Dark Age of Sigmar / AoS28 Inpsiration thread

Moldek

Hello everyone,

I'm sure we all have a favorites folder full of inspiration for dark fantasy miniatures, I know I've been scouring the internet for dark art and hobbyist blogs, and I thought it would be cool to share and discuss :)
Porst anything that inspires you, whether  it's a short story, a kitbashing blog, a bosch painting or some vacation pictures! As long as you feel it adds to the myriad of dark recesses one could find in the vast universe of Age of Sigmar...

I'll start off with my latest find, although a lot of you probably already know it :

Capture.PNG.abad2870c4c3bd24451569cb24184ae4.PNG
Gardens of Hecate is a croatian hobbyist's blog, tremendously inspiring, wonderfully dark stuff with strong influences from John Blanche and Ian Miller, eastern folk tales, oldhammer and others. Every post is awesome and full of creativity, makes you think "why didn't I think of that?"

So now... Show me what you got!

100% agree! Ana's Gardens of Hecate blog is awesome, it's also one of my staple sites to check. Other sites that are worth checking out are:

Tommy /  @Bigbossredskullz

https://bigbossredskullz.com/2017/05/10/whq-hammerhal-11/

img_2032.jpg?w=580

Helge / WilhelMiniatures

http://wilhelminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/aos28-kairic-acolytes-for-silver-tower.html

uoZezfZFTbK678HwFDnegA_thumb_875d.jpg

The Ironsleet group (Kari, Migs, Mikko and Toni) are more 40k focused but they occasionally some up with something that is pure AoS28:

https://ironsleet.com/2017/02/09/forest-swords/

img_3394.jpg?w=1400

If I can think of more I'll add them later!

Excellent choices @WarbossKurgan !
Iron Sleet was probably the blog that got me wanting to get back into painting and converting, they have great projects with excellent photography, very powerful atmosphere... @Bigbossredskullz 's work I first saw here on TGA, but I stumbled into his blog a few days ago while feverishly clicking every link I could find on some other blog. Great stuff too!
WilhelMiniatures looks really cool, this is a style of painting and color choices that I'd love to emulate. So many great stuff online! I remember when I only read white dwarf, and the rare article about stuff like ally morrison's Mordheim possessed warband just blew my mind! Now I just keep finding new awesome projects everyday, it's almost overwhelming sometimes...

Not technically AoS most of the time, but with a lot of great, old-school style stuff is Amateur Hour. Also some cool scenery and a bit of scuplting, which is always a plus in my book :)

Capture.PNG

7 minutes ago, Moldek said:

Ironsleet was probably the blog that got me wanting to get back into painting and converting, they have great projects with excellent photography, very powerful atmosphere

Oh yes, their photography is on another level! :x

We should include http://www.exprofundis.com/ since Jake is really the one who named the "movement" and started a coherent discussion about it!

And a slight self-promotion here but http://viktorswarroom.blogspot.co.uk/ and http://talesfromshyish.blogspot.co.uk/ are both worth a look. They are the other 2 guys in my gaming group and we have just started an AoS28-inspired Skirmish campaign set in the Harrowmark in Shyish.

@WarbossKurgan Noice thread! Didn't know about Ironsleet, looks excellent!

You already posted about bigbossredskullz, but his ".... of matters arcane and magic" is one of the craziest things I've seen. Pure unadulterated chaos. Highly recommended check for anyone.

wp-1453758782111.jpeg 

wp-1462396282781.jpg

@VBS great stuff! I love that realm of chaos vibe...

There's also plenty of inspiration in renaissance art, the most notorious are probably bosch and bruegel, but for terrain / mood another great one is piranesi. His drawings of real and imaginary ruins have a crazy sense of scale and darkness that really fits the vast universe of aos imo :

piranese5.jpg

piranese4.jpg

piranese3.jpg

piranese2.jpg

piranese1.jpg

Concerning painters, I think there is one guy who's style fits all the murky and sick aesthetic, Paolo Girardi (well known for his metal album covers). GW should definitely get him do some artwork.

tumblr_nmeg1nk72g1r30ie1o4_500.jpg

1a8ada9fa75a19f4f699eaf6c54f121a--metal-on-metal-evil-art.jpg

girardi_unfathom01_l.jpg

Straight outta the Realms of Chaos!

Ok guys, this time here's what I got :

Artist Haruko Maeda has some great stuff, good inspiration for Death, or even stuff like stormcast and crazy terrain :
HarukoMaeda1.jpg.c4d865b74152a263dce7d33e3a175cce.jpgHarukoMaeda2.jpg.3ab141cd9d629e7fb40712a0031d1bd4.jpgHarukoMaeda3.jpg.8297add4b247a511b58a7f2e45a29234.jpgHarukoMaeda4.png.56d164dbfe6b1563694129bf4bbb6b8d.png

And here are some various medieval monsters, can serve as inspiration for freehand / banner / scenery frescos, camapaign maps and illustrations, or crazy conversions in the Realm of Chaos spirit :
MonstreMedieval2.jpg.a1f1a25158faaa70d00d3189a7b3ac68.jpgMonstreMedieval13.jpg.5373888c5e1aba469df5e06405b33300.jpgMonstreMedieval4.jpg.33728a4a662a10eab2163e32fe06087a.jpg
MonstreMedieval5.jpg.c919e3c1d60950099c81c455045220f7.jpg

If you're looking for inspiration for a specific need or theme, feel free to ask! If you've seen something cool, feel free to post :)

• 3 weeks later...

Dug these two out today. Don't mind the dust. Technically, iirc in Elfslayer, Max Schreiber points out that Felix has not aged and he was too unscarred despite all they've been through, hinting at a bit of cursed immortality.

Haven't read the last two books but if that's still in the canon, then what if Felix awoke in the tomb or whatever, spending years digging himself out both physically and mentally and then just sorta travels the Realms, still a wandering poet, still writing and following Freeguild companies and other forces of Order into the wilderness, fighting in arenas, getting in barfights, bedding women as he somehow always manages to do.

Never forgetting but always remembering, something like Connor Macleod from Highlander. And maybe he is followed by the spirit of Gotrek, remaining shackled to him even in these strange, mythical times. 

For Felix I was thinking of using either the general or paladin warscroll. Gotrek'd be an unforged. They were last painted during my high school years, and it's been about nine or ten years since. Thinking of giving Felix a bit of a grimdark look (not too sure how to go about it), while making Gotrek into some fire ghost. 

image.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived