Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

Not real commission as my friend is doing this army but yes I pay him for that. I won't mention specifics but it wasn't that expensive ;)

And thanks for any kind words I'll let Artur know that his amazing work is appreciated. I came up with this color scheme and I think it turn out better then I thought ;)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jumped in guys for a little 1k list. Bought some models and has 2 lots of Doomfire Warlocks, so thought why not. 

Ordered a Cauldron and 2 lots of Blood Sisters - thematically suits my lizard Order Serpentis army!

List would be:

Bloodwrack Shrine

Hag

Slaughter Queen 

2x5 Blood Sisters

2x5 Doomfire Warlocks

980 points. 

Wondered if it was worth dumping the Slaughter Queen in favour of another hag (or 2) or use the old metal Witch Aelves (10) until I buy a box of the plastic ones if I like painting these. Maybe even ally in a Hydra if I dump 1 unit of Warlocks. 

What artifacts and temples suit this best? I had in mind Draichi Ganeth, the artifact on the Slaughter Queen. Not sure about what to give the Shrine as General (no artifact at present if used on the Queen). 

I know it's not the most competitive etc, but it's to dip my toe and compliment the Serpentis army to start with. Help appreciated! 

Your army looks amazing @DantePQ, it was one of the factors that made me decide in favour of purplish tones instead of green, as well as going for NMM instead of true metallics, and I must say I'm quite pleased with the result so far:

1879379454_CollageMaker_20180526_1349318262.jpg.0d9a2ff2f443d058897a2238de77c341.jpg

1930134696_CollageMaker_20180526_1350427022.jpg.b9987827313953de7a4ad7f65f90f6f6.jpg

Still need to do the base, but I like it, will take a while to paint them all though.

Also, more game-wise related, with the new way command abilities are going to work are you guys considering the bloodwrack shrine as general for the blood sisters line while keeping the slaughter's queen command ability, or are you going to keep the queen as general to give her the command trait?

46 minutes ago, The Traitor said:

Your army looks amazing @DantePQ, it was one of the factors that made me decide in favour of purplish tones instead of green, as well as going for NMM instead of true metallics, and I must say I'm quite pleased with the result so far:

1879379454_CollageMaker_20180526_1349318262.jpg.0d9a2ff2f443d058897a2238de77c341.jpg

1930134696_CollageMaker_20180526_1350427022.jpg.b9987827313953de7a4ad7f65f90f6f6.jpg

Still need to do the base, but I like it, will take a while to paint them all though.

Also, more game-wise related, with the new way command abilities are going to work are you guys considering the bloodwrack shrine as general for the blood sisters line while keeping the slaughter's queen command ability, or are you going to keep the queen as general to give her the command trait?

Slaanesh Daughters of Khaine? Heresy!?

Looks great! I especially like the makeup and the little hooves. And the contrast of colors look fantastic.

I was planning on doing exactly that: Bloodwrack Medusa or Shrine as general for the Blood Sisters, and then have my Slaughter Queen in the thick of it and using that sweet command ability. Not to mention her own prayer that let's her pile in and attack twice.

I was going back and forth between  Bloodwrack Shrine or Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood as general - but with the new edition, I thought, why not have both? Bloodwrack Shrine as general, with SQoCB for her command ability. I reckon two of them near each other in a Hagg Nar army will be hard to deal with.

My current list (mostly due to the models I ended up buying)

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine
- Temple: Hagg Nar

Leaders
Bloodwrack Shrine (220)
- General
- Trait: Devoted Desciples 
- Artefact: Shadow Stone 
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330)
- Prayer: Crimson Rejuvenation
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer: Catechism of Murder
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer: Sacrament of Blood

Battleline
5 x Blood Sisters (140)
10 x Witch Aelves (100)
- Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers
10 x Witch Aelves (100)
- Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers

Units
5 x Blood Stalkers (160)
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)
10 x Doomfire Warlocks (320)

Behemoths

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 124

Future Plans:
* Replace the Blood Stalkers with five more Blood Sisters.
* Convert the Heartrenders into Lifetakers
* Drop the second avatar (180pts) for a second unit of Lifetakers (80pts) + Cauldron Guard Battalion (100pts).

1 hour ago, Rollcage said:

So the new Umbral Spellportal + morathi like in the new picture. 

She casts it 1" in front of her, then you gain 18" on spells that she already doubles. 

So that's a spell range of 55".

It's not very heroic, but certainly an effective way of keeping little Morathi out of harm's way as well as making sure her spellcasting get utilized to the fullest. I think the decision on when to transform Morathi just got much, much harder. Depends if you need her spellcasting or her as a beatstick.

@Black_Fortress_Immortal love your scheme, screams "shadow realm" to me much more! 

On other news I had a 1500 points today against Nurgle and completely shattered my opponent. My opponent was trying out a list consisting of a Lord of Affliction, 3 units of pussigoyle blightlords and 2 units of plague drones and he got turn 1, so I got charged before I could get my buffs up. However Hagg Nar SoS wallpaper took the punch surprisingly well, even though I forgot blood shield (still very new to this army, haven't been able to play due to exams, which I've just finished so should get many more games now).

That said I think I'm going to take bucklers on witches and knives on SoS instead of the other way around, so that I can pile in 6" with the SoS when I get charged and still hit over the WE. Still getting amazed about how good this army is, it hits sooo hard and can still take a punch combining bucklers, blood shield, hagg nar and blessing of Khaine.

Hey all, long time lurker in this thread! So a few weeks ago I brought the DoK to a small 1K tournament at the FLGS. They did amazing! Managed two Major wins and a Major loss which got me the second place spot. The wins were against KO and Maggotkin (Blight Lords heavy) and loss was to Sylvaneth. List was as follows

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine
- Temple: Hagg Nar

Leaders
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer: Catechism of Murder
Bloodwrack Shrine (220)
- General
- Trait: Devoted Desciples 
- Artefact: Thousand and One Dark Blessings 
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor

Battleline
30 x Witch Aelves (270)
- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives
10 x Blood Sisters (280)

Units

Total: 990 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 78

Couple of observations.

Full units of Witch Aelves are crazy good for board control. Their ability to run and charge was crucial in all of the games I played. They often took heavy casualties but were always a pain for my opponents to deal with, especially when they were fully buffed.

Blood Sisters are wonderful but I need to do a better job of giving them buffs as well. Often times I justified putting all the buffs onto the witch aelves just because the Blood Sisters have the better overall stat line. While this is true to an extent, they would be even better with even minimal buffing.

Heartrenders won me both of my wins. The versatility of these ladies cannot be overstated. Against the KO in Starstrike they let me cap all three objectives immediately and put my opponent in a deep hole he couldn't quite dig out of. Against the Maggotkin they were able to use their 6" move to just creep within range of my opponents backline objective, letting me capture all four objectives for 9 points. In fact, the only game I didn't win was because my opponent smartly zoned them out and gave them zero good targets. We were playing Three Places of Power from the original GHB, I should have held them up longer and waited for hims to present a better target, but I jumped the gun in retrospect.

Hag Queen. So useful. So squishy. 

Bloodwrack Shrine, Didn't do much to be honest. Would have preferred the Cauldron of Blood but didn't want to sacrifice a unit of Heartrenders.

Hagg Nar Temple. Really good at the beginning of each match but found it didn't do much as games went on and had to start committing forces to certain objectives. That 7" bubble only extends so far. A Cauldron with this Temple would be better, as you get the +1 save as well. Not sure, but Khailebron might be the better one overall, as it's just a native -1 to hit in shooting for all the units. But I also always forgot about the Daughters of the First Temple bonus, so I will need to play some more games before I give up on Hagg Nar.

Finally, moving 30 Witch Aelves in a timely fashion is hard! I was thinking of getting some kind of movement trays to help mitigate this. Anyone else have some solutions for this?

8 hours ago, Cinncinnatus said:

Hagg Nar Temple. Really good at the beginning of each match but found it didn't do much as games went on and had to start committing forces to certain objectives. That 7" bubble only extends so far. A Cauldron with this Temple would be better, as you get the +1 save as well. Not sure, but Khailebron might be the better one overall, as it's just a native -1 to hit in shooting for all the units. But I also always forgot about the Daughters of the First Temple bonus, so I will need to play some more games before I give up on Hagg Nar.

Finally, moving 30 Witch Aelves in a timely fashion is hard! I was thinking of getting some kind of movement trays to help mitigate this. Anyone else have some solutions for this?

Having played a good few games with Hag nar now I believe that the daughters of the first temple ability is what really makes the temple shine.  It has been as potent, if not more, as a well place 5++ and really helps mitigate armies that bring a lot of negative hit modifiers.  Combining it with catechism of murder is a delight.

For speedy we movement then movement trays are the way to go, I would recommendthe cloud shaped style that holds 5 models per base.

So I've played highly comeptitive team tournament with my DoK along with Changehost and Legion of the Night. We finished 6th, my DoK had great showing winning 4 out of 5 games. I brought my HaggNar Sisters list (Bloodwrack Shrine with Amulet of Fire, Morathi with Mindrazor, Cauldron Hag with Blessing of Khaine, Hag with Catechism, 30 Witches, 10 Witches, 20 Blood Sisters, 5 Heartrenders)

1st game vs SCE was pretty easy, Duality of Death so I had less drops Morathi took one objective, Medusa with Steed of Shadows took second and it was all over in turn 1, nonetheless I scored like 1500 kill points 

2nd game vs 30 Tzaangors Changehost, Starstrike. I got major win with 1500 kill points,Changehost went first he took Cauldron Hag down to 6 wounds and some witches, inflicted 3 wounds on Morathi. Then as 6 W Morathi would be quite bad in this match up anyway I decided not to change her (and she didn't change randomly) and blasted Black Horror at Vortex Herald, I took him down (and even if I didn't I had Arcane Bolt + possible Heartrenders to bring him down), then I moved BloodSisters with Medusa forward. Changehost didn't have much spellcasters in range in range anyway. I got 2nd turn, objective fell near Blood Sisters, I transformed Morathi and advanced. Changehost couldn't do much in his hero phase as only target in range was Medusa with 4++ and 5++, he countercharged Sisters of Tzaangors. Then over the course of the battle I took down Tzaangors, secured objective in my territory and secured objective in enemy territory with Heartrenders (as it fell in the worst possible place for my opponent but it didn't matter as my opponent wasn't able to capture 1st objective) I took some loses but it was another major win

3rd game vs Fyreslayers (Big Lizard, 90 Vulkites, KO Baloon) Scorched Earth  My opponent started and blasted Medusa with shooting(so I lost 5++) and charged my units, it was very unlucky game for me , as Heartrenders  burned objective for 1 VP and my opponent Hero on Lizard survived combat with witches with 1 wound and then I rolled 6 for BT and he burned this objective for 3VP, in the end I could close the game anyway but firstly I didn't win 4th turn, Morathi wasn't able to kill off 5 KO Baloons and one Fyreslayers 5W hero in turn 4 and then lost roll for 5th turn as well so wasn't able to score points I needed. But finally I took down whole Fyreslayers army   as only Big Lizard survived with 1W left. Blood Sisters, Avatar,Morathi and Witches killed 90 Vulkites :D 

4th game vs Death and Arkhan, Battle for the Pass, unitl turn 3 game was close and I was losing on objectives but my opponent run out of bodies later on and finally I scored all objectives in turn 5 with only Necromacer left on the table for Death 

5th game vs Tzaangor Coven-  pretty intense game with some controversy later on as my opponent claimed that Gaunt can dispel Vortex anytime (and he couldn't as dispel is at the start of the hero phase and then claimed that Gaunt familiars are models so they can score objectives). We played Starstrike, Avatar of Khaine at some time just decimated Tzzangors inflicting 18 wounds on them (hello Catechism of Murder) 

I loved how my army played and I think there is little I can change, I missed more units to score/guard objectives as it could be a problem in Scorched Earth especially. Also Morathi isn't always worth her points and there could be some tweaks done in new edition, but at the same time with nerfs to Arcane Bolt and extra -1 to shooting and CA abilites like re-roll fo chargd activating nearby heroes she will be much better (as she is in monster form our most mobile hero). But there is little I would like to change at this point anyway. 

HaggNarr was amazing, re-rolls to hit are much needed (especially on Morathi ) especially with Catechism of Murder and 5++ gives you multiple ways to build tank units - Blood Sisters with mystic shield, nearby Avatat with 5++ and Blessing of Khaine are nightmare for opponent sure you won't be able to pull it off always but even without mystic shield/blessing of khaine it's amazing, and it works great against any shooting heavy/magic heavy armies. Playtesting my army before tournament I won all games against Changehost and KO. Also Steed of Shadows is quite good on Medusa. 

I will be playing another tourney in two weeks this time standard single tournament and I will bring the same list. 

Interesting idea to give the Bloodwrack Shrine Steed of Shadows, deals with the slow movement speed, lets it keep up with witch aelves that I've been holding back a lot on due to how much faster they are than other parts of the army. I'm now thinking of doing it myself - though then the Blood Cauldron will struggle to keep up.

19 hours ago, Cinncinnatus said:

I made little trays that hold 5 models per for my 30 demon Plaguebearer unit which actually moves quite a lot. It helps with moves but also set up which can be a giant help. You can buy them from Element Games as well as other places. Just set them back up in the trays between games. 

6 hours ago, GammaMage said:

Interesting idea to give the Bloodwrack Shrine Steed of Shadows, deals with the slow movement speed, lets it keep up with witch aelves that I've been holding back a lot on due to how much faster they are than other parts of the army. I'm now thinking of doing it myself - though then the Blood Cauldron will struggle to keep up.

I've been playing around with using Khelibron as the Temple and firing the Bloodwrack Shrine around that way. So far its been pretty sweet. Often its about setting up charges for the next turn or so, but that is a fun tactical game. Occasionally you get a sweet long charge off, you just can't count on it. 

2 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

I've been playing around with using Khelibron as the Temple and firing the Bloodwrack Shrine around that way. So far its been pretty sweet. Often its about setting up charges for the next turn or so, but that is a fun tactical game. Occasionally you get a sweet long charge off, you just can't count on it. 

While Hagg Nar is fantastic, I like the utility from Khailebron in objective games.  Thus far it has won or tied me a couple of games by being able to teleport where and when I need to each turn.

Hello,

I'm new to AOS, played Druchii more then 10 years ago and stopped due to life commitments. So I have recently restarted DoK and currently assembling and painting my 1k points army

• Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood
  • 2 Hag Queen
  • 30 Witch Aelves
  • 10 Sisters of Slaughter
  • 5 Doomfire Warlocks

Since DoK is a rather close combat oriented army, I have a couple of questions related to them.

1. Would it be possible to equip, in 1 unit of 30 Witch Aelves, 15 with Dual Daggers and 15 with a single Dagger and Bucklers? The benefit of doing this that assuming say 20 survives to enter close combat, the front 10 gets to enjoy +1 attack and if wounds is inflicted by the opponent, I will assign it to the Bucklers equipped models behind to enjoy the 5+ save and mortal wound on 6.
  2. Since the rank system is gone with the old world.... 25mm is just a wee bit short of 1", I assume the 2nd "rank" of Witch Aelves can also attack in close combat since their daggers attack range is just 1" and puts them within 0.98" of them opponent. Also since my Sisters of Slaughter whips are 3", I assume they can attack from the 3rd "rank".

4 hours ago, InSaint said:

Hello,

I'm new to AOS, played Druchii more then 10 years ago and stopped due to life commitments. So I have recently restarted DoK and currently assembling and painting my 1k points army

• 2 Hag Queen
  • 30 Witch Aelves
  • 5 Doomfire Warlocks

Since DoK is a rather close combat oriented army, I have a couple of questions related to them.

1. Would it be possible to equip, in 1 unit of 30 Witch Aelves, 15 with Dual Daggers and 15 with a single Dagger and Bucklers? The benefit of doing this that assuming say 20 survives to enter close combat, the front 10 gets to enjoy +1 attack and if wounds is inflicted by the opponent, I will assign it to the Bucklers equipped models behind to enjoy the 5+ save and mortal wound on 6.
  2. Since the rank system is gone with the old world.... 25mm is just a wee bit short of 1", I assume the 2nd "rank" of Witch Aelves can also attack in close combat since their daggers attack range is just 1" and puts them within 0.98" of them opponent. Also since my Sisters of Slaughter whips are 3", I assume they can attack from the 3rd "rank".

Hello and welcome back to the fold :)

In answer to your questions;

1) The units cannot mix and match weapon options, the unit is armed with one choice or another as a whole.  This is covered in the first paragraph of blurb on their warscroll and while all DoK units follow the same pattern some other armies contain units that can vary their loadout throughout a squad :)

2) this is 100% correct.

10 hours ago, InSaint said:

Hello,

• 2 Hag Queen
  • 30 Witch Aelves
  • 5 Doomfire Warlocks

1. No

2. Yes

I'm building 1 squad of 30 witches with bucklers, since I've found throwing them into a meatgrinder unit to try and take them out would help, but also, with reflecting mortal wounds on a 6 roll, and Martyr's Sacrifice on a 5+ upon death.  I wouldn't mind having them throw 80 attacks into my witches with bucklers, and I'll gladly punish them for doing so.  Buffing them up with Mindrazor, Catechism, Martyr's Sacrifice and Witchbrew will make them a priority target, since the idea will be to hopefully engage a bunch of units and do as much damage as possible, while still (attempting to) survive the attack.  The new Mystic Shield will be a welcome buff, since rerolling 1's to save will potentially trigger more natural 6's to save.  This will let them pile in and attack during your next hero phase if they're still up, and if not... well I bet a bunch of things have died, haha.  I've had them kill ~650pts worth of units in 1 combat phase, and half of that was just from the buckler and prayers.

Archived