Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Maddok said:

When you guys are painting your cauldrons, what sub assemblies do you keep them in to make it easier? Thinking I'll keep the wheels off, all the characters off, and the steps off 

Magnetize what you can.  It makes everything easier.  And if you're like me you can use the same model for both shrines.

That said...

Here is the crazy idea I had for a Bloodwrack Shrine:

Medusa Shrine.jpg

And a Cauldron of Blood:

Cauldron of Blood.jpg

And my Medusa and Slaughter Queen on their separate bases.  Both are fully magnetized so I can use them either way.  Still WIP as I need to add the Cauldron guards/Shrine Caretakers and the Avatar as well.

Medusa and Slaughter Queen.jpg

Let me tell you, sometimes we suffer for our hobby.  Someone wasn't being quite careful enough with Mr. Xacto and stabbed themself in the finger. 

So my Cauldron of Blood has been blessed with actual blood.  Hopefully that will aid me in future battles. ?

Now with REAL blood.jpg

Had a fun time with the DoK this weekend at LGT. Managed to be top of the pile after day 1, but ended up losing both games on day 2, so ended up 13th of 60 odd players. Great fun to play with and nice to have an army that is so smashy. 

The two dilemmas I had post tourney was Morathi and Hag Narr/Khailebron. Particularly with the new Look Out Sir rules and general way shooting has been hit, -1 seems less important. Whilst the teleport was great, two games I lost due to lack of survivability. Morathi was great in duality, and she is a tough roadblock, but the problem I found was that it was far too easy to put 3 wounds on her for the opponent - they could do it with chaff or shooting, or even a bit of magic. Didn't take a lot.

Considering the following as a result, with Hag Nar (which would involve admitting I'm wrong, haha!)

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine

Leaders
Bloodwrack Shrine (220)
- General
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330)
Hag Queen (60)
Hag Queen (60)

Battleline
20 x Blood Sisters (480)
30 x Witch Aelves (270)
- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives
10 x Witch Aelves (100)
- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives

Units
5 x Doomfire Warlocks (160)
- Lore of Shadows: None
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)
5 x Doomfire Warlocks (160)
- Lore of Shadows: None

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 146

@Lhw

Thanks for your input. 

I've played some games with Khailebron and you got to be clinical with set up to fully take advantage of this bonus and with new rules positioning will be even more important, that's why HaggNar is amazing you can tarpit your opponent with huge number of units , I once got my 20 Blood Sisters in fight against 20 Blightknights and they were close to impossible to kill with mystic shield and haggnarr ability. 

I do like Morathi a lot , sure she is fragile (but it isn't that hard to hide her) and you got to transoform her, but with limited shooting and changes to Balewind (I think they are surely coming) with her range she will be harder to snipe out then now, then she is mobile in big form so new rules for command abilities will benefit her a lot, a even though her ability will see limited use it's a nice bonus. With new edition I'd love to squezze battalion here or there but with Blood Sisters that would be need Blood Stalkers to be Batteline with Meuds and 120-140 (which is kind of possible with all nerfs to shooting).  

@Lhw I'm running an almost identical list except I have a unit of 10 Heartrenders in place of one of the units of warlocks. Its been quite successful in either Hag Nar or Khailebron. I've played some tough competitive builds but not taken it outside my local group. I find Hag Nar a bit restrictive but I have never liked defensive stuff anyway - for any army. 

My most successful but hardest to play list is still the Draichi Ganeth/ Slaughter Troupe build. Starting to experiment with this using MSU witch elf units and Bloodsisters. Its more drops but Draichi Bloodsisters are really dangerous. Most people aren't even looking at Draichi because of the thought of painting up 90 - 120 witches but the board control + combat punch are impressive.

I wouldn't be surprised if Witch Elves go up in points in GH2018. Though it hurts to say it, Hag Queens really need to go up in points too. They are ridiculously good for 60 points!

It would be great to see Blood Stalkers drop  as they are some of my favourite models in the range - Warlocks are a lot more useful for the points though.

The AoS 2 announcement has pretty much killed off any chance of a game for me anyway. We're all just playing 40K until 2nd edition drops. 

@Lhw yeah I was playing hagg nar at London gt and warhammerfest - they are very durable - basically you can take being hit very hard and then punch back later which is my preferred Style of play.  It’s a rocky balboa list so my temple is Rachi Baal’boa. 

Your new list is closer to mine and looks fun but is i think maybe too low body count to fully capitalise on the durability.  Having said that you do have the blood sisters Death Star which could be fun. Worth a try.

havent bought morathi yet - may try her out during the aos 2 transition lull. 

12 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

@Lhw Though it hurts to say it, Hag Queens really need to go up in points too. They are ridiculously good for 60 points!

This has been a hit topic amoungst my gaming group recently.

Personally I think Hags are fine at 60 pts. They seem really cheap (And they are) but when viewed against the whole tomb I think they balance very well.  They offer a lot, but are easily sniped (due to the 3" range of their abilities and low would count)

They are very strong but not more so than a gaunt summoner, relictor or GUO. 

I feel like the BS immunity is meant to be a DoK strength and hags are priced as such, now I'll not be surprised if they increase but by the same token I won't be surprised if they remain at 60 especially given that the 3" range of hags brew is hard to maintain throughout a game.

4 hours ago, Azurious said:

This has been a hit topic amoungst my gaming group recently.

Personally I think Hags are fine at 60 pts. They seem really cheap (And they are) but when viewed against the whole tomb I think they balance very well.  They offer a lot, but are easily sniped (due to the 3" range of their abilities and low would count)

They are very strong but not more so than a gaunt summoner, relictor or GUO. 

I feel like the BS immunity is meant to be a DoK strength and hags are priced as such, now I'll not be surprised if they increase but by the same token I won't be surprised if they remain at 60 especially given that the 3" range of hags brew is hard to maintain throughout a game.

Your thoughts mirror mine. Hags are good at what they do, but are not so durable, hence the cheap pricetag. I find it thematically appropriate for the Daughters of Khaine to not run away. In my next couple of battles I am going to try to get as much battleshock immunity as I can, as that can be devastating if you get hit hard enough.

So fought against khorne with my friend playing phoenix guard in a 2v2 on sunday.

10 snaked behind a pheonix guard wall is great. 10 are better than 5 I'm finding as they can lose some casualties and be okay and layering on witchbrew and other buffs is really strong! Unfortunately my shadow stone bloodwrack Shrine never got mindrazor off :(

on the bright side Morathi was a lot of fun in her inaugural game. She was fun at blasting as a long range mage and then she transformed to keep some khorne boys away from an objective and managed to cut them down.

Though we are definitely glass cannons! And my avatar of khaine ended up being a glorified roadblock against mazarral the butcher. Did 3 wounds to maz though so not the worst!

@DJMoose and @Azurious Yeah they are fine at 60 points if you are a DoK player! :) I agree they need to be cheap but 2 prayers + giving automatic battleshock  immunity & re-roll wounds is worth more than 60 points. + she is a hero so confers +1 attack on units of Witch Elves. She is one of the best support characters in the game.

I'm not saying I want her to go up in points - I just think that she will - unless similar support characters all come down in points...

hope for the best, plan for the worst :) 

4 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

@DJMoose and @Azurious Yeah they are fine at 60 points if you are a DoK player! :) I agree they need to be cheap but 2 prayers + giving automatic battleshock  immunity & re-roll wounds is worth more than 60 points. + she is a hero so confers +1 attack on units of Witch Elves. She is one of the best support characters in the game.

I'm not saying I want her to go up in points - I just think that she will - unless similar support characters all come down in points...

2 Prayers? I thought she can only use 1 prayer a turn?

6 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

2 Prayers? I thought she can only use 1 prayer a turn?

1 Prayer from her warscroll and 1 Prayer from the list of prayers in the battletome.  Although if you're like me and roll ones every time you attempt a prayer, I limit it to once per turn. ?

8 minutes ago, DJMoose said:

1 Prayer from her warscroll and 1 Prayer from the list of prayers in the battletome.  Although if you're like me and roll ones every time you attempt a prayer, I limit it to once per turn. ?

Ahh I didn't think the battletome prayer could be cast in conjunction to her regular one. That actually makes it way better for avatars of khaine then... presuming their prayer counts as the use of the 1 from her warscroll.  I knew khorne slaughtepriests got 2 casts a turn but never knew we did. Totally gonna have to read through my battletome better tonight!

Also one thing I've wondered. How do people use certain units? I'm not sure honestly how I'd use heartrenders due to the only 5 shots an 1 damage well besides appearing in backlines just to cause my opponent to fumble and suddenly react to their presence. Blood sisters I presume can handle most types of units with mindrazor and other buffs as 2 damage can put the hurt on hordes and rend -2 can hurt armoured things well. Avatar's I'm unsure what to send them against, great damage potential but only 4 attacks has made them underperform a bit for me with my dice rolling XD (though like blood sisters they're probably way better when buffed up with prayers and witchbrews)

I found my unit of 10 witch elves for battleline tax still actually put the hurt on well with the sheer amount of attacks they get. Sisters of slaughter really didn't do as well but the better save likely makes them not bad for holding a backfield objective for cheap. I'm still trying to learn which prayers (besides catechism of murder) are good to take, though keep forgetting prayers aren't magic and I totally -could- have 3 hags with catechism running around for different units.

2 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Ahh I didn't think the battletome prayer could be cast in conjunction to her regular one. That actually makes it way better for avatars of khaine then... presuming their prayer counts as the use of the 1 from her warscroll.  I knew khorne slaughtepriests got 2 casts a turn but never knew we did. Totally gonna have to read through my battletome better tonight!

Also one thing I've wondered. How do people use certain units? I'm not sure honestly how I'd use heartrenders due to the only 5 shots an 1 damage well besides appearing in backlines just to cause my opponent to fumble and suddenly react to their presence. Blood sisters I presume can handle most types of units with mindrazor and other buffs as 2 damage can put the hurt on hordes and rend -2 can hurt armoured things well. Avatar's I'm unsure what to send them against, great damage potential but only 4 attacks has made them underperform a bit for me with my dice rolling XD (though like blood sisters they're probably way better when buffed up with prayers and witchbrews)

I found my unit of 10 witch elves for battleline tax still actually put the hurt on well with the sheer amount of attacks they get. Sisters of slaughter really didn't do as well but the better save likely makes them not bad for holding a backfield objective for cheap. I'm still trying to learn which prayers (besides catechism of murder) are good to take, though keep forgetting prayers aren't magic and I totally -could- have 3 hags with catechism running around for different units.

No you can't. Battletome prayers are specifically limited to 1 per turn.

3 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I wouldnt be suprised either way but I do think that folks get to focused on individual points costs as opposed to looking at how an army balances over all.  Our casters for example are on the expensive side at 140.   My reasoning for thinking hags may stay at 60 is due to a 2k list feeling pretty balanced and not ridiculously overpowered (in comparison to other factions they hold their own well but don't outstrip them).  

I'm pretty sure it doesn't specify that one of the two prayers they use in a turn has to be the battletome prayer. It just says that if they have an extra prayer, they can pray twice. (Though they can't pray twice for the battletome prayer.)

1 hour ago, GammaMage said:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't specify that one of the two prayers they use in a turn has to be the battletome prayer. It just says that if they have an extra prayer, they can pray twice. (Though they can't pray twice for the battletome prayer.)

Ahh I completely missed the pray twice bit when I first read it. Is it in the prayer list section or the warscrolls?

Relatively new AoS player, definitely new DoK player, here. I'm looking to make mixed witch and snake lady 2000 point list, but not too sure how to go about it.

I'm considering a Slaughter Queen on Cauldron for the general and hag queen on foot. Also, Hagg Nar for the temple.

Battleline is what I'm considering the most. I was thinking a 10 woman squad of sisters of slaughter for backline objectives. Other slots are going to be for witch aelves, but I'm not sure what size.

Other than this, I was thinking a 5 man unit of doomfire warlocks with mindrazor and likely 2 units of blood sisters with 10 models each. I also want blood stalkers, but I'm not sure how good they are. 

Any tips?

I haven't played Sisters of Slaughter, but I find that Witch Aelves in squads of 10 are good with shields, if you're playing them in a squad 20 or more, the double daggers are way better.

Doomfire Warlocks are better in groups of 10 IMO, as losing one from a 5 man squad drops their spell to D3 damage. But I guess now that's still better than Arcane Bolt.

At the moment I'd rather play more Blood Sisters or Doomfires over Blood Stalkers. The stalkers look good, but I found them rather lacklustre in my games. They're good for sitting on a back ovbjective and still hitting stuff at range, but if you're wanting to use Sisters for that, then I don't think they're worth taking.

Hey guys, I was wondering if people could help me choose between the two following 1000pt lists before I make the relevant purchases:

List 1 - 

- Temple: Hagg Nar

LEADERS

Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Devoted Desciples
- Artefact : Crystal Heart
- Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor

Hag Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (300)

Hag Queen (60)

UNITS

20 x Witch Aelves (200)
-Pairs of Sacrificial Knives

10 x Blood Sisters (280)

980/1000

List 2-

LEADERS

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330)
- General
- Artefact : Iron Circlet
- Prayer : Blessing of Khaine

Hag Queen (60)

Bloodwrack Medusa (140)

UNITS

30 x Witch Aelves (270)

10 x Sisters Of Slaughter (120)
-Barbed Whips and Blade Bucklers

5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)

1000/1000

Thanks guys!

8 hours ago, ClockworkGeo91 said:

Hey guys, I was wondering if people could help me choose between the two following 1000pt lists before I make the relevant purchases:

List 1 - 

LEADERS

Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
- General
- Artefact : Crystal Heart
- Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor

Hag Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (300)

Hag Queen (60)

UNITS

20 x Witch Aelves (200)

10 x Blood Sisters (280)

980/1000

List 2-

LEADERS

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330)
- General
- Artefact : Iron Circlet
- Prayer : Blessing of Khaine

Hag Queen (60)

Bloodwrack Medusa (140)

UNITS

30 x Witch Aelves (270)

10 x Sisters Of Slaughter (120)
-Barbed Whips and Blade Bucklers

5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)