Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

5 minutes ago, Yawn said:

Their warscolls are essentially the same except for dance of death vs frenzied fervour, with the latter being a much stronger ability, as well as sisters getting 2" on their whip attacks... I'd have liked to have seen them differentiated a bit more. On the plus side the hornblower & standard bearer abilities are very nice especially run & charge. 

The warscrolls are up on the GW website right now so they are definitely not fake.

what where should new warscrolls be?!?

Guess the new stat lines are being released next week or this weekend.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my experience a 6" pile-in can actually be deceptively valuable, letting you more easily swoop  round onto objective, sneak round to stab at characters, snarl up stuff that wants to be moving next turn, etc.  Plus it means you can retreat into 6" of an enemy unit and still get to pile in, even if you didn't charge.

1 minute ago, Lucentia said:

In my experience a 6" pile-in can actually be deceptively valuable, letting you more easily swoop  round onto objective, sneak round to stab at characters, snarl up stuff that wants to be moving next turn, etc.  Plus it means you can retreat into 6" of an enemy unit and still get to pile in, even if you didn't charge.

Yeah, you definitely have a point that they are a more tactically versatile unit.  I just question whether we will have room for it in our lists.  This will depend, of course, on point values.  Considering their similarities, I would think Witches and SoS would both be 100.

Just now, DantePQ said:

Doomfire Warlocks are nocce right now with extra shooting, rend melee attacks, powerful spell and ability to unbid. Nice option to have in Battletome. 

With the ability to access a lore spell, i think these guys will be a go-to utility unit.  That 14" move is almost always a surprise to opponents and adding x-bows means they can contribute to sniping those squishy back line characters in conjunction with your deepstrike Khinerai and bow Melusai.  From the looks of it, i think DoK will have some of the best options for attacking the opponent's back line in the game.

SPELLS & PRAYERS
Mindrazor
- the ability to give your hordes -1 rend is incredible. The +1 damage is unbelievable when you can pull it off.

To clarify characteristic is the number on the scroll, but can be modified. It is NOT modified by things like +1 bravery for every 10 models (this is for BS only). It IS modified by modern spells and abilities - Death and Nurgle can lower your Bravery Characteristic. When playing in the Realm of Death (Malign Portents) you get the PALL OF DOOM spell which lowers bravery characteristic by 2.  

With Death, Daemons, Seraphon, Nurgle - you simply cannot rely on the extra damage. But if you are atacking something with bravery 6, it's amazing.

You also have to consider that this can go on Morathi. 
AoSKhaine-Feb20-MorathiStats7vg.jpg
Against anything with lower than 9 bravery, her Hertrender is -3 rend 4 damage, her serpents are now rending 2 damage each, and her tail is -3 rend X+1 damage.

The main issue with the spell is a casting value of 7, which means unmodified, the spell is only going to work for you about 50/50.

The bravery on the new melusai units might be high too, even at 8 this spell makes the Blood Sisters pretty interesting.

The Withering - the old withering was -2 bravery which would have paired beautifully with Mindrazor. Unfortunately this may be the replacement for Witchbrew, and at 7 to cast its very unreliable, but the 18" range does give you a lot of leeway to pick a unit about to get pounded with multiple units and really boost all of your units at once.

Pit of Shades - I would kill for a spell like this in death. 18" damage spells are amazing. There are so many units with low move. This spell can easily kill something like a Lord-Relictor outright. The 7 is still a bit high though, and even if it goes off you could roll like a 5 or something and it does nothing. Statistically this spell is going to really impress you about 20% of your attempts, but swingy damage like this is always a ton of fun when you get a high roll and blow something out.  

Martyr's Sacrifice- this is pretty funny. if your hordes are stuck against heavy armor, simply cast this and have them do a bunch of damage on the way out.

Note that there is no die roll listed for prayers? They are automatic?

Blessing of Khaine - Assuming the shrine improves Fanatical Faith to 5+, this is the double 5+ that everyone is hoping for. If the Shrine no longer does this, then this is pretty sad.

New Scrolls
They are all still here: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Daughters-of-Khaine-Blood-Coven
No shrine update yet.

Doomfire are the same, which is really good. They get a lame bow attack to go with their other attacks. 10 of them are +1 to cast, which might make them your most reliable casters, but there will probably be a ton of spells so you will want multiple units. Since you cant just buy 5 Medusae (and they will probably die too easily anyway)  this will be the likely go-to for wizards. At 14" move, even 12" spells are going to be no problem for them.

The Bloodwrack Shrine has impact hits, incredibly improved Aura, two good spear attacks instead of one and is a nice wizard. Expect a big point increase on this one. 

SoS & WE are essentially the same now, so I expect a point decrease. If SoS are more points, WE will massively outshine SoS, with their new 6+ save and 4 attacks. The wording on the pile in for SoS is a big deal, they can simply slide into combat, and with their 2" range that means they can go over the backs of WE without issue and do a bunch more attacks. SoS pile in is just absolutley huge, it allows for all kinds of mobility you wouldn't think of.

The shields are massively nerfed but taken by either unit. The importance of shields depends on how a shrine buffs saves. If it still only buffs WE, then SoS would like this extra save if they can get it, and with Mystic Shield they are a decent 4+ causing mortals on 5+. Overall though, the shields are sadly very nerfed, but maybe its okay if it comes with a big discount for SoS, which look to be a great second horde unit behind the WE if at the same cost (especially if you are bored of painting long hair..)

WE got a massive nerf in the loss of re-rolls. Before they were doing 90 attacks.  With re-rolls that meant an average of 83 of them were hitting. Now with 4 attacks each and no re-rolls,  that is 80 hit rolls. So it about evens out. After turn 3 they re-roll 1s, which should move them up to 93 hits. 

Then we have to wonder about wound rolls. Before they should always have witchbrew, which means 2/3 should land. Now we have to rely on The Withering for this. With The Withering + turn 4 re-rolls, that means your 93 hits should turn into 72 wounds. If it might be possible fore both Witchbrew and The Withering, I mean that's like all 93 getting through basically. Then have Mortahi/Shrine allow them to pile in twice....and now possibly rending... and could be 2 damage each...

In comparison, I regularly play 40 ghoul units, even with the re-rolls of 1 I average about 16-23 wounds per combat.

With all this insanity I worry that their save might be capped at 6+/6+++/6++++ and our main goal is to keep our army intact long enough to get into combat, at which point the enemy will simply die - even if only half our models get to them.

1 hour ago, Richelieu said:

Run and charge is a big boost.  With rerolling 1s on run your average move becomes 9.75"

If you haven't noticed a theme, I like math-hammer. :D

The problem with mathhammer is you need to have more hammer and less math in your calculations. Its impossible to roll a 3.75 on a dice - the average move for them is simply 10, but you also have to consider the fact that they are always re-rolling 1s to run... I don't want to do the math but their average is better than 10" now. 

9 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

Blessing of Khaine - Assuming the shrine improves Fanatical Faith to 5+, this is the double 5+ that everyone is hoping for. If the Shrine no longer does this, then this is pretty sad.

Even if it is just on 6s it is still decent.  16.66% success improves to 30.55% (or a 13.88% improvement).

If we have the ability to improve fanatical faith to 5+ then this turns a 33.33% probability of success into a 55.55% (22.22% improvement).

14 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

Pit of Shades - I would kill for a spell like this in death. 18" damage spells are amazing. There are so many units with low move. This spell can easily kill something like a Lord-Relictor outright. The 7 is still a bit high though, and even if it goes off you could roll like a 5 or something and it does nothing. Statistically this spell is going to really impress you about 20% of your attempts, but swingy damage like this is always a ton of fun when you get a high roll and blow something out. 

Agree, and I think if we have the ability to improve casting through artifacts or other means that this could be very useful.  The majority of units in the game move 5" and a fair bit only move 4".

Archived