The Shadespire News and Rumour Thread

Gaz Taylor

12 minutes ago, Desidus said:

I don't think tome of Offerings is broken, realistically you can score maybe 3-5 additional glory off it, if your fighter survives, is positioned in the right spot and you have other cards such as Ready for Action, My Turn, Aggressive Defense, or are simply just in base contact with multiple people.

The only time I could see it absolutely popping off would be if it was on the Harvester from Sep guard in a bunch of goblins or uninspired bedsheets.

Or Mollog using Whirling Club might be an even bigger nightmare. Some of those specific upgrades for him/the mob in particular will make this pretty nasty. Foul Temper allowing a reroll on each attack in an action and Horrific Stench making adjacent fighters have -1 support. Piled up fighters are gonna have a bad time.

Edited by Skyeline

53 minutes ago, Skyeline said:

Or Mollog using Whirling Club might be an even bigger nightmare. Some of those specific upgrades for him/the mob in particular will make this pretty nasty. Foul Temper allowing a reroll on each attack in an action and Horrific Stench making adjacent fighters have -1 support. Piled up fighters are gonna have a bad time.

Thats also 3 out of 10 upgrades he needs to be at maximum effectiveness and then also have that specific ploy in hand to do it......

It's unlikely to be consistent

Oh of course but I figured we were mostly getting into the realm of ideal circumstances anyways. Sometimes its fun to think about the absurdities that can occur with amazing luck and stupid deck building decisions. 

I don't think Tome of Offerings is busted and definitely wouldn't use my example as a case for that. :)

Edited by Skyeline

The only way the card makes its way to the BAR list is if it deserves it, IMO. And what might that scenario look like?

1. Almost every player is packing this card.
  2. Many games are decided by which players wrecks the opposing Tome of Offerings fighter first.
  3. Too many ploys (Centre of Attention, Mighty Swing, and probably a few others) are being packed to take advantage of Tome of Offerings.

If something like that happens, expect to see this card make its way to the BAR list; otherwise, don't.

Im not sure tome of offerings is broken but I do think it's a very bad card design just because it's a straight up better version of the faction specific cards that already exist. Either those factions stack them which is just painting a big target on one guys head (spreading it around could be viable but that's two upgrades used to only get +1 glory at a time) or they run the tome and their own cards become obsolete which is never good in my mind.

Any warband that relies on steamrolling with a single fighter (Fjul, Gurzag, Saek) is going to slamjam it into their decks right away. It's especially potent on fighters that can do damage outside of the standard action economy, like Mollog (multiple charges per turn) or Stormsire (kills with gambit spells).

I think that Tome of Offerings is almost certainly going to be Restricted. If cards like "A Destiny To Meet" that passively score 1 glory at the end of the game are worth Restricted status then Tome of Offerings should end up on that list, too. 

• Like 2

the tome of offerings to me seems broken. at the moment here in the north of Italy the aggro playstyle is still widespread. orruks, magore and aggro cursebreakers are still the top tiers. after the BAR list and the new expansions that introduced new cards for control playstyle like Extreme flank and Keep them guessing the situation was quite balanced. I finished second in last month's tournament with the Sepulchral Guard, and the first one played the Thorns, a situation that pre-BAR would never have happened.
In my view of things, a card like tome of offerings will move the balance needle back onto the aggro playstyle as it rewards too easily those who only aim to smash skulls.

one kill, immediately 2 glory points, the same ones I would do at the end of the turn with extreme flank, or Keep them Guessing, or march of the dead, or mad scurry, all cards that require certain choices throughout the entire turn and that will reward me only at the end phase.
in case you can also achieve an "immediately" objective, it rewards you as much as Supremacy.

A card so generic will be used by everyone, but only some warbands will be able to exploit it at best .. the same warbands that have been considerably weakened by the BAR list for a reason..

Hm, it seems powerful in its niche, but it also competes with other upgrades in that niche. It's not going in things like Gitz or Skellies who use chip damage/multiple sources of middle damage and play more flex or Objective focused. It probably doesn't go in Farstriders since they often get the killing damage off of Ploys like Trap/Pit Trap/Shardgale. It definitely doesn't go in defensive decks that are more focused on positioning/flex cards than killing.

IMO the BAR list is for cards that are ubiquitous in every deck because they're way better than other options. I don't think Tome of Offerings is necessarily better than spending that Glory on an upgrade to make your fighter stronger, like Sudden Growth/Deathly Fortitude, Great/Incredible Strength, or Potion of Rage. It's a "win more" card, which have historically been useful but not gamebreaking. 

Even the mentioned fighters that will thrive with this - Mollog, Fjul, and Gurzag - I can't see it being an auto-include over pure power cards. It clearly is a great option against swarmbands where that fighter is likely to kill 2-3 per round, but against Stormcast, Cursebreakers, Orruks, or Farstriders? You'll get maybe 1-2 extra glory off this Upgrade, tops. 

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great, and I'll definitely be trying it out in my Cursebreakers and Mollogs for sure, but I've been playing lots of Gitz and Nighthaunt and I don't see myself slotting it in there any time soon.

In other hand, the Throns can try to score Extrem Flank and Supremacy with one single activation with Varclav, saving the 3 left to score Keep them Guessing.  SC and gobs would need only a little more thinking to achive that.

Aggro bands are more dicey and there is card like rebound, last chance, frozen in time, invisible wall to annoy them.

In top of that, there is some way to one shot 4 wounds models upgraded with something like tome of offering.

Edited by Biboune
  • Like 1

The BAR doesnt just include cards that were popular across achetypes - it also has cards that are overused within their own archetype. Cards like Loner and Perfect Planning were restricted to curb the power of control decks and had almost no impact on aggro and control decks. Similarly restricting the Shadeglass weapons was targeted at aggro warbands buffing up their weaker fighters (Skaven, Guard) and had little impact on warbands with good base attacks (Steelhearts, Fyreslayers).

• Like 1

All the new Universal Cards from Godsworn can be found in this article. As well as all the faction specific for Godsworn. Posting here and in godsworn. 

Looks like some interesting new score immediately cards and out first Innate Swirly! 

Not to mention how there is a bucketload of new spells (I can see at least 3 that will give Tzeentch a boost) 

https://canyourollacrit.com/2019/01/19/godsworn-hunt/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 7:01 AM, Gabester539 said:

Any speculation about when the sylvaneth band will be released?

They seem to be following the same release schedule from the first season. Farstriders/Magore's were released around April, so it's fair to assume we'll see the Sylvaneth and KO around that time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Vines-for-legs is a little bit odd to me. But overall I think they look great (and I don't even really like tree revenants!).

Excited for another warband falling into the 3-4 model range. Feels like we're overdue for a low model count team with a more evenly distributed stat curve (Though Shadespire did feature quite a lot of that to be fair).

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Diablo said:

What's coming soon?

I am new and started playing recently, I also bought the two boxes nightvault and shadespire, cant wait to get new content, i hope on seraphon and flesh eater courts warbands

Well we've got the Sylvaneth and Kharadron Overlords warbands coming out at some point this year and then that would probably be it in terms of new warbands for Nightvault if we're going off the art for each warband they put out at the release of Nightvault. So I wouldn't get your hopes up for FEC or Seraphon coming out this season of warhammer underworlds.  That said there's always a chance they might be in next season and the good thing is all the warbands and cards from previous seasons can be used in the next so you're not really losing out in anything. I would love to see a warband for both FEC and Seraphon myself tbh, fingers crossed we see that next season.

• Like 1