"Allies"

TheNotebookGM

With the new rules on allies looming for GHB2017 what "Splash" will you add to your army and why?

My "Langk-Strol" Kharadron infantry/balloon army will be splashing Seraphon because my friend and I are going to run a narrative campaign against one another and that's who he plays and I want to see his face when a couple hundred points worth of his own people, enslaved to fight against his armies, serve as my chaff units. I want to make him slay his own clutchmates to get to my thunderers. 

I'm painting my army in preparation for this. 

Spiderfang allegiance but with Moonclan Grots as allies, just a unit of grot battleline with some fanatics. (1000 points). Should be a good mix of magic, monster, tons of mortal wounds, plus a good anti-charge battleline cannon fodder. 

Undecided for 2000 points, but most likely a pan-Destruction allegiance of 1000 Moonclan points, 600 Spiderfang, 400 troggoths (so no change really). No Moonclan allegiance ability so no point sticking to just 400 points of allies. Going full Spiderfang still feels overly-spidery, although the new horde bonus to Moonclan Grot 40 model unit might be worth investing in for a tough cannon fodder front line, with fanatics of course. 

I'm looking forward to splashing in Wanderers to my Sylvaneth army. A nice block of Glade Guard maybe backed up by a Spellweaver.

I'll have to wait and see if Allies will be able to qualify for battleline, although I suspect not as GW seem to be pushing the "Battleline if..." concept a lot more.

1 minute ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

I'm looking forward to splashing in Wanderers to my Sylvaneth army. A nice block of Glade Guard maybe backed up by a Spellweaver.

I'll have to wait and see if Allies will be able to qualify for battleline, although I suspect not as GW seem to be pushing the "Battleline if..." concept a lot more.

Yeah it looks like the 'new' battle line units are going to be within your chosen allegiance only, e.g. I reckon Moonclan will get Squig Hoppers as battle line. Otherwise there will be too much battle line choice surely. 

I kinda like the idea, it helps "broaden" the ranged of minis in the armies, one of the biggest advanteges of the newer  armies especially with new army books, were unit selections, this can cover som flaws in your army and make it more viable, the other way to do this would be to release an army book for each factions along with new units, but that could take ages.

My two first thoughts were

1) put either and luminark of hysh or a Celestial hurricanum in my stormcast army, to help them either negate mortal wounds, or increase their on 6+ attack effects, which they have limited ways of doing.

2) I love my devouted army dearly, but I know it will never succed in anything other than a friendly game where the opponent plays to my strengths. now I could add some edge, by buying freeguild Greatswords, so I have some much needed rend and a melee unit with a save that can support itself without buffs, or an archery like unit to weaken things. 

Both of the armies will stay almost the same, or core its only a small % of figures from other factions, than the main faction.

3) of course this will bring change that could lead to some nasty things.

On 1-8-2017 at 0:43 PM, SpiritofHokuto said:

My wanderers might see the table gain that way... I'm not sure what exactly sylvaneth need from wanderers...

However: Just putting a loremaster in a free spirit team might be fun too.

Archived