Tomb kings in AOS and WH Visions, not a rant I promise, ideas welcome

ShamelessTub

Have been building as a very slow burn project a TK army over the last 5 years or so, have never got it to the table to play, always sat on the workbench, you know how it is.

My plan was to use my favourite models in the WH/AOS range, the big dinos from the Lizardmen range as mounts, counts as Sphinx's, sort of themed via the shields as like a brotherhood of the lizard.

Well G Dub put pay to the that one, or have they, did anyone notice in this months Visions a TK showcase, kind of a mixed message from the GW mothership. You could say that they have killed the TK, and by the the way they cleared all the stock, I would agree. Some say no-one has taken away the rules you already own, but it does seem they have been allowed to die.

I am fortunate in that I haven't glued the shields on so as I'm rebasing anyway it would be easy enough to re-theme the majority of the models as a skele horde to use as VK, add a couple of vampires and make the switch at little cost.

A shame though as I had such a cool vision I've been working towards for the last few years and cant now see how I could work the dinos into a VK force, any ideas?

Do we think events will be supporting TK into the future, SCGT, Clash and most importantly for me Blacksun events. Unfortunately, I could fiish it off for Chris's event in august, otherwise I'd need to start something from prcatically scratch, and i dont want to spend anymore if it is obsolete come christmas.

GW have confirmed that the Generals Handbook will include all the scrolls including Tomb Kings so they are being supported in that sense. Just go for it. What gies around, comes around. If you like the models there will always be a place for them.a

I didn't realise that, I guess if it gets in the Generals Book, that should secure their future for this edition anyhow, even if they do lag a little behind (or ahead) as the meta changes around them. It was a cool modelling project rather than a top tier gaming tourney winning army anyway.

Whilst I was someone who originally thought more of an "out with the old, in with the new" approach would have been better (well, cleaner, I guess), I now kinda think it doesn't really matter too much. With the General's Handbook offering costings for things like TK's etc I can't see that they will be excluded from any events.

As it stands currently, my event (Rain of Stars) is using Clash comp, which again does not exclude any warscrolls (unless I'm grossly mistaken). The hang up comes from this "legacy" term used within the SCGT pack this year. But this is by no means a catch all across all events.

The thing that bother me more than Tomb Kings etc (ie stuff that has been removed from sale, but not replaced with new scrolls) is stuff that has multiple scrolls across the various publications. Now that is messy!

So in short, probably just go for it, sounds cool...though I understand your apprehension!

2 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Whilst I was someone who originally thought more of an "out with the old, in with the new" approach would have been better (well, cleaner, I guess), I now kinda think it doesn't really matter too much. [...] So in short, probably just go for it, sounds cool...though I understand your apprehension!

Glad you're onboard the "legacy" train, Chris!

I agree though, AoS is an inclusive game which allows you to play with your models in a variety of different ways. Just go with whatever you like, and make sure you explain to your opponent which flavour of which unit you're using if it appears in multiple sources. I'm sure you won't have any issues.

It's not so much that I'm on the "legacy" train now, more that I've just come to realise its not really a thing and not really worth worrying about I guess :)

As I say, the thing I really don't like is the multiple scrolls for the same unit. Its messy and lazy IMO.

As long as people use a single set of rules consistently (Compendium, GA:Death, Battletome), it's not a huge issue. Messy, sure. Either that, or enforce the "only newest scrolls in tournaments" rule. Cuts out some old synergies, but the armies are still around.

With TK being included in the General's Handbook I'm pretty sure the majority of tournaments and such will allow them. The main issue, like Chris said, is when you start mixing units that have multiple version of warscrolls. TK don't fall in that boat since all of our stuff is from one source. Flesh Eaters and a lot of the Order stuff runs into some messy situations though, but is fine if you stick to being consistent with where you pull your units from.

Archived