Starting Orruks

Theduke

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Theduke said:

Do you remember how the legs fit?

In short, they don't. 

I had to cut them down the middle to narrow the whole waist and width of the legs then I cut patches of fur out of the wolves where they would sit and the feet would grip onto the wolves, then I cut the feet off the riders legs and rotated them to fit snugly against the wolves bodies.  To tidy up a bit of fur was sculpted back onto the wolves around where the goblin was attached.  I thought the Goblins needed to be gripping the wolves as the wolves are very dynamic and fast looking, where as the old wolf rider poses are very static.  

I did other stuff like reshaping the fur on the wolves heads and I shortened their legs by 3mm to give them a more fantasy look.  I've got pictures of my Gobbo heros and a shaman on wolves on my CMON and I can take some better pictures of my basic wolf riders next week if you want (I'm on holiday at the moment).

If you do decide to do some it will be cool to see what you do with them.

Great stuff, they are coming along swimmingly!

I too am underway with my Orruk army; just mainly building and some base coasts at this point.

But these models are really great- large and dense and just fun to handle.  Tackling my 'Ardboyz first before I move onto the Brutes and the new huge boar riders.  Keep the update coming!

Have you done all this since you posted the first Orruk image?  If so then your speed and skills are insane.  They all look great. the extra bit of colour on the bases now in the form of the tuffts and skulls really balances the models out nicely, great work!

@cb_rex No I had all of the Troggoths done before the Brutes.  Im not much of a speed painter, I can usually finish a unit in a week or so.  I agree with what you said about the bases, if they are just plain they are just missing something.  The extra colored bits, skulls and the tufts really bring them together.

@The Ogre Stronghold Thanks for the compliment, the little red noses are fun!

The checkers are actually pretty easy...  All i do is paint the area white first.  Then get some tape and cut out a bunch of little squares and set your own pattern with them.  Then just paint black as carefully as you can in your pattern, remove the tape and just do some touch ups.  After that all you have to do is apply some washes to the pattern and if you want you can use a little piece of a sponge and put a little metallic paint on with that. 

Started on my Ardboys and picked up a box of boarboys.  Really looking forward to painting them up.  I keep looking at the Ardboys and there are just so many of them!  Ill probably just paint them 5 at a time and mix in some boarboys so I dont get burnt out.  

Archived