New Stormcast Army Scheme

I haven't decided on a name for this Stormhost yet, but I'm pretty sure this will be the scheme I will be going for with my Stormcast once I wrap up my Nighthaunts. I wanted something quick but good looking so I can finally get all of those Stormcast I have purchased done and on the table. I took inspiration from Darren Latham and Paul Norton's Space Marines which involve doing metallics with no highlights. They use the other colors to draw the eye and highlight those as normal.

judi.jpg.c83adaa8c593a5257bd6b804c7a45288.jpg

judi2.jpg.3d6a2817e54a8dc176c4b8214dec59bc.jpg

I just sprayed mine Leadbelcher and used a 50/50 wash of regular and gloss Nuln Oil. I did highlight the gold once because it just didn't look right. I liked Darren's Silver Skulls so used the black shoulder pads from that. I'm also trying to tie these into my Kharadron which use similar colors. The handle on the knife is purple and will be used as the weapon haft color on all of the models as well as for the plumes and possibly the capes. This was also my first time using the Shattered Dominion bases to add a bit of variety to my desert basing.

I think this guy took about 2.5 hours, but I kept changing stuff too as I was deciding on the scheme. Should be much faster once I have it down and am batch painting units. May be a bit before my next update since I want to finish my Nighthaunts before getting distracted by anything else.

10 hours ago, Mengel Miniatures said:

I took inspiration from Darren Latham and Paul Norton's Space Marines which involve doing metallics with no highlights. They use the other colors to draw the eye and highlight those as normal.

I just sprayed mine Leadbelcher and used a 50/50 wash of regular and gloss Nuln Oil. 

I think this guy took about 2.5 hours, but I kept changing stuff too as I was deciding on the scheme. Should be much faster once I have it down and am batch painting units.

I really like the end result, the model looks great. It is actually surprising how good it looks without doing an highlights on the metal,  it is a very interesting approach. I will have to try the 50/50 mix of normal and gloss nuln oil (IMO the gloss on its own doesn't look right, shading should not be this bright).

Of course you are an award-winning and experienced painter, but still to get this result in 2.5 hours nonetheless very impressive. Almost depressing when  comparing to my Stormcasts, where I must have spend at least 5x more time on each model (and 5x is probably a conservative assumption). I especially love the sharp edge highlight on the back of the tabard... 

Thanks for sharing!

This looks great man. Really like it.

I have been putting off my Stormcasts for so long with still being undecided on the my colour scheme! I have been flipping to and from a silver armour similar to this or a dark grey (which i think i will go for) for ages now. Seeing how you did the KO was exactly what i was thinking as far as the silver look, and now seeing this as well is great for my thoughts.

I like the changes from your wip on twitter as well, certainly broke the scheme up.

Why did you decide to go with a mix of the nuln oils? i havnt considered the gloss ones yet at all, how do you find them and the mix is different to the normal?

22 minutes ago, ChippyRick said:

Why did you decide to go with a mix of the nuln oils? i havnt considered the gloss ones yet at all, how do you find them and the mix is different to the normal?

I too am intrigued by the regular/gloss wash mix. Keen to hear your thoughts on this.

I'm not entirely sure what I think of this NHM (non-highlighted metals!) thing that seems to be on trend at the moment. I did the same on the Redemptor Dreadnought I painted quickly to get out for it's release day, but that was more down to the time constraint I put on myself....I suppose the same applies to you here of sorts?

Whilst the other colours certainly do draw the eye, especially with your trademark crisp highlights, I can't help but look at the model and think it seems unfinished...especially knowing it's yours! You've fallen fowl of your own ability haha!! One neat bright silver highlight would give you an amazing finish here, but I get it's not the point.

Base is awesome btw. Fits in with your other stuff whilst having some variety/interest.

All that said, if the goal is "quick but good looking" as you say, then I think you can definitely consider your goal achieved (or scored...past a Banshee in goal!). It does look great and I'm probably being overly critical above :P x

On 8/2/2017 at 9:26 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

I too am intrigued by the regular/gloss wash mix. Keen to hear your thoughts on this.

I'm not entirely sure what I think of this NHM (non-highlighted metals!) thing that seems to be on trend at the moment. I did the same on the Redemptor Dreadnought I painted quickly to get out for it's release day, but that was more down to the time constraint I put on myself....I suppose the same applies to you here of sorts?

Whilst the other colours certainly do draw the eye, especially with your trademark crisp highlights, I can't help but look at the model and think it seems unfinished...especially knowing it's yours! You've fallen fowl of your own ability haha!! One neat bright silver highlight would give you an amazing finish here, but I get it's not the point.

Base is awesome btw. Fits in with your other stuff whilst having some variety/interest.

All that said, if the goal is "quick but good looking" as you say, then I think you can definitely consider your goal achieved (or scored...past a Banshee in goal!). It does look great and I'm probably being overly critical above :P x

Thanks! I just stole the 50/50 regular and gloss mix from Paul and Darren. They're the ones that came up with it, but it seems to work! I will definitely be planning on adding highlights to the metallics of my characters and maybe some elite units, but for the rank and file I think this is good. I have about 700 pts of Hammers of Sigmar painted to a very high standard, but I lost steam on the project. I'm trying to avoid that here so I'd rather go for something quicker. I can always go back later and add the Stormhost Silver highlights when I have time.

On 8/2/2017 at 8:56 AM, ChippyRick said:

I just copied Paul and Darren, though the Gloss ones tend to flow into the crevices on their own more.

On 8/4/2017 at 9:23 AM, Stormhost Triumvirate said:

Did you manage to make any fluff for this Stormhost?

Not yet, didn't want to become to attached to it before I had settled on the scheme 100%. I'm still a bit worried it's too close to my Overlords scheme and I may switch out the Incubi Darkness for a different color, maybe purple or red...

overlord.jpg.bd4d49a4b13f68d24cf584fbceaea369.jpg

So here are some quick photoshop jobs on alternate colors for the pteruges and tabards to help differentiate them from the Overlords. I kind of like the purple ones a lot. If I did the purple I would change the scroll to be purple too, switch the weapon hafts to either the standard Stormcast Screamer Pink color or black, and do the plumes in the green color to tie the whole alliance together, but in a more subtle way.

5989c864c3f3e_ScreenShot2017-08-07at5_07_27PM.png.c698e3c13835722f41988d00262474aa.png

5989c85d176e4_ScreenShot2017-08-08at10_14_58AM.png.78a7e8786f84394ed2db34bb6e0c9bd1.png

5989c8b40f09a_ScreenShot2017-08-08at10_13_35AM.png.7fe0b1501eec2169eb31e0d7d3e672d5.png

Or should I just stick with the green I have? I do like that one too. Just afraid of sameness with Overlords. Thoughts?

Purple. It's a solid combination that harmonizes well with the spot gold. And has a nice bit of color without being overwhelming.

The brown is "flat" looking and the Red is ... it feels like it is clashing. I keep having my eyes drawn to the color and it's distracting from the rest of the model. It's very overpowering.

The purple has a similar visual feel to the green. But it would be distinct from an army perspective and not just be "big KO" models.

I vote purple.

Edit: Would you be so kind and share your basing technique that you're using with the Shattered Dominion bases? (Did I miss that tutorial on your site?)

I would vote for the purple, but maybe Daemonette Hide for the greyish purple.

Also, thank you for your tutorials on your blog.  I have been using your Kharadron scheme and it is so easy.  However, I changed the green for turqouise with Sotek Green.

I actually really like the brown variant. It's so dark and muted compared to the usual bombastic Stormcast schemes, which lends it that sense of gritty realism and gives it a very unique character. Plus it looks much more coherent with the rest of the colour scheme, while the red and purple clash a bit because they're so much brighter than everything else.

Mind you, you're clearly an exceptionally talented painter, and I suspect you could make any of these colour schemes look amazing :)

I agree with @Davariel. Honestly, both the purple and red feel forced at that place and so isolated in the composition. while the brown complements the gold much better and specifically enforces the relation to the halo, which in return is enforcing the face as the focal point very nicely. If you do go with Purple, I would try to find some other accent closer towards the face. The purple and red makes the groin area the focal point of the model rather than the face,  and the face is a much more flattering area to enter the viewing experience from.

I'm excited to see more models and list on this project.

On 8/8/2017 at 3:23 PM, Mengel Miniatures said:

So here are some quick photoshop jobs on alternate colors for the pteruges and tabards to help differentiate them from the Overlords. I kind of like the purple ones a lot. If I did the purple I would change the scroll to be purple too, switch the weapon hafts to either the standard Stormcast Screamer Pink color or black, and do the plumes in the green color to tie the whole alliance together, but in a more subtle way.

5989c864c3f3e_ScreenShot2017-08-07at5_07_27PM.png.c698e3c13835722f41988d00262474aa.png

5989c85d176e4_ScreenShot2017-08-08at10_14_58AM.png.78a7e8786f84394ed2db34bb6e0c9bd1.png

5989c8b40f09a_ScreenShot2017-08-08at10_13_35AM.png.7fe0b1501eec2169eb31e0d7d3e672d5.png

Or should I just stick with the green I have? I do like that one too. Just afraid of sameness with Overlords. Thoughts?

I think I like either the purple or the original colour. If you went with the purple maybe consider adding some purple to 1 or both of the should pads as well? might help make the cloth stand out less if there is another area of that spot colour.

• 10 months later...

Mate. I LOVE this color scheme. 

I was going with hallowed knight(already done the shadespire minis) but I think I’ll copy yours. It’s awesome. With the green. 

May I ask u what color did I use for green and gold? I already sprayed my sce with leadbelcher spray 

Archived