Critique for paint look

I've been experimenting with a different color set for my Stormcasts and I was thinking something around a red and gold theme for them. I pulled out Blood Angel colors and made 3 to test out the look.

Here's one of the three. I like the way the colors look, but it looks kinda dull and too bright. Criticism is appreciated.

P_20170730_150935.jpg

The scheme looks good. If you don't want to highlight with layers I'd suggest the following three step approach to achieve red armour. 

Paint the entire model with a thin coat of metal base coat. Then Paint the entire model with a thin coat of a brighter steel colour. Then wash the entire model with the red glaze gw have released a couple of times. Creates a really nice metallic red effect that's super easy. 

When applying paint to the model make sure you water it down with water and your painting will flow much better. 

Good luck!

1 minute ago, Koalaninja said:

The scheme looks good. If you don't want to highlight with layers I'd suggest the following three step approach to achieve red armour. 

Paint the entire model with a thin coat of metal base coat. Then Paint the entire model with a thin coat of a brighter steel colour. Then wash the entire model with the red glaze gw have released a couple of times. Creates a really nice metallic red effect that's super easy. 

When applying paint to the model make sure you water it down with water and your painting will flow much better. 

Good luck!

Thanks! I was using basic layering, but I'll give what you said a shot. Which metallic paint colors would be better, gold or silver?

9 hours ago, Koalaninja said:

This is an example of the effect taken from the armies on display section of the aos Facebook page. 

IMG_0492.PNG

The way the red has settled, it looks more like Carroburg Crimson than Bloodletter.  If you have some test models, try them both and see how you like it.  You could also use Tamiya Clear Red, just thin it a lot (like 6:1).  If you don't have test models, go to the dollar store and buy some plastic army men.

Yes, it is a shade.  It will tint the silver red like what you see in the above picture.  It may take more than one coat to get that tone.

I was cruising the Warhammer Community and saw this article where the paint describes using a FW Angron Red Clear.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/29/james-and-chris-order-and-chaos-armies/

If you do not have an airbrush, you can try to replicate it using Tamiya Red Metallic spray.  Here is a good tutorial for Heresy Thousand Sons.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/236305-the-sekhmet-hh-emperors-children-dreadnought-dp-27517/page-90#entry4530854

Really build up the brightness of the silver first.  Base Leadbelcher, layer Ironbreaker on the upraised areas, and edge Stormhost Silver.  This will create depth and additional shading when you apply the Crimson.  As mentioned earlier, plastic army men make great test minis.  I still use my son's from when he was little.  It's also how I taught him to paint.

If you want a glossy red effect on the cheap a good way to do it would be to spray the models with Retributor Armour spray, then apply 2 or 3 thin coats of Blood For the Blood God mixed 1:1 with Bloodletter glaze.  (Alternatively use Spirit Stone Red gem paint mixed 1:1 with Carroburg Crimson).

Both these colour mixes should work quite well over the gold undercoat.  After youve got the red looking nice just touch up, shade and highlight the gold, then paint the other bits and you're done.

Hope that helps.

Archived