Horde players rejoice!.......or not.

NOTE:This isn't meant to pick on anyone (i can't pick on anyone because I haven't even bought my first army) and is not meant to be a counter argument against Horde Players rejoice thread.This is just something interesting I found while looking for my first army.Feel free to correct me if I make"anymistakes"

Earlier this day while debating should I choose beastclaws or flesh eaters for my first army, I found an article called "massive regiments horde players rejoice"

and (no offense to the creator of the thread, he just said what was going to be in the new handbook).It was bombarded with people (again, no offense) saying that this is the end and hordes are OP now.With my limited knowledge of AOS and economics i would like to disprove that:

1. This isn't a videogame:

In video games, OP strategies are a HUGE problem, because people can get away with them.It isn't the same in wargaming. Except for tournaments, nobody has to up with those douchebags. Also I am willing to bargain there isn't a lot of people with INSANLY OVERPEWUUUUVERD lists because of casual nature of AOS (again I have no experience but I think I got that one right).

2.THE COST (dramatic music):
I heard GW minatures are a bit expansive (cough cough) but almost every horde army (except for probably flesh eaters because of their awesome start collecting box and the fact that they get 20 ghouls for 20 pounds and skeletons get 10 guys for 15 pounds) is insane.Let's take deathrattle: the backbone of their army are skeletons.I saw many complaints about 40 man skeletons being OP for their bonuses.10 skeletons are 80 points, so 40 skeletons are (correct me if I'm wrong) 320 points.on GW website, skeletons are 10 pounds for 10 guys.So in order to make a 40 man unit you need 60 pounds!Being only 320 points you would need at least two of them, so thats 120 pounds!For what?640 points of skeletons that require a lot of paints and are not interesting to paint.For 120 pounds, I can afford (need 15 pounds but some hero will pay for that) Icewind Assault box, that comes with around 1500 points of interesting to paint OGRES ON MAMMOTHS.Not only that,you can also try a lot of different weapons and configurations.I think I many would go with Icewind Assault.
So I think that now i can make an argument that for 2k deathrattle army, you would need 300+ pounds, not including bottles of agrax earthshade and ushabti bone.

I didn't make this argument to make all death players seem like rich douchebags, I just wanted to say that it seems pretty funny how people make this into such a big deal.I just wanted to say that If you ever lose in a tournament because some guy with 120 skeletons and n'gash destroyed you, just remember what kind of money he spend on them.

Also that is a pretty big IF because I don't understand how somebody can be mentally stable after painting 120 skeletons for just ONE army.

Regarding the cost, that's basically a non-issue for most existing Death players. Anyone who played Vampire Counts back in 8th edition or earlier will have hordes already. Massive blocks of zombies, skeletons, gouls, etc were the norm; it was just how the army worked back then. I think I have something like 200 zombies and 75 skeletons lol. 

Haven't played any AoS using my Death army, mainly focusing on my Wanderers/Sylvaneth. But with hordes becoming a thing I probably will!

NOTE:This isn't meant to pick on anyone ... ...I don't understand how somebody can be mentally stable after painting 120 skeletons for just ONE army.  

[humor] I might have a bone to pick with you on that one ... do you find it humerus that deathrattle army painters have to do so much painting? I'll quick skulking around this thread ... and show myself out...

[/humor]

[emoji6]

Note: At least they're not having to paint Night goblins .... let's not talk about the night goblins... especially when one decides to not use a simple paint scheme .... [emoji32]

Like the Mad Hatter said .... "we're all a little mad here ..."

Welcome to Hyperbole-ville also known as the Internet. The only place where the worst-case scenario always occurs and everything is awful all the time! Hoho!! You thought the opposite of a bad thing was a good thing?! Well, let Internet set you straight! The opposite of something bad is something even worse!

On a serious note, I do wake up everyday hoping this forum remains a positive, happy place full people who genuinely love this hobby (and doesn't devolve into the ****show that is every 40k forum). 

I'm with you on a number of points. Sometimes it can seem like the only people playing these games are you and mobs of selfish ***holes, but it's not true. It's that Internet hyperbole again.  Nearly all games are played with mid-to-low tier lists between friends for fun. After the models are packed up and the players go home, no one ever mentions the game online.  This makes it seem like no game ever occured, but of course, we know better!   There WAS a game but no one posted online about it! Online =\= Reality.

For most games, the min-max tourney scene and net lists just don't enter into it. This not to say the tournament scene has no influence, however the degree of influence can be mitigated by setting expectations for your own games and enforcing the social contract within your gaming group.  No one has the right to consistently ruin another person's games because of how they insist on playing.  No one has to tolerate games with selfish people who play only for themselves at the expense of other people's enjoyment.

Also as a new (post-AoS) Tomb King player, painting Skellies is soul-crushing. This comes from the owner of fully painted and based infantry Imp. Guard and Tyranid armies  I love me some horde armies, possibly because I'm a mas**hist and hate myself but that's just how I am! (Every guard model is named as well...luv it! ?) So props to the fully painted, based, themed, and awesome Skellie horde player. Boot to the head to unpainted, grey plastic, proxie-ridden Skellie horde player. Seriously, man...have some self respect! Paint your damn models! And if you find yourself in a game with type of player, don't panic! Politely but quickly finish your game and then never play them again (or at least not until reliable sources can confirm that they've gained some self-respect and painted their damn models!).

P.S. There are some people on the tga forum who've  contributed greatly to the AoS community but seem burdened by a truly awful community of try-hard, min-maxing, miserablely selfish ****weeds who play only for themselves and damn everyone else. My deepest respect to those folks for all their efforts but if I were to find myself in their shoes, here's what I would do. Calmly pack up my models, safe and snug in the closet, and take a break from the game. Hopefully this encourages the death of my local AoS community and drives out the ***holes.  Think of it like fumigating your house.  After some time passes and new blood arrives, give AoS another go. 

Welcome to AoS, by the way. It's a great game! I've been playing Warhammer (40k, Fantasy, AoS) for 14 years and AoS is definitely my favorite of the 3! ?

I think most people will agree with you mate. This is a great game. The forum is just full of vocal people who want to complain and write 'kunnin ruk is op' in every post. They live in a world where everyone plays the best army but this world doesn't exist for most people. I play in London and am yet to see one abuaive kunnin ruk player.

The Internet is a funny place, because everything becomes skewed and out of proportion. These changes haven't even happened officially yet and we have no empirical data from tournaments either to see if it's even spammed yet. 

I completely agree on the paint and build part. There are so many better and more interesting models out there. It's like the 27 sky fire list. If you want to spend time painting the same model to end up with a monotonous army,  hats off to you,  but I like my armies to look awesome and unique. 

I seriously wouldn't worry OP, I am going to a tournament next week and fully expect there to be the really hard lists. 

But at the same time there will be loads of players like me, who have taken a mid tier list to remain competitive but in order to use the models they want and still have  an awesome looking army. At the end of the day I won't be on the top tables playing those hard lists so it will not affect me in the slightest. 

Basically what I'm trying to say is, you are completely right. The Internet paints a picture of the doom and gloom WAAC player but in reality there are not many of these around. Most people are just looking to paint lovely models and have a fun spirited and tactical game. 

Welcome to the world of AoS. By the way I think beastclaw raiders are your best starter army. They are good models to cut your painting teeth on and are a good strong force that are easy to pick up the playstyle. 

Archived