Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A few months ago I've started collecting and playing Age of Sigmar with my brother and my girlfriend. I wanted to pick up Stormcast Eternals because I really like the aesthetics of this army. I got the Stormcast Eternals half of the Age of Sigmar starter set, and from that point I bought Knight Venator, Celestant Prime, Judicators, Start Collecting! Stormcast Eternals, Lord Castellant and Paladin Protectors. I really liked the Pitched Battle mode, so I've set my eyes on the tournament scene and would like to slowly get into playing in the torunaments.

At the moment my 2000 point roster looks like this:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Heroes

• Lord-Celestant (100) General, Command Trait: Staunch Defender, Artefact: Mirrorshield
  • Lord-Castellant (100) Mystic Light: Lantern of the Tempest
  • Lord-Relictor (80) Prayer: Lightning Chariot
  • Knight Venator (120)
  • Celestant Prime (360)

Units

• 5x Liberators (100) Warhammer & Shield, 1x Grandblade
  • 5x Liberators (100) Warhammer & Shield, 1x Grandblade
  • 5x Liberators (100) Warhammer & Shield, 1x Grandhammer
  • 5x Judicators (160) Skybolt Bow, 1x Shockbolt Bow
  • 3x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (80) 1x Stormsurge Trident
  • Paladin Protectors (200)
  • Paladin Retributors (220)

Batallions

• Hammerstrike Force (120)

2000/2000 points

I checked the rules regarding the Hammerstrike Force, and as far as I can see you have to set the Paladins within 6" of the Prosecutors. If my logic is right then setting up Prosecutors and the Lord Celestant in the Celestial Realm (due to Scions of the Storm), placing them within 9" of the enemy and then deploying the Paladins within 3" of a priority target as long as they are within 6" of the prosecutors should work, right? 

I was wondering about the viability of the list in terms of tournament play. In my mind that would work, but then again I played only 1000-1500 point games against Sylvaneth and Blades of Khorne so far. 

What would be the next steps for expanding my collection of miniatures and getting more versatility in Pitched Battles? I was thinking about getting Fulminators with a Heraldor, or maybe a Stardrake. 

You certainly have the makings of a good list, if a little straight forward.  Here are some suggestions, but as always, play with what you like! 

1) Lose a unit of liberators, or even better lose 2.  You don't need 5 units of battleline, especially if you aren't taking skyborne slayers.

2) The celestant prime is overcosted based on the number of turns you need to keep him off the battlefield to be a destructive force. Remove him.  

That opens up 560 points to mess around with.  Doubling your protectors and retributors makes that hammerstrike primed to destroy one flank of your opponents army.  It uses 420 of the 560 points we opened up.  (Buy two boxes of paladins).

3) I don't like the Knight Venator myself, so I'd use some of those extra points and swap him for a Lord Celestant on Dracoth or even a unit of Fulminators.  Magnetize the weapons in case you'd prefer Tempestors or Concussors.   Or you could just add a Knight Heraldor or Lord Veritant and keep the venator for an objective grabber.

On your strategy - remember that your Lord Celestant on Foot can't use his command ability while set up in the celestial realm, so you wouldn't get the +1 to hit bonus until your second turn.  And remember that dropping in using scions of the storm is not guaranteed.  You might have the prosecutors come down without the Lord Celestant, or the other way around.  Better plan is to put the prosecutors in the ceslestial realm and the celestant next to the relictor on the board, so he can use his command ability the first turn.  Roll for the prosecutors first, then use lightning chariot on the lord Celestant if the prosecutors come in.  A second priest (lord veritant?) is useful for a backup lightning chariot in case the first fails. 

Lastly, you want to try and minimize your drops to pick who goes first.  If you are using hammerstrike force, celestial vindicators does the trick for 80 points and gets you an extra artefact.  For your consideration:

List:

Heroes

• Lord-Celestant (100) General, Command Trait: Staunch Defender, Artefact: Mirrorshield
  • Lord Veritant (120) Prayer, Lightning Chariot  Mystic Light: Lantern of the Tempest

Units

• 2x Paladin Protectors (400) (split into 2 units for Celestial Vindicator requirement)
  • 2x Paladin Retributors (440)
  • Gryph Hound (40)

Batallions

• Celestial Vindicators (80)

1980/2000 points

• Like 1

Go with the rule of cool.  Just buy whatever you think looks cool

Thanks a lot for the replies. I will certainly buy whatever I think looks cool, I'm thinking about buying Lord Celestant on Stardrake and painting him kind of like Archaon's Dorghar. Black skin with Rakarth Flesh belly, plus Rakarth Flesh membrane on the wings, darkened with Agrax Eartshade (shoutout to Duncan Rhodes for the Archaon tutorial B|). Honestly though, I didn't think about Lord Veritant, he seems very situational to me. As in, how much of a use do I get from him if I don't face any wizards? But then again, how many armies apart from SCE and pure Khorne have no wizards at all? xD

9 hours ago, Goddin said:

[...]

List:

Heroes

• Lord Veritant (120) Prayer, Lightning Chariot  Mystic Light: Lantern of the Tempest

Units

• 2x Paladin Protectors (400) (split into 2 units for Celestial Vindicator requirement)
  • 2x Paladin Retributors (440)
  • Gryph Hound (40)

Batallions

• Celestial Vindicators (80)

1980/2000 points

I like it a lot. Honestly, I didn't think about the big battalions, but I guess I was discouraged at first after reading about Hammers of Sigmar (that's the way I have my army painted).  And to be honest, yes I know it's  stupid, I didn't think about any other, because I'd feel compelled to change my colour scheme. But I think I will live through this somehow.

At the moment, thanks to some various second hand purchases I've done I've got an additional unit of Retributors. I'd like to give Celestial Vindicators a go, so what I figured out is:

-Knight Venator

-10xLiberators

= -320 points,

+5x Retributors

+Celestial Vindicators

=+280 points.

I'm not overly fond of the idea to let go of Celestant Prime, because I really like the idea of this badass coming down from the heavens to kick gum and chew ass (or was it the other way around?). And I think having something this powerful to send down in turn 3 anywhere on the battlefield is pretty good, when it comes to focusing squishy targets in the backline. Especially since Celestant Prime has practically guaranteed charge thanks to Orrery of Celestial Fates. So I thought I'd get rid of Liberators and throw in my remaining Retributors. So now I'm left with 40 points to spare. Now there are a  few questions in my head:

1. Is it worth it to get a gryph hound? Or should I just roll on the triumph table?
  2. If I understand correctly, Bonds of Hatred from the Battalion's warscroll allows me to basically teleport right up enemy's face, because I set up my Prosecutors from the Celestial Realm within 9" but I can drop my Hammertimes within 12"?
  3. Will I be looked down upon if I show up to a tournament with Celestial Vindicators wearing Hammers of Sigmar Jerseys?
  4. If I buy a box of paladins to turn them into protectors, should I build any Starsoul Maces? Are they worth taking? I don't like the idea of them being taken on Decimators, because you shouldn't be attacking a single target with them anyway. I also think that the maces lower the damage output of Retributors.

Anyways, thanks so much for advice, looking forward to further discussion :)

Edited by Mandøs

All i can say is that the Celestant Prime is a big waste of Points. He Looks very good but thats it. Hes dead in one turn and not worth 360 Points.
I hope they reduce his costs in ghb 2. For 280 Points he would be worth it maybe 300, but not more. Even the new Vandus Hammerhand for 280 Points would fit better in your list.(+1 Attack for all your Paladins) Vandus has 3(+1 from his ability) + d3 Attacks on Charge with dmg 3 (2+/3+). So if you Charge you get an average of 6 Attacks with dmg 3 for 280 Points and all your allies get +1 Attack too. and his Dracoth attacks too with 4 attacks.He can also shoot with his Storm Breath.
Vandus(280points) > Celestant Prime(360points) !!

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Like 1

I really like your list, it's not far off something I've been using. Although I agree with what people are saying about the Prime, rule of cool definitely applies and I feel it has the enemy fear factor which people take for granted.

My only suggesting would be to remove 2 of the Liberator units as mentioned. I would then either add another 200 points of Paladins or maybe another unit of Judicators and give your Castellant a Gryph Hound? (I'm not sure if the loyal companion hound costs points, but i would think he does.) Also, I love the Venator, but I really feel he benefits from a Luckstone. Really allows you to make that Star Fated Arrow worth something. Just have to decide who you take the artefact off.

My plan atm is getting rid of Liberators and Venator to fit in Celestial vindicators. Obviously things might change in ghb2, but I think that if anything SCE will get a buff.

3 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

All i can say is that the Celestant Prime is a big waste of Points. He Looks very good but thats it. Hes dead in one turn and not worth 360 Points.
I hope they reduce his costs in ghb 2. For 280 Points he would be worth it maybe 300, but not more. Even the new Vandus Hammerhand for 280 Points would fit better in your list.(+1 Attack for all your Paladins) Vandus has 3(+1 from his ability) + d3 Attacks on Charge with dmg 3 (2+/3+). So if you Charge you get an average of 6 Attacks with dmg 3 for 280 Points and all your allies get +1 Attack too. and his Dracoth attacks too with 4 attacks.He can also shoot with his Storm Breath.
Vandus(280points) > Celestant Prime(360points) !!

The Prime is so cool but way too high in point value.  Although after charging him up for several turns it was enjoyable to see him erase a great unclean one in a single combat phase.

Addressing your question about the Gryph-Hound:

The Gryphhound costs points.  He's useful to set up near your archers so that if someone tries a deep strike, you get a free shot at them.  He does 40pts worth of attacks if he's near a Castellant OR a Veritant.  I like him in the list I had because I have one Lantern of the Tempest back with my archers and one up with the paladins in the Hammerstrike Force.  I also have 2 priests so I can Lightning Chariot one of the lanterns up to protect the paladins.  

IMO, he's worth it.  He is very situational, but then so is the triumph you roll for.

I have a stardrake and a celestent-prime painted and they both look awesome.  I rarely use either, because I like my list (which is not far from the celestial vindicator list I linked - I use a LCOD , Lord Celestant, and Veritant as my hero core and often use the general ability which lets both use command abilities rather than staunch defender).  But I do look think they scare the heck out of my opponents and I wish I had a chance to use them more.

Regarding the Celestial Vindicators vs Hammers of Sigmar question:

I've never had anyone close to care.  My army is painted silver with teal details, closest to the "Raidant Sons of Simgar" in the book but it was homebrew before there was any real lore set up.  I run the Celestial Vindicator battalion all the time.  My scene is not super competetive, and even at tournaments hardly anyone has known that Celestial Vindicators are normally teal with white details.  Those who did know, again, did not care in the slightest.  

Regarding Starsoul Maces and Protectors:

If you want to be competitive, yes, bring starsouls.

Edited by Goddin

1 hour ago, Mandøs said:

Why are the starsoul maces better than hammers?

Because 1D3 mortal wounds without any other roll is absolute murder.

• It bypass armor,
  • It bypass -1 to hit.
  • It bypass bad luck
  • It deals a MINIMUM dammage, where every other weapons of the game have a minimum of zero dammage dealt. Here you will always deal 1 gammage at least.

Face a 2+ rerollable armor and see your hammers bounce, bring your Starsoul maces and the ennemy die with a wave of hand.

Ok I kind of forgot about that scenario. I always think about dealing damage to 4+ saves xD

Aren't those maces kinda weird having a 1" range when the rest of the unit has 3"? Aren't there ever awkward or wasteful situations - position-wise?

6 hours ago, Roark said:

Aren't those maces kinda weird having a 1" range when the rest of the unit has 3"? Aren't there ever awkward or wasteful situations - position-wise?

Not really, you lead with the maces, and put the 3" range behind them to get more attacks in.  Then start putting wounds on the models in the back and work your way towards the maces.

• Like 1

Not having the maces makes the protectors better against hordes or things like Khorgoraths. You can even put the liberators in front and attack with protectors from the second line. But its true that you often bump into iriritating things like 2+ save Treelord Ancient with rerollable 1s... i suppose the starsouls would be good there xD

For Protectors, you always want the maces, as they will outperform the glaives (even against Monsters) on anything with a 5+ save or better. The only real considerations are the lower range, which can be important if you stack them behind another unit for a counter-pile; or if you can reliably buff the wound rolls against Monsters. 

• Like 1