The Shadespire News and Rumour Thread

Gaz Taylor

Some of the spells are built in for the caster, and thus do not eat a card and can be reused.

Agreed, though. I avoid the 50/50 cards whenever I can.

I'm more concerned about the token mechanic. Sure, my Guard are loving it, but Skaven don't need the help. Hungering Skaven charging and killing two fighters per turn with Heroslayer? No thanks.

Edited by Sleboda

Some cards are printed on the fighter card, as @Sleboda said, so they do not use up a gambit slot (formerly a "ploy slot"). For example, Averon's Fulmination spell is effectively a 2R/2H/1D ranged attack, which puts it on par with any uninspired Farstrider's ranged attack. At least one upgrade—the Averon-specific Corposant Staff—gives the fighter a spell action that can be used multiple times. (This particular spell is 75% likely to work and hands out Range +1 on a stick.)

I'm not afraid of 50/50 cards. Their effects are extremely powerful. If you'd rather pack a can't-miss card with a concrete effect, such as Trap or Illusory Fighter, I won't argue with your decision. But if you're avoiding these cards so you can pack ploys that give you an extra 15% to hit or decrease an enemy fighter's chances of hitting by 10%, you're wasting your card slots, in my opinion.

The token mechanic is a necessary shot in the arm for the Guard. It certainly opens more avenues for the Swarm, but it does so at the expense of going all-in on Skritch, which is a really nasty way to play skaven. I suspect most players figured out that using activations to return weaker fighters to the battlefield was a dubious decision, which meant that these warbands probably weren't playing as GW intended. This change will, at a minimum, make that play style more attractive.

As for the hypothetical Hungering Heroslayer scenario, you're worrying about the following:

1. Opponent packs Heroslayer instead of another card.
  2. Opponent puts this 1-hammer card on a 2-wound model.
  3. Opponent charges ... Garrek? And pulls off a 13-out-of-36 chance to kill him.
  4. You kill Hungering in return, gaining back the glory you lost when Garrek died.
  5. Opponent spends an activation returning Hungering to the battlefield.
  6. You somehow fail to kill Hungering.
  7. Hungering pulls off another 13-in-36 chance and kills another fighter.

Sure, you might miss in step 4, in which case this rule change did nothing to change the situation. And your opponent might use a ploy card to return Hungering to the board in step 5, in which case you're down two fighters but 1 glory, which is a not-unusual situation against skaven. And sure, your opponent might dump Awakened Weapon into his fighter. But you get cards yourself (Quick Thinker comes to mind), and you're ultimately left worrying about a 13% chance of Hungering pulling off a double-Heroslayer against Reavers. (Against Champions, the odds of the double tap are just over 9%.)

Let's see it on the table first and then decide whether it's really all that. If the play style is inferior to "all Skritch, all the time," then it won't matter; if it's not any stronger, just different, that'll be fine, too.

Edited by Tutenkharnage
Forgot to mention that Corposant Staff is an upgrade!

So via the in-store demo copy of Nightvault I was able to test out the new Nighthaunt warband with my GW manager.  I have to say they were a blast to play!  My first activation was obviously to test Varclav, and that push ability is very nice.  Drew very lucky and pulled the ploy that does the same thing as Varclav, so on the first activation all 5 of my chainrasps had encircled Stormsire, who was placed up front by my opponent.  Over the first turn the ever hanged proceeded to kill Stormsire and I only lost one chainrasp.  The push from Varclav was essential to getting me inspired and getting the most out of having 7 against 3.  In the end I had lost one chainrasp, the briar queen, and the ever hanged, while I was able to wipe all of the evocators off the board.  I am really excited to get my personal cards in with the new nighthaunt ones to really make a fun deck.  I would say just off that one game they felt more like Spiteclaw's Swarm if I had to make any comparison to a previous warband.  

The Evocators are no joke though.  My opponent couldn't land an attack to save his life for most of the game, only killing a bunch in the last turn, but the statlines and spell cards he was attempting were quite powerful sounding.  With luckier dice I know that game could've been quite different.

5 hours ago, Bandit-94 said:

Nighthaunts seem to be a little more effective in combat than the sep. guard. do you think that an aggressive tactic could be a good idea or could the warband bring back the objectives strategy to be good completely forgetting the fight? 

I'll preface I have only played one game with them and that was with the demo deck.  I think they can do both honestly.  I played highly in a highly aggressive manner much like my skaven and I was able to score annihilation against the new stormcast.  That being said, I think there is some merit to choosing a board with a high amount of danger hexes and, in the best scenario, planting 3 objectives in that death pit.  Since they ignore all blocked and danger hexes I feel there could be some play with an objective based deck and varclav for sure.

8 hours ago, Bandit-94 said:

Nighthaunts seem to be a little more effective in combat than the sep. guard. do you think that an aggressive tactic could be a good idea or could the warband bring back the objectives strategy to be good completely forgetting the fight? 

I think they can do both. I also thought of a sneaky build which involves choosing a board with the most lethal hexes, and then taking ploys which push your enemy into your lethal squares. So great concussion, earthquake, the push all enemies spell, and distraction. 

You could also push into their territory if you want. And if they take lethal hexes it's even better. 

Dont think anyone has posted this yet but GW NZ just posted images from White Dwarf and you can see the models for the Goblins.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/White-Dwarf-October-2018-eng

looks like 7 goblins (Shaman, fanatic, netter, herder, 3 archers) plus 2 squig

Guessing these and Tzeentch will only be a couple of weeks away.

On 9/25/2018 at 5:08 PM, Gash Bauer said:

I might be a bit out of the loop regarding announcements to rules changes, but today's WC article on the old 8 warbands just stated this in the Sepulchral Guard section.

In practice, this means that when you bring back a Sepulchral Guard fighter from the dead, they have no tokens – meaning they’re free to act again as you wish.

I think this is a great change for not only them but the skaven too.

Sorry if I’m being thick,  but can anyone point me to the actual rule saying you don’t keep your tokens if brought back from being out of action? I can’t see it saying that anywhere in the new rulebook.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Gash Bauer said:

Bit of speculation on my part but they might not have been ready to ship, as I believe this release following so quickly behind the actual box was partially due to the leak.  Like I said though, pure tin-foil hat theory.

Which leak? IIRC they were present in warhammer community article presenting october WD so just in time isn't it?

I'm a bit of a compulsive collectioner, I hope we'll get those sleeves one day ?

The preview for the Eyes of the Nine is up, and they will definitely bring something new to the game. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/02/2nd-oct-warband-focus-eyes-of-the-ninegw-homepage-post-4/

Lots of subtle details in this preview, including the fact that the Blue Horror can’t actually be taken out of action and therefore won’t generate glory for the attacker. (Read the text carefully; there’s certainly a lot of it!)

Seems like a very strong warband. Horrors can be spawned in enemy territory and requiring at least two activations to kill; that's really annoying!  

The Acolytes only have 2 health and the Tzaangor only has 3... It will be interesting to see how it will deal with aggressive rush decks like Skaven and Reavers, or against a durable ranged opponent like the Farstriders.

It says that if the blue would be taken out of action, flip the card over and replace the model with the brimstone instead. The brimstone side of the card says that if the fighter is taken out of action, flip the card over and keep the upgrades. (You would then follow the normal rules for taking the model out of action because the fighter’s rules say nothing to the contrary, so you would remove the model from the battlefield.)

Edited by Tutenkharnage
Typing on a phone is hard!

50 minutes ago, Tutenkharnage said:

It says that if the blue would be taken out of action, flip the card over and replace the model with the brimstone instead. The brimstone side of the card says that if the fighter is taken out of action, flip the card over and keep the upgrades. (You would then follow the normal rules for taking the model out of action because the fighter’s rules say nothing to the contrary, so you would remove the model from the battlefield.)

Yes, this seems to be the case:

Action > Summon Blue
Blue Dies > Prevent death > flip card to Brimstone > replace model with Brimstone
Brimstone dies > Do not prevent death > flip card back to Blue > replace model with Blue
Repeat

The Blue Horror and the Brimstone Horror are the same fighter, but with two different states. Like a skeleton he can be resurrected, but he doesn't start on the board and switches forms after dying once.

This seems to fly in the face of the "deal 4 cleave damage in one packet" meta that evolved in Shadespire, since you need to deal two separate packets of damage to finish off the Brimstone. It says he is "not driven back" so this also shuts down Trap.

Cards like Lightning Whip seem to be the perfect counter.

Edited by UnderworldsOnly