GHB17 - massive regiments. Horde armies rejoice.

True competitive players aren't a rarity.  *tournament* players are a rarity.  I find most people are competitive to some degree. But human dynamics as it involves gaming is essentially take ten people and if just one is an esports player, the rest of the group will take harder lists because that one person started it, and many of the others will do it just so they aren't playing one sided games of getting rolled.

By the end, I typically find most of the group fields tournament lists.  Not because they are playing at tournaments, but because it is natural to not want to play a one-sided game, and each game the lists get harder to compensate for the e-sports guy and thats the ultimate conclusion.

If the game was tighter, this disparity wouldn't be as big a deal.

The other onus goes onto the player.  If you're not playing in a tournament, don't bring your tournament list.  Compete with a weaker list amongst players bringing weaker lists, and you'll be forced to use your brain more to compensate for the loss of your steep mathematical edge that the tournament list gave you.

I've found people far more self regulatory than you suggest and much more willing to accede to the group wishes although I'll agree that situation you describe is a possibility it's not something I've seen occur.

What you say in the final paragraph is much closer to my experience of things.

Though as I said earlier it is interesting to hear the experiences of different groups.

Edit: I'd add that when I say true competitive players I mean people who aren't trying to win a game but rather they are trying to beat the person across the table from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to have read some much about Auticus' gaming environment in the last few weeks!!!

5 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I am so happy that the general attitude of Austrians (I live in Linz) trends more towards narrative, story-driven and less competitive games.

Nice. If I ever move to česke budějovice I'll have to head to linz for occasional games! I spent my summer's there with my partners family! 

21 hours ago, Carnelian said:

Nice. If I ever move to česke budějovice I'll have to head to linz for occasional games! I spent my summer's there with my partners family! 

I'd love to visit the home of Budvar, only been up to Czechia the one time. Is there much of a Warhammer scene there?

16 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I'd love to visit the home of Budvar, only been up to Czechia the one time. Is there much of a Warhammer scene there?

No idea I currently live in England but go there a lot. I know there's a gaming scene in Prague but never met anyone into warhammer in the south. Maybe one day though....

On 8/4/2017 at 2:53 PM, wayniac said:

Well to be fair, that changed in Warmahordes.  But yeah, and I picked up Warmahordes because I had delusions of having a game where I could, in fact "git gud" and compete in.  It didn't work that way in practice, but it was a lofty dream.  Never in Warhammer though, because I firmly believe Warhammer is not, never really was, and never really will be meant for competitive play, it's just been shoehorned into that role (poorly).  Like and analogy I once gave, about building a shed to house tools and then deciding that you could sleep in it; you could, and it might not even be terrible, but the shed was made for holding tools, not for sleeping in.

Almost anything can be made into some sort of competitive event if you really insist; shin-kicking, bog snorkeling and chasing a cheese down a hill are all competitive events within reach of where I live. Arguably these are all more legitimate and worthy competitive endeavors than AOS or 40K, although  less physically pleasant and more dangerous.

I sometimes quite like the intellectual challenge of competitive GW games in my own way (try to beat the latest Netlist with something they will never have seen before) but after a brief (and occasionally successful) Tournament career I have concluded I like competitive games a lot more than I like some of the competitive gamers. :(

I really do have sympathy for players stuck in a local scene that is not to their liking and where some people feel entitled to belittle and denigrate anyone who does not choose to play that way. 

On 7/29/2017 at 10:09 AM, Carnelian said:

One of the Gaunt Summoners has a spell which is 4+ mortal wounds for each model if I recall

INFERNAL FLAMES
The Gaunt Summoner conjures a rolling wave of scorching wyrdfire that engulfs enemy formations. Infernal Flames has a casting value of 8. If successfully cast, pick a visible enemy unit and roll 1 dice for each model in the target unit that is within 18" of the caster; the unit suffers 1 mortal wound for each roll of 4 or more. Roll 3 dice for each Monster or War Machine in the target unit, rather than only 1 dice.

So, there are ways to counter it; spread out as far as you can. Also, any -1 to cast will help, since its a high casting value. Of course there is the problem of the balewind vortex, and the fact that Kiros Fateweaver will know his spell and has a very low chance to fail it.

Spreading out will also greatly limit the devastation from the other two major horde destroyers - Drycha and Decimators. 

IMO the existence of the Gaunt Summoner makes me extremely wary of playing any horde army competitively. 

On 7/30/2017 at 11:53 PM, daedalus81 said:

Have we seen people running that seemingly very successful skeleton horde army at a recently recorded tournament?

Skeletons are an excellent horde. 40 skeletons is a powerhouse. The reason you don't see a lot is their 4" movement, and the fact that you cannot summon 40 of them, so they have to appear on the table and foot-slog slowly across the battlefield. There are no good deployment options for them. Ghouls in contrast have 6" movement and special deployment options like Ghoul Patrol. 10 ghouls is also worth summoning for their 20 attacks, opposed to skeletons which are dependent on high model count to stay effective.  Small units of zombies combine into one unit so they are a popular choice. With the discounts on hordes - and hopefully with some new deployment options in a new deathrattle book - we are going to see a lot more skeletons for sure.

On 4/8/2017 at 2:56 PM, wayniac said:

To be fair, I also think that the UK (Europe in general, perhaps?  Maybe even "Not the USA") are more reasonable in backing off. 

At times even to a fault.

A few weeks back I was visiting Madrid so I brought my Xwing ships and played a pickup game at a big store.

Next to my table there were two guys playing Malifaux, one was obviously more experienced than the other, and by the end of the game the losing one accused him of powergaming and bringing OP combos while the winning one told him "I just used the stuff in the intro box, this is a purposely soft list, I tabled you because you left x and y totally exposed".

It went on for a few minutes and probably missed most of it (I had a game at hand, and I don't have any familiarity with Malifaux) but it's something I've seen in warhammer and many other games. People pretty much refusing to learn the basics, pushing their minis forward and still expecting to win.

I'm a casual player for the most part (we don't even play points for AoS, and I've scaled back my tournament participation in other games as I grew older) but I can't get around people not properly learning the basic ropes of the game. You may as well just move them around and make pewpew sounds for the combat phase.

Sometimes the "git gud" crowd has a point.

4 hours ago, karch said:

Sometimes the "git gud" crowd has a point.

To a point ;) I've seen a lot of people who barely know the AOS rules, and it's 4 pages!  Like.. they understand the bare minimum, but don't read abilities and constantly ask me (I'm kind of the go-to guy for AOS rules questions, but I don't claim to know them that well either, I'm still largely a newb) things that are in the 4 page sheet; i've had people forget their hero phase because they think it's after movement (although the fact 40k has psychic phase after movement doesn't help here), ask to remember how you run or charge, ask if something can pile in, etc.  It does get incredibly frustrating, but I 100% agree:  There are people who don't bother to read the rules or actually think, just move things forward to the middle, and then wonder why a clever opponent crushes them.  I've seen people in my social circle call Stormcast "insanely OP" and a "powerlist" when the guy was literally using the starter box contents and a unit of Judicators added.  But the sentiment was bordering on a refusal to play against Stormcast lists at all because they were "too good"; I'd hate to see what the sentiment would be against a serious power list (AOS is very laid back by me and is sort of dying on the vine, so we don't have tournaments and such at all).

It really is ridiculous at times.

Archived