Stormcast - "White Gold" Scheme - Advice Needed!

Hi all, I've been wanting to do a "Whiter Gold" colour scheme to mirror Tyrael from Diablo for a while now

Luckily, Chris Clayton did a similar scheme for golden demon - not been able to see any blog / twitter posts from him on how he did it so anyone have any ideas on how I can achieve this scheme?

Much appreciated

whfest17_cat06_en490-details2.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop=1&ssl=1

You know its weird, I knew a guy who bought one of those cheap gold spray paints from a hardware store. It gave a similar overly golden look to his models. Though this winning a Golden Demon probably implies a bit more work than that. I'm guessing here he spent a lot of time actually doing a true metallic technique for the gold.

Either way I agree his gold is insanely good and intriguing.

It looks like a move to bright silver with dark shadows and with limited yellow glazing . (Very very very thin yellow)

At least thats what I might try if I was attempting to replicate it. Perhaps using a gold metallic Glaze. Or the golden griffin drypaint over silver?

On his Facebook page :

"My main intention was to provide a juxtaposition between the elaborate armour and the sinuous, feathered beast. I wanted the riders to be clad in a rich antique gold armour and experimented with many, many different paint finishes in order to find just the right look. Unfortunately most metallic paints, especially gold, are quite grainy and I desired a highly polished metallic surface. After an exhaustive period of ‘R&D’ I created a hybrid lacquer based ‘buffable’ paint that I added various quantities of 22ct gold gilders powder to. This gave me all the advantages of a super smooth quick drying lacquer and the superb metallic properties of a buffable paint. With the addition of the 22ct gold, when the paint was finally burnished, the bright gold reflective surface was revealed. I could then work back over the armour with various inks to bring out the edges and tiny details and also modulate the surfaces of the armour panels and give them a little more definition and depth. Inks were also used to create the anodised blue pauldrons and as a spot colour on other anodised decorative elements of the armour."

https://www.facebook.com/chrisclaytonideefixe/

Archived