Speed-painted Stormcast Eternals

polarbear

Hi all,

I quite like the Stormcast models, and I tried painting them for real when AoS came out. It took me too long to get through the starter box highlighting every edge of the armour and whatnot, so I said ****** it and switched to an extremely fast paint scheme. At the end of the day, it has to be enjoyable for me.

I oscillate a lot on if I even like what I did, but from certain angles/lighting I think it looks cool. I tend to have one project going on that I work hard on, and then one speed-paint project. Feels good to bang out a whole army pretty quickly.

My justification for the scheme is they are a dark legion of barely human, emotionless super warriors trudging through a storm/hail/harsh rain and getting very bloody during it.

This was made up from the models I had, not any particular list, but the army is as follows:

Celestant Prime

Lord Celestant on Dracoth

Lord Relictor

Knight Venator

10x Libs with hammer and shield

10x Libs with paired blades

10x Protectors

5x Retributors

2x Dracothian Knights

Thanks for looking!

IMG_8320.jpg.2ce40928be75c09cc64fbea1090752db.jpg

IMG_8314.jpg.06ba340cc4ca9b0ab7d355341d32be05.jpg

IMG_8333.jpg.20abac5bdddff6d831f7c19d1f7ed1ae.jpg

IMG_8306.jpg.470e9dcc375003b3810c2bedeb46f87e.jpg

IMG_8290.jpg.934f7154f6a5a313f8b556f5ad37608d.jpg

IMG_8282.jpg.1fed600199f166bd65a5be2cfb17c033.jpgIMG_8266.jpg.0d6e91aedede50b86eadbd1f5a5816d0.jpg

IMG_8278.jpg.bba484827f79a59aee9cace11877fdd2.jpg

IMG_8338.jpg.5ce267e90064e92bcc19fea2a36eb7f5.jpg

I'd be very keen to know more about how exactly you speed painted them!

Perhaps you could post a mini tutorial at some point? I love the dark look of these!  I was going to explore more of a dark look for SCE myself, kind of like the Death Watch Space Marines.

Thanks for the good words!

10 minutes ago, Chillpill said:

I'd be very keen to know more about how exactly you speed painted them!

Perhaps you could post a mini tutorial at some point? I love the dark look of these!  I was going to explore more of a dark look for SCE myself, kind of like the Death Watch Space Marines.

These are about as simple as I've ever painted, which is why I enjoyed doing them. If you didn't count drying time, I wonder if I even put 60 seconds into each model! The bases took longer than the models themselves.

Here's the whole method, and you could probably speed it up with Leadbelcher spray:

- Prime black

- Leadbelcher all over

- Drakenhof Nightshade wash all over

- Runefang Steel drybrush. The heavier you go, the brighter the model will be and the more the blue glaze will stand out later.

- Gulliman Blue wash all over. The heavier you go, the more blue stands out.

- Blood for the Blood God smears

For the bases:

- Astrogranite debris all over

- Drakenhof Nightshade wash all over

- Drybrush Blue Horror

- Make lightning lines with Kantor Blue

- Slightly smaller line within the line of Teclis Blue

- And the smallest lightning line of Ceramite White

Might have misspelled paint names as going from memory.

This looks amazing. I am going to start storm cast as well but I hate the gold colour scheme. I was thinking a white and black scheme with splashes of blood just like this. 

Glad to see something different and I think it really works well with the background. As eventually they just become husks that are little more than machines. 

Even better that it is quick to do. 

Thanks again, all!

2 hours ago, gumbi said:

These look so good!  Definitely saving this technique.  Well done.

Did you do anything different for the beasts skin etc?

I didn't. That was my most egregious laziness in action. I tried doing something different at first for the dracoth and it didn't look right, so I just went the same for everything. 

I'm interested in those Vanguard Palladors, but I'm trying to work out in my head if they'd look okay like this or not. Same with gryph hounds. 

• 11 months later...
On 7/16/2018 at 2:55 AM, Kuma said:

I added some glow to the eyes, weapons, scrolls, and some bling :D 

Can you post some pictures please? I think you used baharoth blue for that glowing effects? I would  take temple guard blue, baharoth look a little bit too bright but maybe its just the picture. Also i think that the gryph needs a diffrent color but still looks good.

Thanks, I decided to go with a different base style to show up better in battle reports. I feel the issue if you paint the other bits different  colors is that it will break the scheme and you will have to just paint these like normal models. 

That being said, this is a great armor color to continue an army with. GL!

17 hours ago, Kuma said:

Thanks, I decided to go with a different base style to show up better in battle reports. I feel the issue if you paint the other bits different  colors is that it will break the scheme and you will have to just paint these like normal models. 

That being said, this is a great armor color to continue an army with. GL!

Did you used gulliman blue for the armors too? Because polarbears models look more blueish.

i know what you mean but the human faces look very wierd to mee.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing work! I have fallen in love with the scheme, but I want to adapt it so that it fits my planned Order Alliance army better. For this, I need to switch the blue "glaze effect" to a red one instead... 

Do you have any recommendations on red washes I can use? :) 

Archived