Khorne Allies

Paul Conti

So with GHB 2017 we are going to get to have allied forces comprise up to 20% of our army. We know that it's going to be limited by keywords, but we don't have it all available to us yet. So this is a little speculative.

What units would you want to take as allies in a Khorne force?

I know personally, I'd love to ally in some shooting to round out my Khorne force and make it a little more balanced. I'm not sure what we will actually get to ally with though, but I feel like most of our sources of good shooting probably won't be allowed as allies. Slaves and Tzeentch have strong shooting, but I don't think either are likely as allies. I think the Hellcannon is a possibility, although it's out of print and hard to find, especially at a reasonable price.

I get the feeling, that it's more likely that Khorne will probably get something like Everchosen, Brayherds, Warherds, Monsters of Chaos, Chaos Gargants, Thunderscorn.

I don't see any of the Chaos Gods crossing over, and if you want to include Slaves to Darkness you can do so by marking. I think this will mainly be, because there's both a place for allies, and a place for Grand Alliance armies that cover factions that aren't particularly close working together (Like Skaven and non-Skaven).

What's particularly interesting though. It seems Allies are done on keywords, not on faction. Yet, Monsters of Chaos as a 'faction' if you can call it that, don't have a shared keyword to ally in on. So I really wonder how they're going to deal with that, because having an ally option of CHAOS MONSTER basically gets around the gods hating each other. Similar issue exists for Daemons of Chaos (Although, I get the feeling they want to forget about Furies and Be'Lakor, the only non-markable stuff in there).

I don't see any of the Chaos Gods crossing over, and if you want to include Slaves to Darkness you can do so by marking. I think this will mainly be, because there's both a place for allies, and a place for Grand Alliance armies that cover factions that aren't particularly close working together (Like Skaven and non-Skaven).

I really hope they don't drop the ball and allow you to bring in Slaves to Darkness for the 4 Gods as an ally - not only does this allow you to then mark them to a different god, but it also lets Sayl and the Hellcannon via the back door.

I think you actually can mark Furies.

The most important thing for me is that broadening out the unit options without having to sacrifice the so-good-it's-impossible-to-justify-not-using-them allegiance abilities means more opportunity to put your own stamp on an army's theme. I imagine my Bloodbound to be a roving horde of nomads supported by all kinds of mortal creatures from across the Brimstone Peninsula. So I'd hope to be able to add Warhounds and Chaos Gargants at the very least. I've been looking for an excuse to buy and convert the gargant kit for a looooong time!

The way they've set up this allies system, Chaos Ogors and Chaos Troggoths seem much less likely, unfortunately.

On 8/4/2017 at 5:15 AM, Nico said:

I really hope they don't drop the ball and allow you to bring in Slaves to Darkness for the 4 Gods as an ally - not only does this allow you to then mark them to a different god, but it also lets Sayl and the Hellcannon via the back door.

I think you actually can mark Furies.

There's also a flavor fail in letting wizards into a Khorne force.

6 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

however that can be justified if they ally with the chaos dwarf daemonsmiths who bring artillery to bomb the nuts off sayl :)

That would be awesome! What are the chances of allying with Chaos dwarves?! :-D

8 hours ago, misthv said:

That would be awesome! What are the chances of allying with Chaos dwarves?! :-D

I don't think it will be in the GHB2017, but I'm hopeful of FW releasing an allies sheet for their model range... ok let me rephrase that... more hopeful of that than I am of them relasing a battletome chaos dwarfs! :D

Also, in one of the realmgate war books it's mentioned that Khull goes to the chaos dwarfs to get something or other... can't remember what though.

The other thing I would like to see ally with chaos is Fimir, as I still believe they're a chaos army not destruction.- but that's wish listing.

I don't know, but I have played my Khorne with my buddies Tzeench and Nurgle armies as Grand Alliance Chaos before. Mostly because we only had 1k armies, at the time, and we wanted to play against our other friends 2k Ironjaws and 2k Beastclaw Riders. Until I read the rules and see the differences I won't be speculating... Hope it's good though.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is leading people to believe that the keyword prereqs will be anything other than just Chaos allegiance?

Like Kaleb, I was hoping to bring some Chaos Dwarfs (who always seem to be hindered by Forgeworld's utter laziness and carelessness in the rules department...)

On 09/08/2017 at 1:46 AM, Roark said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is leading people to believe that the keyword prereqs will be anything other than just Chaos allegiance?

Like Kaleb, I was hoping to bring some Chaos Dwarfs (who always seem to be hindered by Forgeworld's utter laziness and carelessness in the rules department...)

I totally agree with you on all points.  I think looking beyond keywords, Fimir would work really well with our forces were they chaos instead of destruction- which I still think is utter laziness on FW's part - they've always been chaos right from 2nd ed. days.

Archived