easy: Nightvault can simply add “cast a spell” to the list of possible activations. This would mean that “Gambit Spell” and similar terms would be equivalent to “Action.”

Like i said, they can change rules of Activation. I'm just hoping that they will not do it that way. Making spells repeatable will cripple them on  creating stage. I want hugh, strong spells and they can't make them that way if you can use them few times in one game.

17 hours ago, Reggi said:

It can be just a upgrade card under this fighter, not a spell (we don't see a symbol and there should be upgrade in Nightvault aswell). Spell that was shown to us is on board (next to two new dices), not under fighter. So it looks more like playing a ploy. I think spells as upgrades could be to strong.

The spells have a different icon, it looks like a Trivial Pursuit game piece with 1 pie piece in. You can see it at 15 seconds in the reveal trailer

As for how it works, I don't know. I expect it to work like a ploy as it would be strong as an upgrade... perhaps it gets shuffled back into the deck once its attempted?

3 hours ago, Mr. White said:

And do the spell cards serve any function when the 'wizard(s)' of the warband have been taken out. Or are you now holding a handful of 'dead' cards...

I'd assume they'd be similar to fighter-specific upgrades in that, once that fighter gets removed from play, the cards only that fighter can use are useless.

Why would spells as upgrades have to be underpowered? They can be on par with, or just below, shadeglass weapons and still be very worthwhile upgrades. In fact, they wouldn’t be much different than cards that boost damage. (The fighters already have 1-damage spells on their cards, so 1-damage spells that also damage adjacent enemies would be fine as upgrades, so to speak.)

Anyway: None of us know, but none of us can wait to find out! :)

Edited by Tutenkharnage

15 hours ago, Tutenkharnage said:

Why would spells as upgrades have to be underpowered? They can be on par with, or just below, shadeglass weapons and still be very worthwhile upgrades. In fact, they wouldn’t be much different than cards that boost damage. (The fighters already have 1-damage spells on their cards, so 1-damage spells that also damage adjacent enemies would be fine as upgrades, so to speak.)

Anyway: None of us know, but none of us can wait to find out! :)

Spell that deal 1 damage with range 3 in my opinion is a lot worst than spell that deal 1 damage to target and everyone around that can be cast without looking at range...

Shardgale + that spell that you would use many times in game = dead to all 2 wound fighters. When you sit on other side of board and your opponent don't play agressive strategy. Good luck.

In balancing card, one that can be repeated many times always will need to be weaker that one time card. So when GW create card that can be used one time, they can make it better than spell thats work like upgrade.

16 minutes ago, RedRowan said:

Looking forward to seeing what warbands we get this time around.

Steve

I’m not actually a Shadespire player but me too! 

So far all the Shadespire warbands have been fantastic and I feel like they are great snapshots at what a particular factions vibe is.

Anyway, we’ve obviously got Nighthaunt, Stormcast and what appears to be Moonclan on the way. Rumours of Tzeentch have me really excited too.

21 hours ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

I’m not actually a Shadespire player but me too! 

So far all the Shadespire warbands have been fantastic and I feel like they are great snapshots at what a particular factions vibe is.

Anyway, we’ve obviously got Nighthaunt, Stormcast and what appears to be Moonclan on the way. Rumours of Tzeentch have me really excited too.

Had not heard the rumors for a Tzeentch warband, that would be interesting.

Steve

On 9/10/2018 at 10:55 AM, Zimagic said:

Completely new forum for season 2, IMO.

That's an option, but I think it would be more appropriate to correct the original error.  The game is not now, nor has it ever been, "Shadespire." Its title is Warhammer Underworlds. When the only set we had was the Shadespire set, we all (myself included) incorrectly identified the game by that name.

Now is a chance to rename the forum to "Underworlds" or "Warhammer Underworlds." Since  GW has said everything is cross-compatible between the sets, it's clear that it is one game, not two different games, and thus it seems right to keep it all under one forum.

The ethereal mechanic seems really cool. It'll be nice to load up your side with lethal hexes and not have to worry about them.

its interesting that they don't seem to have very good defensive stats. And this fighter hits hardish, but not easily with 1 sword uninspired. 

Inspire mechanic is cool also. Seems easy yet dangerous. I wonder if there is any revive mechanic for them?

I also like he fact that they have a painted model in the upper left corner and not the  bare plastic :)

IMG_5069.PNG

IMG_5070.PNG

Edited by Anthony225

They don’t look like a hammer-and-shield warband to me. Also, that’s her uninspired side, and since 3 swords is more or less equivalent to 2 hammers, she’s still a better fighter than Garrek (-1 Move canceled by +1  range, +1 defense) and the Warden (+1 Move, +1 defense). Looks like she can’t spend an activation to activate two fighters at once, so Drifting Advance will likely end up in every deck. 

51 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

hmmm...i'd prefer the model image in the upper left to be unpainted like Shadespire as I often do my own color scheme.

Not to mention, it used to be a subtle reinforcement of the idea that Underworlds is not a hobby-oriented game and that painting is quite optional.

2 hours ago, zedatkinszed said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/09/16/next-week-the-nightvault-opens/

I'm loving the new arcane hazards - they'll double as nice objective markers too :)

I love them as well, but I'm a little leery of putting items into lethal hexes, which the skull throne and tentacle pit are clearly designed for. I just know I'll keep forgetting that those hexes are not, in fact, blocked!

They look fantastic, though. I suspect they'll come unassembled and unpainted.