Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

I must say I'm not finding the SQ command ability as strong as I thought, I rarely get to use it on key units as they usually overkill and are left with nothing in the following hero phase, so it usually goes to weaker units like warlocks or smaller witch units... However I'm still not sure about changing to Bloodwrack Shrine to unlock BS troops, as it would mean separating the Hagg Nar trait from the blood shield and thus making it more difficult for my army to stay within those two (key) buffs.

Also today had a major win against kharadron overlords, I was winning in objectives but swiped his army away anyways. He just didn't have the firepower to deal with my Hagg Nar army, the Slaughter Queen on cauldron tanked 36 skyhook shots through the game, plus an admiral assault, and survived with a single wound. My opponent was really annoyed because he said my army isn't bad at anything, I hit harder than him, saved better and was faster... And thinking about it, what is our weakness? With all our buffs DoK are good at everything! What are you guys finding to be our counter?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Azurious said:

I get the feeling some armies are designed for big command ability combos and some are not.  Both DoK and IDK sharethe restriction that the model using the command ability must be the general whereas maggotkin does not.  All three of these books claim to have been written with 2.0 in mind so I am assuming atm that the restrictions are intentional.

I agree completely, I don't think the wording is accidental.

I don't think that armies like the Idoneth or DoK lack the tools that the new use of Command Abilities provide to older or weaker factions too. When I first started looking at either the DoK/Idoneth as allies and potential second armies, it became apparent just how much the older armies lack. 

Prayers, spells, temples/enclaves, artifacts etc the list goes on. If the DoK don't get the CA combos, I don't think it'll harm them too much overall. 

Whilst on the talk of allies, do any of you bother with allies for DoK? They seem so strong, and with the buffs provided by sticking all DoK, I can't imagine that people do. However, I'm looking at trying a hydra (or two) or dragon just  for the rule of cool when initially expanding my first 1k of DoK from just sneks. Maybe even an assassin, for some old school Khainite action! 

I've said this before, but it remains true - I'm not playing allies cause I can't fit all the DoK units I want into 2000 points! I might try out a sorceress in future though, as a cheaper spell option, but, I get to roll for so many prayers in my command phase I might not need more magic.

I'm looking forward to being able to command ability my witch aelves to run 6" and then charge. :D

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, DJMoose said:

Many command abilities  currently on warscrolls say "if this model is your general." One can only assume that phrase no longer applies in the new edition, considering ANY hero can use command abilities if you have the command points. That would be extremely restrictive and fly in the face of what they are trying to do in this new edition: make all heroes appealing to use.

Actually, no. It's almost certainly, if not deliberately at least definitely, going to restrict those abilities to generals only.

I have nothing but high hopes for the new edition of AoS. With the new piling in rules, my snakes just became deadlier. Just waiting now for our enemy,  Slaanesh, to get their battletome so we can slaughter them for Khaine. Fellow Daughters of Khaine players, let this be our summer of blood! Kaela Mensha Khaine!

I'm heading to the third heat of the AoS GT at warhammer world this weekend, representing DoK in one last hurrah before the new edition drops, hopefully I'll be able to sneak into a qualifying bracket again, the finals were a blast last year.

On 6/4/2018 at 10:47 AM, syph0n said:

Whilst on the talk of allies, do any of you bother with allies for DoK? They seem so strong, and with the buffs provided by sticking all DoK, I can't imagine that people do. However, I'm looking at trying a hydra (or two) or dragon just  for the rule of cool when initially expanding my first 1k of DoK from just sneks. Maybe even an assassin, for some old school Khainite action! 

For now, yes, to be able to play bigger games while I build them up :) The only thing I'm missing a bit is sniping options. I was going for Melusai blood stalkers.... but with the new -1 to hit from 'look out sir'.... 

11 minutes ago, Kramer said:

For now, yes, to be able to play bigger games while I build them up :) The only thing I'm missing a bit is sniping options. I was going for Melusai blood stalkers.... but with the new -1 to hit from 'look out sir'.... 

I love the Melusai and am building my list around them and basically anything but Witch Elves (I know, I know). I wish the Blood Stalkers were 'better', but I don't know if they're as bad as all that. I saw a game where Morathi was used as the sniper via magic. That's a pretty hefty points cost mind...

Don’t feel bad about not playing witch elves. Many of my opponents are happy at least to face my snakes because EVERYONE plays the hordes of witch elves. This is not an indictment on our fellow DoK players, just a critique on the diversity of our armies. People enjoy playing unique armies that have their own special theme. Witch elves form the battleline of most DoK armies, so it’s not like they shouldn’t be playing them. It’s just that armies in general nowadays are more limited in the variety of troop types. 

51 minutes ago, syph0n said:

I love the Melusai and am building my list around them and basically anything but Witch Elves (I know, I know). I wish the Blood Stalkers were 'better', but I don't know if they're as bad as all that. I saw a game where Morathi was used as the sniper via magic. That's a pretty hefty points cost mind...

Haha that's not the cost i'm worried about ;) She's my reward for when I get to 2K, so that might be awhile. 

No they are not all bad, but they are also not build to be troop killers in my mind. But with their roll of 6+ for MW getting a minus 1 against heroes is a bit of a let down. But I will definitely add them before the end because the models are gorgeous! And of course some ranged threat will also impact enemy positioning, and let's them protect back field objectives and so it will be fine. But that is the one thing I would consider allying in. Maybe the crossbow stormcasts or even the ballista. I have two, now, completely outdated reaper bolt throwers. Two witches as crew are easily converted. But we'll see :D 

And a snake focussed army sounds awesome! Love the idea of temple nest, so no worries that you don't play the witch elves. I think I would agree with @Scythian. It's a cool different challenge. 

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Haha that's not the cost i'm worried about ;) She's my reward for when I get to 2K, so that might be awhile. 

No they are not all bad, but they are also not build to be troop killers in my mind. But with their roll of 6+ for MW getting a minus 1 against heroes is a bit of a let down. But I will definitely add them before the end because the models are gorgeous! And of course some ranged threat will also impact enemy positioning, and let's them protect back field objectives and so it will be fine. But that is the one thing I would consider allying in. Maybe the crossbow stormcasts or even the ballista. I have two, now, completely outdated reaper bolt throwers. Two witches as crew are easily converted. But we'll see :D 

And a snake focussed army sounds awesome! Love the idea of temple nest, so no worries that you don't play the witch elves. I think I would agree with @Scythian. It's a cool different challenge. 

I feel the same about my reapers. I've got a mixed order list, which is essentially just Dark Aelves, but with proxy High Aelf bolt throwers now. I'll definitely get the new Stormcast ballista, just because my son has them, but they won't grace my DoK army. That's for Melusai, Khinerai and Warlocks... Maybe a hydra or two! 

1 hour ago, syph0n said:

Maybe a hydra or two

Hydra is a good fit indeed! And I still like executioners and assassins due to 1. old world fluff, and 2. I don't have any snakes yet so the MW in combat are great, and the suprise of the assassin is always fun :) 

51 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

I hope they will make Blood Stalkers batteline with Medusa General and drop their point cost to 120 so they would be playable but far from auto-include. 

Agreed, battleline would help a bunch. But with so many points changes announced i'm not going to try to suggest a good point value. I'm not the most competitive gamer as is, and without any insight in what the impact of all those changes will be... I just don't know. But again would be cool! For 120 battleline, they will def kick out my 10 sisters unit I use for that sort of thing. 

20 hours ago, Kramer said:

Agreed, battleline would help a bunch. But with so many points changes announced i'm not going to try to suggest a good point value. I'm not the most competitive gamer as is, and without any insight in what the impact of all those changes will be... I just don't know. But again would be cool! For 120 battleline, they will def kick out my 10 sisters unit I use for that sort of thing. 

I have play tested Stalkers and have found them a complete waste of points. No way I would ever give up Blood Sisters for anything. With the new pile in rules, Blood Sisters will be deadlier than ever. 10 crappy shots from archers that will only give me mortals 16% of the time? You just can’t make that argument to me. Making Stalkers battleline would mean nothing to me as I would never replace my current list. The only thing I would take out would be my Heartrenders, but that would only be for wizards or maybe an Avatar. Slaughter your enemies for Khaine, my Daughters! Kaela Mensha Khaine!

12 minutes ago, Kramer said:

The models are dope and not the whole hobby is about winning (at least for me). There I just done did it ;) 

Hey, if you’re all about the models aesthetically then roll with them. As a competitive player used to facing killer tournament lists, I need the high damage output. Play what you love, Kramer!

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:08 PM, DantePQ said:

I hope they will make Blood Stalkers batteline with Medusa General and drop their point cost to 120 so they would be playable but far from auto-include. 

I doubt we'll see much in the way of points changes. Curse of being a new book.

I know another edition is quite literally just around the corner, but I figure that some core elements won't change drastically (esp as DOK have a very new book). Plus this question relates to models so chances are most able to answer already have the models in physical form.

What I'm wondering is about the most efficient/best way to build the standard core witch/sisters of slaughter. As an expensive unit (that hasn't gotten any cheaper) and yet is a core army unit with variable weapon and builds it would be useful info to have an idea how each of us is organises units into different groups, with special focus on the command options - ergo hornblowers and standard bearers as they are two model construction choices that, once made, identify them instantly. 

An idea of if you chose bucklers or another blade would also be good, though as that's a whole unit choice its a slightly different discussion to go into depth on the pros and cons - although as a general point I do recall debate when the faction launched and I believe that bucklers won out in general for the added save and chance of doing damage ,over the bonus attack of taking a second knife. 

On 6/5/2018 at 5:11 PM, Lucentia said:

I'm heading to the third heat of the AoS GT at warhammer world this weekend, representing DoK in one last hurrah before the new edition drops, hopefully I'll be able to sneak into a qualifying bracket again, the finals were a blast last year.

I am now back from this event which was, as always, a whole lot of fun.  I even managed to scrape a very respectable 11th place (out of 88 competitors) which is the best I've ever done competitively and I am very pleased with!

Quite a nasty field to my eye, even the lower tables were featuring some pretty lethal looking lists, lots of Nagash, lots of Tzeentch, fair amount of Nurgle and a considerable number of DoK.

My list was Hagg Nar with Morathi, Slaughter Cauldron General, 2 Hag Queens, 30 Witch Aelves, 10 Witch Aelves, 10 Sisters of Slaughter, 15 Blood Sisters and 2x5 Heartrenders.  I wanted to run a bit of a mix of everything, and I couldn't resist taking Morathi along to the sort of competitive christening of the new book given that she's the centerpiece, and all.

Game 1 was Starstrike versus Legions of Nagash (Nagash, 40 skellies, 10 skellies, 10 Black knights, 2 Morghasts, 2 Necromancers).   My opponent managed to double cast shadow pinions on the first time and decided to whizz Nagash up for a first turn charge, where he managed to deal  a grand total of 3 wounds to the Blood Sisters and was promptly chopped down in return when I manage to get the 2nd turn priority roll.  After that it was mostly just mopping up and snagging the objectives as they fell.

Game 2 was Duality of Death versus Stormcast (Using the battallion which lets you taxi in units of paladins via prosecutors, 3x5 Judicators as troops, 2 Relictors, Lord-Celestant, 10 protectors, 10 retributors,  1 Spellweaver).  I messed up my deployment here cos I slightly misunderstood how the battalion worked and didn't screen properly.  Fortunately Morathi is just flat busted in this mission, which saved me some real trouble.  I got first turn and put transformed Morathi onto one objective, and I absolutely, 100% should have dropped the Khinerai onto the other one to prevent my opponent from just Lightning Chariot, which of course they promptly did.  And at the same time they dumped 20 paladins right in my face, shot off my 10 model witch screen, charged through and killed off a good 9 or so of the Blood Sisters whilst slapping the cauldron down by 10 wounds.  Fortunately another priority roll in my favour let me fix things up, a successful Mindrazor on the witch blob cleared out all the Paladins, and it was a bit of a messy combat round that objective for the rest of the game until the surviving Blood Sisters managed to get in and mince the stormcast heroes.  This was the only game in the tournament where my general was killed, and also the only game where Morathi wasn't wounded (or indeed targeted) at all.  Also the 10 model unit of Sisters of Slaughter really pulled their weight, originally positioned just to screen Morathi they were able to sneak in and use their 6" pile in to snake their way between the backfield Judicator units to great effect.

Game 3 was Battle for the Pass versus Disciples of Tzeentch (Lord of Change, 3x Tzaangor Shamans, 4x 10 Tzaangor units, 2x 10 Brimstone Horrors, 2x 30 Brimstone Horrors, 6x Skyfires).  A bit of a messy match here, all those horrors gave my opponent formidable board control.  I gambled on a double turn to try and dash across the no man's land, which I didn't get, allowing the Tzeenth forces to really put the pressure on, killing most of the Blood Sisters and all of the Sisters of Slaughter, dominating the central objectives for the most part.   There were only ~3 Blood Sisters left at the top of my 2nd turn, so it was really up to the Witches to save the day, which they began by wiping out the Lord of Change and 10 Tzaangors, Morathi transforming to deal with the Skyfires and free up some pressure from the remaining Blood Sisters (who were only finally wiped out in the closing turns of the game).  Lots of tricky, careful combats and movement, I had to have the Cauldron and Hag Queens running around to stop Shamans zipping onto my home objective.   The 30 model units of Brimstone Horrors were positioned in an elongated V from back of my opponents board edge to the central objectives, positioned to prevent my Heartrenders from dropping in and doing anything, but one of the Brimstone units manged to get embroiled in a busy combat, enough for me to sprinkle attacks on them just enough to leave a space for the Khinerai to swoop in and snag 4 points with their 6" bonus move.  I got pretty lucky to win this one, I thought my opponent had it in the bag after the first couple of rounds, but things just flicked in my favour.

Game 4 was Knife to the Heart versus Disciples of Tzeentch (2x Tzaangor Shamans, 30x Tzaangors, 20x Tzaangors, 20x Tzaangors, 10x Blue Horrors, Changeling, Gaunt Summoner).  It was pretty fun to see a melee Tzeentch army, but this was also my first (and only) loss of the tournament, so not that fun I guess!  They used the Balewind shunt (which is still kinda lame, but whatever) and destiny dice to ensure a big first turn charge, wiping out the 30 witches, over half the Blood Sisters and all the Sisters of Slaughter.  Though with Mindrazor the remaining Blood Sisters did manage to chop through the 30 Tzaangors (with some help from the doomed Sisters of Slaughter shields!) but that still left 40 Tzaangors to deal with, on top of the magic.  Morathi tried to snipe off the Gaunt Summoner but failed to do so at every opportunity, in the end I dropped the Khinerai just to kill him for some kill points.  Of course on Knife to the Heart getting a major victory is extremely difficult so I could keep things to a minor loss by just backing up and keeping him from charging any further without giving me more points.  We did continue the game a little beyond the official end point and decided that if I had pushed forwards instead (and gotten every buff off at every possible moment...) then I could have probably sneaked the minor win here, but, that's how it goes!

Game 5 was Scorched Earth versus Stormcast (Drakesworn Templar, 4x Fulminators, 2x Tempestors, Relictor, Castellant, Venator, 3x5 Liberators, 3x Longstrikes.  The last game of the event, everyone is always pretty tired.  My opponent made a mistake in advancing his drakes forwards but leaving his Fulminators out of range of Staunch Defender, the priority role fell in my favour and I was able to buff the Blood Sisters to the nines and delete that threat.  Of course he did manage to land a single wound on Morathi via Rain of Stairs, who then immediately got mad and transformed, preventing me from using her to snipe out his support heroes from afar, instead she winged up the board and spent the rest of the game ineffectually flailing at 5 liberators....  I dropped the Khinerai to attempt to steal and burn the two objectives that were guarded only by 5 liberators, but failed to do anything of note on both counts.  The stardrake and tempestors moved to try and retake control of the situation, each charging at one side of the big witch squad to prevent too many from piling in whilst the stardrake started chowing on Blood Sisters.  But the priority roll fell in my favour once again and I was able to take out the stardrake with the Cauldron's command ability on the sisters, freeing them up to move right up into all the support heroes and burn the central objective, which was pretty much game, though we played on for the sake of kill points.

Overall I was 11th with a total of 8510 kill points out of a potential 10000, which is more than good enough for me.  I didn't get any of the fun special prizes for painting or best game though, I'll have to work on that!

I was debating lists which don't use Slaughter Cauldrons as the general, but that command ability, whilst situational, saved me so many times during the tournament that I don't think I can justify it.  Blood Sisters are hideously brutal, even when there's only a few left they still put in the work, MVPs in basically every match, not to disparage the good name of the Witch Aelves, who are always great.  I'm not very good with Khinerai I think, I never really got them to work as the character sniping, objective grabbing annoyance that they're suited for, though there is a psychological element in keeping your opponent spread out and wary to leave objectives which can be advantageous in and of itself.  I think putting them in 1 squad of 10 for one less drop, or at least get used to dropping both units in the same spot, and waiting till turn 3 to do so for the re-rolls, would probably see them a bit more impactful.  Morathi did not die in any of my games, though she came close a couple of times, she is quite expensive and inconsistent as a long range mortal wound source, which is how I default to using her, but Mindrazor is invaluable, and her transformed self can do some good stuff with buff support.  Plus the model is incredible, I don't see myself dropping her at present, but I imagine there is probably a better list without her in it.

Onwards to the finals in October then, let's see what AoS 2 has to offer!

On 6/10/2018 at 4:28 PM, Lucentia said:

I am now back from this event which was, as always, a whole lot of fun.  I even managed to scrape a very respectable 11th place (out of 88 competitors) which is the best I've ever done competitively and I am very pleased with!

Quite a nasty field to my eye, even the lower tables were featuring some pretty lethal looking lists, lots of Nagash, lots of Tzeentch, fair amount of Nurgle and a considerable number of DoK.

My list was Hagg Nar with Morathi, Slaughter Cauldron General, 2 Hag Queens, 30 Witch Aelves, 10 Witch Aelves, 10 Sisters of Slaughter, 15 Blood Sisters and 2x5 Heartrenders.  I wanted to run a bit of a mix of everything, and I couldn't resist taking Morathi along to the sort of competitive christening of the new book given that she's the centerpiece, and all.

Game 1 was Starstrike versus Legions of Nagash (Nagash, 40 skellies, 10 skellies, 10 Black knights, 2 Morghasts, 2 Necromancers).   My opponent managed to double cast shadow pinions on the first time and decided to whizz Nagash up for a first turn charge, where he managed to deal  a grand total of 3 wounds to the Blood Sisters and was promptly chopped down in return when I manage to get the 2nd turn priority roll.  After that it was mostly just mopping up and snagging the objectives as they fell.

Game 2 was Duality of Death versus Stormcast (Using the battallion which lets you taxi in units of paladins via prosecutors, 3x5 Judicators as troops, 2 Relictors, Lord-Celestant, 10 protectors, 10 retributors,  1 Spellweaver).  I messed up my deployment here cos I slightly misunderstood how the battalion worked and didn't screen properly.  Fortunately Morathi is just flat busted in this mission, which saved me some real trouble.  I got first turn and put transformed Morathi onto one objective, and I absolutely, 100% should have dropped the Khinerai onto the other one to prevent my opponent from just Lightning Chariot, which of course they promptly did.  And at the same time they dumped 20 paladins right in my face, shot off my 10 model witch screen, charged through and killed off a good 9 or so of the Blood Sisters whilst slapping the cauldron down by 10 wounds.  Fortunately another priority roll in my favour let me fix things up, a successful Mindrazor on the witch blob cleared out all the Paladins, and it was a bit of a messy combat round that objective for the rest of the game until the surviving Blood Sisters managed to get in and mince the stormcast heroes.  This was the only game in the tournament where my general was killed, and also the only game where Morathi wasn't wounded (or indeed targeted) at all.  Also the 10 model unit of Sisters of Slaughter really pulled their weight, originally positioned just to screen Morathi they were able to sneak in and use their 6" pile in to snake their way between the backfield Judicator units to great effect.

Game 3 was Battle for the Pass versus Disciples of Tzeentch (Lord of Change, 3x Tzaangor Shamans, 4x 10 Tzaangor units, 2x 10 Brimstone Horrors, 2x 30 Brimstone Horrors, 6x Skyfires).  A bit of a messy match here, all those horrors gave my opponent formidable board control.  I gambled on a double turn to try and dash across the no man's land, which I didn't get, allowing the Tzeenth forces to really put the pressure on, killing most of the Blood Sisters and all of the Sisters of Slaughter, dominating the central objectives for the most part.   There were only ~3 Blood Sisters left at the top of my 2nd turn, so it was really up to the Witches to save the day, which they began by wiping out the Lord of Change and 10 Tzaangors, Morathi transforming to deal with the Skyfires and free up some pressure from the remaining Blood Sisters (who were only finally wiped out in the closing turns of the game).  Lots of tricky, careful combats and movement, I had to have the Cauldron and Hag Queens running around to stop Shamans zipping onto my home objective.   The 30 model units of Brimstone Horrors were positioned in an elongated V from back of my opponents board edge to the central objectives, positioned to prevent my Heartrenders from dropping in and doing anything, but one of the Brimstone units manged to get embroiled in a busy combat, enough for me to sprinkle attacks on them just enough to leave a space for the Khinerai to swoop in and snag 4 points with their 6" bonus move.  I got pretty lucky to win this one, I thought my opponent had it in the bag after the first couple of rounds, but things just flicked in my favour.

Game 4 was Knife to the Heart versus Disciples of Tzeentch (2x Tzaangor Shamans, 30x Tzaangors, 20x Tzaangors, 20x Tzaangors, 10x Blue Horrors, Changeling, Gaunt Summoner).  It was pretty fun to see a melee Tzeentch army, but this was also my first (and only) loss of the tournament, so not that fun I guess!  They used the Balewind shunt (which is still kinda lame, but whatever) and destiny dice to ensure a big first turn charge, wiping out the 30 witches, over half the Blood Sisters and all the Sisters of Slaughter.  Though with Mindrazor the remaining Blood Sisters did manage to chop through the 30 Tzaangors (with some help from the doomed Sisters of Slaughter shields!) but that still left 40 Tzaangors to deal with, on top of the magic.  Morathi tried to snipe off the Gaunt Summoner but failed to do so at every opportunity, in the end I dropped the Khinerai just to kill him for some kill points.  Of course on Knife to the Heart getting a major victory is extremely difficult so I could keep things to a minor loss by just backing up and keeping him from charging any further without giving me more points.  We did continue the game a little beyond the official end point and decided that if I had pushed forwards instead (and gotten every buff off at every possible moment...) then I could have probably sneaked the minor win here, but, that's how it goes!

Game 5 was Scorched Earth versus Stormcast (Drakesworn Templar, 4x Fulminators, 2x Tempestors, Relictor, Castellant, Venator, 3x5 Liberators, 3x Longstrikes.  The last game of the event, everyone is always pretty tired.  My opponent made a mistake in advancing his drakes forwards but leaving his Fulminators out of range of Staunch Defender, the priority role fell in my favour and I was able to buff the Blood Sisters to the nines and delete that threat.  Of course he did manage to land a single wound on Morathi via Rain of Stairs, who then immediately got mad and transformed, preventing me from using her to snipe out his support heroes from afar, instead she winged up the board and spent the rest of the game ineffectually flailing at 5 liberators....  I dropped the Khinerai to attempt to steal and burn the two objectives that were guarded only by 5 liberators, but failed to do anything of note on both counts.  The stardrake and tempestors moved to try and retake control of the situation, each charging at one side of the big witch squad to prevent too many from piling in whilst the stardrake started chowing on Blood Sisters.  But the priority roll fell in my favour once again and I was able to take out the stardrake with the Cauldron's command ability on the sisters, freeing them up to move right up into all the support heroes and burn the central objective, which was pretty much game, though we played on for the sake of kill points.

Overall I was 11th with a total of 8510 kill points out of a potential 10000, which is more than good enough for me.  I didn't get any of the fun special prizes for painting or best game though, I'll have to work on that!

I was debating lists which don't use Slaughter Cauldrons as the general, but that command ability, whilst situational, saved me so many times during the tournament that I don't think I can justify it.  Blood Sisters are hideously brutal, even when there's only a few left they still put in the work, MVPs in basically every match, not to disparage the good name of the Witch Aelves, who are always great.  I'm not very good with Khinerai I think, I never really got them to work as the character sniping, objective grabbing annoyance that they're suited for, though there is a psychological element in keeping your opponent spread out and wary to leave objectives which can be advantageous in and of itself.  I think putting them in 1 squad of 10 for one less drop, or at least get used to dropping both units in the same spot, and waiting till turn 3 to do so for the re-rolls, would probably see them a bit more impactful.  Morathi did not die in any of my games, though she came close a couple of times, she is quite expensive and inconsistent as a long range mortal wound source, which is how I default to using her, but Mindrazor is invaluable, and her transformed self can do some good stuff with buff support.  Plus the model is incredible, I don't see myself dropping her at present, but I imagine there is probably a better list without her in it.

Onwards to the finals in October then, let's see what AoS 2 has to offer!

Great tournament report! 11th overall is phenomenal!

Hi everyone. 

New AoS player here. Ive never played a GW game before, forewarning you. I’m starting DoK as my first ever army (!) but looking just to play at about 1k points to start and build from there.

My first plan was to accommodate Morathi into a 1k list. (Mental note: start planning Morathi cosplay when I get around to buying her).

This is what I ended up with (and somehow, it doesn’t feel cheesy enough...)

Temple: Hagg Nar

1 Hag Queen (60)

General; Khainite Pendent, Catechism of Murder.

1 Hag Queen (60)

Blessing of Khaine.

1 Morathi (480)

20 Witch Aelves (200)

20 Witch Aelves (200)

Not sure about that list because I don’t really want Witches without a CoB. I’m pro Melusai so figured the following alternative list:

Temple: Hagg Nar 

1 Bloodwrack Shrine (Mindrazor) (220)

Shadow Stone or Amulet of Dark Fire

1 Hag Queen (Catechism of Murder) (60)

10 Blood Sisters (280)

10 Blood Sisters (280)

5 Khinerai Heartrenders (80)

5 Khinerai Heartrenders (80)

I’m trying to build a balanced all-comers list as I still get used to the game and just want a decent range of options. I think the second list looks better but the first list feels oddly fun (+ Morathi). 

Here’s where I’m stuck:

1. How badly do I need a CoB? Are my Melusai going to get throttled hard at 1k? Given the Medusa-General requirement, I can’t get a Hag-CoB or a Slaughter-CoB in here! 

2. Thanks to the upcoming “Look Out Sir (ARGH)” rule, is my Foot-Hag going to be safer?  How many Foot-Hags should I be running at 1k? Are they going to die a lot? 

3. Can you play DoK without Witchbrew? Would Snake heavy lists get away without that on raw power? (This is my “blond” question of the day). 

4. Is it possible to even dream of a 1k Morathi list?! (Okay... two blond questions).

Archived