The Shadespire News and Rumour Thread

Gaz Taylor

Mischievous Spirits is double edge but can save some part of the hold objective. Great Concussion is also a good way to keep the enemy away from you models.

1 hour ago, Qaz said:

Interesting definition of a successful attack action (Last Chance #336). Wouldn't have thought it worked that way.

That is nice: it denies also the bloowarriors inspiration. But it don't help to score Let's the Blood flows.

2 hours ago, Qaz said:

Interesting definition of a successful attack action (Last Chance #336). Wouldn't have thought it worked that way.

What do you call an attack that successfully connects and the opponent fails the save  .... but does no damage?

Its like Kylo Ren shooting Luke Skywalker with the entire group of AT-ATs ... and doing no damage ... I believe that was not a successful attack ...

21 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

What do you call an attack that successfully connects and the opponent fails the save  .... but does no damage?

Its like Kylo Ren shooting Luke Skywalker with the entire group of AT-ATs ... and doing no damage ... I believe that was not a successful attack ...

As per page 20 in the rulebook "if the attack total is greater than the defence total, the Attack action is successful. The target suffers damage [...]" . The full stop is important here. The Attack action is considered a success before damage is applied.

Doesn't really matter to me. As long as everything is consistent then all is good (like how they rolled back on the first Time Trap FAQ).  

Edited by Qaz

15 minutes ago, Qaz said:

As per page 20 in the rulebook "if the attack total is greater than the defence total, the Attack action is successful. The target suffers damage [...]" . The full stop is important here. The Attack action is considered a success before damage is applied.

Doesn't really matter to me. As long as everything is consistent then all is good (like how they rolled back on the first Time Trap FAQ).  

Yeah ... the full stop is important.

But it looks like reactions rules on p.24 are the controlling rule for the issue.

The Last Chance card is an Attack reaction that is played “during the attack” that interrupts the attack and modifies the success condition. If it was an “after the attack” then the success condition would be able to be met.

Either way, consistency is good! :) 

4 minutes ago, Rintrah56 said:

Really pleased to see not just the new FAQ, but the updated rulebook PDF too. Makes for less cross-referencing during games which is always a good thing for me. 

Where is this? I can't see it...

They gave it brief mention in the latest Community article.... it’s on the main Warhammer Underworlds homepage - scroll right down to the bottom for the rules PDF.

Don’t think there’s anything actually new in it, but it includes basic things like the revised roll-off system, the revised objective token setup wording etc. Could be printed out or just referred to via iPad or whatever.

Also think it might be the first time the rulebook has been made available to all online? Could be imagining that though.

https://warhammerunderworlds.com/

• Thanks 1

As a counterpoint to all the aggressive cards in the new expansions 2 defensive Ploys have caught my eye as being potentially very strong:

Frozen in Time - only a 50/50 chance but removing a key enemy fighter from consideration for an entire phase is potentially huge, and this is a card that is broadly more favorable to higher model count war-bands as the lower model count bands will feel the loss of a single fighter for a phase more acutely.

Quick Thinker - as long as I'm reading the rule interactions correctly here the most recent FAQ clarifies that if a declared Charge action cannot be resolved as e.g. 'my opponent makes a reaction that moves the target out of range of my fighter’s Attack action' the fighter still counts as having made a charge action - so your opponent declares a charge against your fighter, at the end of the move portion of the charge you play Quick Thinker as a reaction, moving your fighter away out of range, the enemy has been robbed of his attack and is left unable to activate again this phase as he counts as having charged. A premier defensive card?

25 minutes ago, BigT said:

Quick Thinker - as long as I'm reading the rule interactions correctly here the most recent FAQ clarifies that if a declared Charge action cannot be resolved as e.g. 'my opponent makes a reaction that moves the target out of range of my fighter’s Attack action' the fighter still counts as having made a charge action - so your opponent declares a charge against your fighter, at the end of the move portion of the charge you play Quick Thinker as a reaction, moving your fighter away out of range, the enemy has been robbed of his attack and is left unable to activate again this phase as he counts as having charged. A premier defensive card?

Yes, it looks pretty good especially if you're not planning to move anytime soon. The counterplay is to charge models that have moved. 

29 minutes ago, BigT said:

Frozen in Time - only a 50/50 chance but removing a key enemy fighter from consideration for an entire phase is potentially huge, and this is a card that is broadly more favorable to higher model count war-bands as the lower model count bands will feel the loss of a single fighter for a phase more acutely.

Absolutely brutal when timed right. Imagine playing without the Warden or Skritch in phase 2 or 3.  

11 minutes ago, Qaz said:

Yes, it looks pretty good especially if you're not planning to move anytime soon. The counterplay is to charge models that have moved. 

Absolutely brutal when timed right. Imagine playing without the Warden or Skritch in phase 2 or 3.  

Which is why I'm going to start using Misdirection in my Skaven deck - just in case.

18 minutes ago, Changer said:

Which is why I'm going to start using Misdirection in my Skaven deck - just in case.

A good shout, and a particularly good counter for Skaven and the Guard to use as they often times won't miss not being able to activate a grunt for a phase and Frozen in Time could to an extent be turned in your favor -  by perhaps denying the enemy an easy kill/glory on a now invulnerable (for a phase) 2 wound model/objective holder who was unlikely to be activated in any case

19 hours ago, Sim said:

Where is this? I can't see it...

6 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Here’s the current direct link:

Warhammer_Underworlds_Shadespire_Ruleboo

Since your link appears to be broken (it is on my end, at least), here's one that works:

https://warhammerunderworlds.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2018/04/Warhammer_Underworlds_Shadespire_Rulebook_ENG.pdf

Or just browse to the Warhammer Underworlds homepage (warhammerunderworlds.com) and scroll all the way to the bottom; the rules PDF link is in the second to last section, right above the twitter cast and desktop wallpapers, on the left...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Spinsane said:

Since your link appears to be broken (it is on my end, at least), here's one that works

Interesting, it’s an embedded link that works great on mobile ... and fails completely on MS Edge. It’s the exact same end location. I blame the Deepkin for stealing the soul of the document away from non-mobile browsers.

Thanks for killing off those vile scum and returning a direct path to the heart of the matter! B| I’ll have to be more cautious in the future.

Whoo, i didn't notice that change in FAQ how to use Time Trap. It make more sense for me now. Playing Time Trap you can do only things that you can normally do. But as Time Trap say, that you choose fighter and do action with him, it go around charge, cuz charge just don't allow you to activate that fighter. So you can choose fighter which charged this turn, you just can't use move or another charge, cuz charge is in fact move too and you can't use 2x move with fighter in that same turn.

3 hours ago, Reggi said:

Whoo, i didn't notice that change in FAQ how to use Time Trap. It make more sense for me now. Playing Time Trap you can do only things that you can normally do. But as Time Trap say, that you choose fighter and do action with him, it go around charge, cuz charge just don't allow you to activate that fighter. So you can choose fighter which charged this turn, you just can't use move or another charge, cuz charge is in fact move too and you can't use 2x move with fighter in that same turn.

Not exactly correct. Fighters CAN make multiple move/charges in a round with the right kind of ploy(s) just not with Time Trap as that card does not specify an action type.

10 minutes ago, ReynakZhen said:

Not exactly correct. Fighters CAN make multiple move/charges in a round with the right kind of ploy(s) just not with Time Trap as that card does not specify an action type.

Ofc they can with ploy, thats why i wrote "normally". So, without playing anything that change rules from rulebook. Fighter's can't do 2x move on activations in one turn. Ploys are totaly different things. And i though i didn't need to wrote about them when i write about Time Trap. Cuz you can't play ploy to change what you can do with Time Trap. Ploys give you diffirent action, they don't interact with Time Trap or with activations.

You can't move with fighter, then play Time Trap and move him agains, cuz you have Ready for Action in your deck/hand/discard pile, that would allow you to move again.

Edited by Reggi

The thing it took me a while to wrap my head around is the fact that making a charge doesn't prevent you from attacking again - it only prevents you from ACTIVATING again. And Time Trap allows any fighter to make an action, regardless of their ability to activate again or not.

Mini guide to Time Trap:

Un-activated fighter --> may move, charge, attack - put appropriate token on him
Moved fighter --> may only attack - He already has a movement token
Charged fighter --> may only attack - He already has a charge token

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Goblin-King said:

The thing it took me a while to wrap my head around is the fact that making a charge doesn't prevent you from attacking again - it only prevents you from ACTIVATING again. And Time Trap allows any fighter to make an action, regardless of their ability to activate again or not.

Mini guide to Time Trap:

Un-activated fighter --> may move, charge, attack - put appropriate token on him
Moved fighter --> may only attack - He already has a movement token
Charged fighter --> may only attack - He already has a charge token

Exacly :)  That's why i think, looking at wording of Time Trap and charge rules, it make sense. And why they just didn't put on charge rules "it can't preform actions". Just strange that they put something diffirent on previus FAQs.

Edited by Reggi