What do we think about the lack of releases for AoS?

Ok i throw that bullet. Mainly because i am really tired of these stale rumors: Nurgle? Yes but at july- oh wait- ehm from August to september. Dark elves? Eheh when? High elves? Mah. Slaanesh? Same. 

I think that this behaviour by games workshop is underrated in terms of damage it can do. Not to the old players but to the new one.

If i am a new player and i wanted to start in june, i would have went to the game centre and said: " i was interested in aos, do you suggest me it?" "well new 40k has just come out and they will release it for a while." yes because 40k is the lucky children/man that i personally hate .

40 k has tons of attention from GW mainly because the importance of 40k in her gains. 40 k has 3 months of releases, like 10 codexes that will be made until the end of the year, totally new starter box (not thunder and blood), new armies, new ruleset (which is a completed copy of aos one or at least this is what it seemed to me), new FAQ a few weeks post release... And this could have been done  with some aos releases between. Which didn't happen. And this makes me think that... Aos is inferior. Maybe it's not your case but is mine. I mean 40 k is at his 8th edition. We are at our 1st and we get less attention? Isn't that completely wrong? I should promote the newer brand cause it is more likely that it grows, instead 40k can hardly do it. Maybe catch up some old players but not that much. 40k will have 10 or more codexes made until eoy... I mean we have as armies with allegiance abilities: BCR, stormcast, sylvaneth, bok, dot, KO. 6 armies in one year more or less, they'll receive 10 in half the time. This doesn't make you angry as a BT???

Let me know what do you think

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40k is getting the same attention AoS got in its first year.
It is also the top earner for GW usually so it's understandable that it would have more of a focus.
AoS is not necessary an inferior product and the work they do on it is very top quality compared to how things used to be, I only see the company moving forward in a positive way.

Be patient, there is plenty out there to discover that has already been released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm an angry bitter old death player who hasn't seen a new model in his faction in years so I'm frustrated by the lack of release but I'm pretty much always frustrated with GW so it isn't much of a change in state for me.

That said I haven't been playing any AoS and won't be giving GW any more money until they release something I want as my own little protest. There are lots of other miniatures games out there to play while I wait.

It feels like they only have one team.  So for awhile they work on AOS, then while that is getting manufactured and rolled out they are working on 40K,  then back to AOS, etc.

Why not do every other month, or every two months,  AOS, 40K, AOS, 40K. This keeps interest high in both.

18 minutes ago, Oppenheimer said:

I'm pretty much always frustrated with GW so it isn't much of a change in state for me.

That said I haven't been playing any AoS and won't be giving GW any more money until they release something I want as my own little protest

... and yet you are involved still and feel a need to share your negative feelings in this overwhelmingly positive place ... ok.

"Hey, just so you all know, I feel wronged, but I think I like that so, um, here I am still."

Disciples of Tzeentch, Kharadron Overlords and maybe something else. I don't count SE addons as they just make me angry for all the spotlight they get while others don't. 3 factions if we get something. This is disappointing especially when you remind yourself the expectations people had. Two factions so far, we are almost in August. Do I have to mention factions that need extra units far more than SE? And nothing. 

AoS had a lot of releases when it launched whereas 40k didn't get as much attention. Now 40k is rereleased it will obviously get more releases than AoS. It isn't inferior.@shadowgra 40k at its 8th release and AoS at its "1st" doesn't mean GW should concentrate on AoS more. They have a solid 40k base which generates a lot of cash for them and at the end of the day they are a business first...and businesses need to make money to survive. As for AoS at its "1st" release, it was stated at launch that they wanted to move away from edition releases so AoS would grow organically as the game and story progress. BTW I have never played 40k, only AoS.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'm more concerned about all the flash and glitz from 40K taking back players than for AoS releases.

Even if GW didn't release anything for 5 years there's just so much on the menu you can't realistically check everything. I for one know that my painting queue is denominated in years so a release hiatus once in a while makes my wallet happy.

10 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

... and yet you are involved still and feel a need to share your negative feelings in this overwhelmingly positive place ... ok.

"Hey, just so you all know, I feel wronged, but I think I like that so, um, here I am still."

That sounds like a pretty negative attitude towards me. So you're not here to be positive either?

I am just responding to the original posters question. I'm not just spouting off topic vitriol.

I am invested in GW and have opinions. Sometimes they're positive but I'm not a believer in if you have nothing good to say to not say anything at all. Nothing wrong with pointing out flaws so that improvements can be made in future.

36 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

40k is getting the same attention AoS got in its first year.

This was my first thought while reading @shadowgra's initial post. Yes, it's frustrating seeing all the 40K releases, and AoS feels ignored right now.

But when you think back to the crazy release schedule we've had in the first two years of AoS, was it realistic to expect that pace to continue? I imagine that most users of this forum are hoping AoS is handled like a marathon rather than a sprint. And nobody is going to keep up a 10-second 100-meter dash pace over the course of a marathon, including GW!

AoS releases will come. A year from now if we don't see the release pendulum swinging our way again I'd say frustration boiling over is a reasonable response -- but not yet.

@OppenheimerI'm with ya!  We don't always have to wear our rose colored glasses, but it just struck me as odd that you were essentially saying that you don't like GW - like, ever - and yet felt a need to share that on its own.

:shrug:

Or another way to say it would be that if you are always frustrated by GW, why do you continue to show interest and than share your negative vibe?  What's the point?  There are lots of things out there that are cool without being frustrating.  For example, Zombicide Black Plague (it's amazeballz).

10 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

@OppenheimerI'm with ya!  We don't always have to wear our rose colored glasses, but it just struck me as odd that you were essentially saying that you don't like GW - like, ever - and yet felt a need to share that on its own.

:shrug:

Or another way to say it would be that if you are always frustrated by GW, why do you continue to show interest and than share your negative vibe?  What's the point?  There are lots of things out there that are cool without being frustrating.  For example, Zombicide Black Plague (it's amazeballz).

I think it's because it pains me to see my 14000 points of Death models sitting on a shelf and to remember the good times playing with them, that I'm not having right now. One of the few ways it makes me feel better is to vent my frustrations in a place where people can empathise.

I assure you as soon as Death does get a release I'll be ecstatic. It's just be death by a thousand cuts since the end times in that regard. But this topic only feeds into my despair. Say for example if a topic came along about how awesome Nagash was in the Lord of Undeath then I would be mostly positive in posting there.

I don't know if any of that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Oppenheimer said:

I think it's because it pains me to see my 14000 points of Death models sitting on a shelf and to remember the good times playing with them, that I'm not having right now. One of the few ways it makes me feel better is to vent my frustrations in a place where people can empathise.

I hear ya. The photos are just some of my painted undead.  Then there is the pile of unpainted, yet paid, stuff.  At least three times what you see.

Plus, I've sold off at least twice what you see here over the years.

I am an invested Death player.

I am having a great time with Skaven, Nurgle, Sylvaneth, Overlords, Orks, Orruks, Black Plague (again, awesome game), Necrons, Renegade, Warhammer Quest, and so on because I know there will be a time for Death.  My hobby ADD helps me. :)

I guess i'm saying buck up, camper.  We're gonna have a blast in time, but for now, enjoy the fabulousawesomecool that it happening all around us. GW has never, ever been more connected to the customer. The models have never been higher quality.  It's a golden era.  Don't let your personal darkness overshadow that.

cab1.jpg

cab2.jpg

I don't feel there's been a lack at all. We had a massive new range at the start of the year (Tzeentch) a massive new release in Spring (Kharadron) - a smaller release (Stormcast). 2 expansions of play (Skirmish and PtG) and a soon to be released new edition of the GHB. Not to mention the latest wave of Start Collectings make even more factions very affordable. Oh and Shadespire coming this fall too.

Do you guys need new armies every other month to feel content with the game?

For me, I've got loads of gaming and painting to be had and I don't need a constant stream of releases in the background to keep me motivated. :) 

As a fellow deadite, I can feel you're pain.  We had a two faction army, reduced by half in the transition from Warhammer to AoS, and since then, we've only gotten a set of re-packs, and one (admittedly awesome) Codex.

I am disappointed and frustrated that we didn't see at least one more Codex and some new models in that time, considering we are now the smallest and least diverse (aesthetically) GA in the game.

That said, the current drought doesn't surprise me.  Whenever a new edition hits the shelves, it is always followed by a ton of excitement, it's only natural for GW to capitalize on that.  Hopefully in a few months  we'll settle into more regular releases.  I feel extremely confident in believing that even now, my awesome new Death Army is out their, in it's final stages of planning/production, and that we'll see new stuff soon.  But right now, releasing more AoS would put it in competition with 40k sales, and it would loose, since 40k has always been the GW hotness, and will be especially during the first several months of a new edition.

So, yes, I want more AoS, especially things that rot, shamble, and no longer breath or eat. But no, I ain't even mad bro.  

But, in the interest of full disclosure:

I loved Old-Hammer, but hated the rules, they were way to byzantine.  Since AoS hit the market, I've been a complete fan boy.  And, since then my confidence that the new GW finally understands it's market, and knows how to serve it, has been growing.  The new 40k rules have really cemented that opinion for me (I collect Dark Angels).  So, I'm just not going to throw my hands up and have a meltdown just yet.  Even though I want to, since my TK bit the dust (pun intended) and my new chosen faction is rotting away in the realm of death. 

Then I remember, the dead can wait forever, and that's why we always win.  Because where other factions grow old and weak, and die in fruitless wars against each other, their conflict only fills our ranks. Every meaningless loss, every hollow victory only adds eternal warriors to our silent legions.

In death, all serve Nagash!

(Except Settra, that dude is an F-ing bad ass.)

GW pretty much satisfied my desires with Disciples.  That said I still long for releases, because I totally enjoy the energy it brings to other players.

Maybe when they do something with Wood Elves i'll get another army started with the missus.

No, it doesn't bother me. Although I am a bit bothered about how many of the local AoS players dropped it for 40K as soon as it released. This wouldn't have been a concern if I played 40K myself, but I've got zero interest in it. At least here in western Sweden it feels like the interest for AoS imploded. On a rational level I know most of them are coming back, but it still annoys me. 

From a strictly personal point of view I'm more annoyed about stuff like skirmish, path to glory etc. This for me is release time spent on things that I've got no interest in what so ever. But that's just me I guess.

If I'd been working at GW, well maybe I would be concerned about the fact that their biggest competitor is ... themselves. AoS gets released, 40K sales drop. New 40K drops, AoS implodes.

1 hour ago, bottle said:

I don't feel there's been a lack at all. We had a massive new range at the start of the year (Tzeentch) a massive new release in Spring (Kharadron) - a smaller release (Stormcast). 2 expansions of play (Skirmish and PtG) and a soon to be released new edition of the GHB. Not to mention the latest wave of Start Collectings make even more factions very affordable. Oh and Shadespire coming this fall too.

Do you guys need new armies every other month to feel content with the game?

For me, I've got loads of gaming and painting to be had and I don't need a constant stream of releases in the background to keep me motivated. :) 

I want the new campaign books to start coming out.  Maybe not at the previous pace but would like them to start talking about it.

For me yeah, it's hard to feel hyped about AoS. Skirmish and PtG are cute but seriously, they were low-effort productions of stuff the community already did. I also don't know what Shadespire is going to do for actual AoS. I picked up Skirmish but I really don't know that I'll ever play it over just playing a normal AoS game.

It's not about AoS vs 40k at all. It does not matter to me as an AoS player how much or little is released for 40k. GW's release scheduling and marketing is their problem, not mine.

Are we really going to be waiting until the fall for GHB2? Sheesh.

It's not the end of the world and I'm not throwing my models on the grill or anything but the game does feel noticeably neglected these days.

24 minutes ago, chord said:

I want the new campaign books to start coming out.  Maybe not at the previous pace but would like them to start talking about it.

Yeah! I didn't get any of the Realmgate Wars (though I bought a battlepack for one) mainly because I don't have a big collection of any of the major players. I am hoping for some one-off campaign books that are completely detached and feature a selection of the races that haven't seen much of the limelight.

26 minutes ago, bottle said:

Yeah! I didn't get any of the Realmgate Wars (though I bought a battlepack for one) mainly because I don't have a big collection of any of the major players. I am hoping for some one-off campaign books that are completely detached and feature a selection of the races that haven't seen much of the limelight.

The battleplans can be used by any races, but yeah the story focused mainly on khorne, stormcast, nurgle, sylvaneth, fireslayers with a few others added in.

Archived