2k Skaven vs Mixed Death Battle Report

Dead_Ghost

So a loosely tied together battle report here for the first match I've played with my Skaven. 

You can find my army list here, but safe to say it's the typical Verminus Clawpack list. I played against @Ademo's death army with the following key units, 

• 40 skeletons
  • 2 morghasts
  • vamp on zombie dragon 
  • 6 spirit hosts

We played border war [ghoul patrol!], and I was given the first turn.

Turn 1

Pimped out my 30 man stormvermin and sent them to the right-hand objective using sayl's traitor's mist. pushed two units of 10 clanrats towards the left-hand objective. The 30 unit so clan rats stayed put on my home objective - got the five points right off the bat. 

In response, morghasts and black knights advanced towards my two 10 man clanrats on the left and the unit of six Spirit hosts advanced towards and then charged my storm vermin on the right, and here's where it goes downhill. :S

They manage to kill 12 storm vermin in the first round of combat, mainly with their 6's to hit mortal wound spam and the re-rolls to hit with the dread something command ability - The death frenzy I placed on the stormvermin, coupled with the gnash-gnaw meant those dead guys could throw back with 36 attacks - I managed to cause three wounds. [3+ save (mystic shield), ignoring rend, and a 5+ death save (close to vamp on dragon) is a hard thing to get through]

In response, I attacked with the rest of the unit and killed another base and some wounds, before an unlucky bravery role left me with 14 storm vermin. 

Turn 2

@Ademo won the roll into turn two for the double turn. The two 10 man clan rats got into combat with black knights and morghasts respectively - the black knights and one of the 10 man clan rats unit, spent the rest of the game just tapping each other. The morghasts flunked combat and only killed a couple of clan rats. 

Combat this round saw the rest of my storm vermin wiped out, but not before I managed to reduce them to two of the 6 bases.

In my turn 2, I charged the spirits with my Verminlord and flew the stormfiends across the board with Traitor's Mist, where they managed to inflict 10 wounds on the vampire lord with their warpfire projectors. The verminlord dicked the remaining spirit hosts. The clanrat left flank was still static, though the warpfire and ratling gun with the two 10 man clanrats did some number of wounds to the morghasts, killing one. 

Turn 3

I won the roll to get the double turn into turn three, though lacked anything specific to capitalise on. The verminlord continued up the right into some graveguard, the stormfiends tried valiantly to ****** the vampire lord in combat but lost. the 30 man clanrats faced off against the 40 unit of skeletons in the middle, and the left flank saw more black knights and clanrats playing spoons in the corner.

@Ademo's turn 3 saw the 40 skeleton unit descend upon the 30 clanrats. 90 attacks, hitting on 3's, with a double pile in and attack on account of van hels is a good way to remove a large unit from the board. Without the stormvermin on the right flank, the verminlord was overrun (irony?) and my right flank collapsed. the left flank still did nothing, the 40 unit of skeletons managed to tag my home objective. 

At this point, it wasn't possible for me to win the game through objective points, so we finished turn four and called it a day. But well done to @Ademo for a game well played!

Lessons learned? 

• Flying, warpfire projecting, stormfiends are the bomb
  • Stormvermin aren't good against ghosts
  • I need some range (warp lightning cannon?) to kill vamp lords on dragons (or kill undead heroes in general)

I think a combination of not focussing a lot of my attention on the death heroes (coupled with their placement) meant I really suffered to the buffs they can deal out to their units. I need to use my 10 man clanrats as more of screen than as separate unit. Great game, looking forward to the next. 

8 hours ago, Dead_Ghost said:

So a loosely tied together battle report here for the first match I've played with my Skaven. 

You can find my army list here, but safe to say it's the typical Verminus Clawpack list. I played against @Ademo's death army with the following key units, 

• 40 skeletons
  • 2 morghasts
  • vamp on zombie dragon 
  • 6 spirit hosts

We played border war [ghoul patrol!], and I was given the first turn.

Turn 1

Pimped out my 30 man stormvermin and sent them to the right-hand objective using sayl's traitor's mist. pushed two units of 10 clanrats towards the left-hand objective. The 30 unit so clan rats stayed put on my home objective - got the five points right off the bat. 

In response, morghasts and black knights advanced towards my two 10 man clanrats on the left and the unit of six Spirit hosts advanced towards and then charged my storm vermin on the right, and here's where it goes downhill. :S

They manage to kill 12 storm vermin in the first round of combat, mainly with their 6's to hit mortal wound spam and the re-rolls to hit with the dread something command ability - The death frenzy I placed on the stormvermin, coupled with the gnash-gnaw meant those dead guys could throw back with 36 attacks - I managed to cause three wounds. [3+ save (mystic shield), ignoring rend, and a 5+ death save (close to vamp on dragon) is a hard thing to get through]

In response, I attacked with the rest of the unit and killed another base and some wounds, before an unlucky bravery role left me with 14 storm vermin. 

Turn 2

@Ademo won the roll into turn two for the double turn. The two 10 man clan rats got into combat with black knights and morghasts respectively - the black knights and one of the 10 man clan rats unit, spent the rest of the game just tapping each other. The morghasts flunked combat and only killed a couple of clan rats. 

Combat this round saw the rest of my storm vermin wiped out, but not before I managed to reduce them to two of the 6 bases.

In my turn 2, I charged the spirits with my Verminlord and flew the stormfiends across the board with Traitor's Mist, where they managed to inflict 10 wounds on the vampire lord with their warpfire projectors. The verminlord dicked the remaining spirit hosts. The clanrat left flank was still static, though the warpfire and ratling gun with the two 10 man clanrats did some number of wounds to the morghasts, killing one. 

Turn 3

I won the roll to get the double turn into turn three, though lacked anything specific to capitalise on. The verminlord continued up the right into some graveguard, the stormfiends tried valiantly to ****** the vampire lord in combat but lost. the 30 man clanrats faced off against the 40 unit of skeletons in the middle, and the left flank saw more black knights and clanrats playing spoons in the corner.

@Ademo's turn 3 saw the 40 skeleton unit descend upon the 30 clanrats. 90 attacks, hitting on 3's, with a double pile in and attack on account of van hels is a good way to remove a large unit from the board. Without the stormvermin on the right flank, the verminlord was overrun (irony?) and my right flank collapsed. the left flank still did nothing, the 40 unit of skeletons managed to tag my home objective. 

At this point, it wasn't possible for me to win the game through objective points, so we finished turn four and called it a day. But well done to @Ademo for a game well played!

Lessons learned? 

• Flying, warpfire projecting, stormfiends are the bomb
  • Stormvermin aren't good against ghosts
  • I need some range (warp lightning cannon?) to kill vamp lords on dragons (or kill undead heroes in general)

I think a combination of not focussing a lot of my attention on the death heroes (coupled with their placement) meant I really suffered to the buffs they can deal out to their units. I need to use my 10 man clanrats as more of screen than as separate unit. Great game, looking forward to the next. 

Interesting game. I play a predominantly Eshin themed army (as the name would suggest) and came across the same problem with range 

I experimented with 2 warp lightning cannons but they're inconsistent to say the least. I instead settled with a unit of 9 Jezzails and haven't looked back since (Thank you Lord of War) 

Skaven are very much an early game scoring army, I'd try and fit a chieftain with banner in there if you can as it compliments the Verminus Clawpack very well and Stormvermin in particular with re-roll 1's are very strong and not running away 

I personally don't like Sayl-Fiends as I think they're a bit cheap and anyone who understands threat ranges can stop it pretty easy and then your 300 points of stormfiends get chopped to death unless you get a double turn 

Tough matchup, Stormvermin vs the Spirit Hosts. I think it may have worked better if you had pushed both 10 man units on either side objective, and kept the main bulk of your force in the center as a counter charge as well as a way to move right up the center to your opponents home objective. Also, you need some Immunity to Battleshock in there. Think about the Crown of Command artifact.

Warplightning Cannons are so good. You need to play more than one game with them to see. Dealing direct mortal wounds without having to roll to hit is pretty great (it's just rolling to wound). If you roll a 1, it's all autohit.

14 hours ago, Deathmaster Snikch said:

I experimented with 2 warp lightning cannons but they're inconsistent to say the least. I instead settled with a unit of 9 Jezzails and haven't looked back since (Thank you Lord of War) 

I definitely have no issues with the cannon but I agree on the jezzails. Great threat range, I think I've only walked them once ever. And with only three and re-rolling ones you are already a threat to all 5 wound heroes. I only converted three so far (they are so expensive) but more will be on their way. 

IMG_9948.JPG.85274b1a3ac159ecd1bf6d7ac47751a3.JPG

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

I only converted three so far (they are so expensive) but more will be on their way. 

I managed to find a WLCannon on ebay for a very good price, so picked one up yesterday - but agree with you over just how pricey those jezzails are. crazy money - even crazier when you see folks on eBay paying more than the GW cost! :o

The chance for those automatic mortals from the cannon is hard to resist, but the chance to snipe from turn 1 with the jezzails is tempting. Pretty relaxed gaming group, so will likely do some play testing with both and see what happens.  

Good work on the conversions - the skitarii rangers kit has some suitable looking long guns - might have a punt at my own. 

15 hours ago, Dez said:

it may have worked better if you had pushed both 10 man units on either side objective, and kept the main bulk of your force in the center as a counter charge

I think you're right there. Especially as my aim was initially just to get the drop on those objectives for the early victory points - a job more befitting of a lowly clanrat. Instead of forcing my opponent to prioritise his movement, I put them out there for the killing. A lesson painfully learned.

15 hours ago, Deathmaster Snikch said:

I'd try and fit a chieftain with banner in there if you can

I kept looking at his profile and thinking it would be a very nice addition... especially, like you say, for the stormvermin. certainly something i'm heavily considering going forward. 

Thanks for the feedback all. 

16 hours ago, Dez said:

Tough matchup, Stormvermin vs the Spirit Hosts. I think it may have worked better if you had pushed both 10 man units on either side objective, and kept the main bulk of your force in the center as a counter charge as well as a way to move right up the center to your opponents home objective. Also, you need some Immunity to Battleshock in there. Think about the Crown of Command artifact.

Warplightning Cannons are so good. You need to play more than one game with them to see. Dealing direct mortal wounds without having to roll to hit is pretty great (it's just rolling to wound). If you roll a 1, it's all autohit.

With Warp Lightning cannons, rolling a power dice of 1 does not mean all are auto hit. Rule of one says 1s always fail. So if you roll a 1, you still have to roll 2s on the 6 dice roll. That's my understanding, at least. Would you agree @Dez?

I tend to agree with @Nico. The rule states that the first dice determines the power level. Then role 6 dice every one that equals or beats the power dice causes a mortal wound.

the whole rule is written in such a way I interpret it as they are meant as a separate system to the normal to hit and to wound sequence.  And as such the 1's to hit always miss doesn't apply. But it is an interesting question @Flood.

3 hours ago, Dead_Ghost said:

Good work on the conversions - the skitarii rangers kit has some suitable looking long guns - might have a punt at my own. 

Thanks! quite happy how they turned out. Didn't spend an extra penny and the motley look of the unit quite fits the whole rickety look of the army. And it was a great excuse to clean up the bits box a bit ;)

6 hours ago, Flood said:

With Warp Lightning cannons, rolling a power dice of 1 does not mean all are auto hit. Rule of one says 1s always fail. So if you roll a 1, you still have to roll 2s on the 6 dice roll. That's my understanding, at least. Would you agree @Dez?

Nico has the right of it, sorry I used poor terminology there.

On 29/06/2017 at 4:31 PM, Kramer said:

I definitely have no issues with the cannon but I agree on the jezzails. Great threat range, I think I've only walked them once ever. And with only three and re-rolling ones you are already a threat to all 5 wound heroes. I only converted three so far (they are so expensive) but more will be on their way. 

IMG_9948.JPG.85274b1a3ac159ecd1bf6d7ac47751a3.JPG

They look rad!

I converted mine too using plague monks for the shooter, slave models for the shield holder and Skitari parts for the guns. Shields weren't as creative as yours, I just stacked clanrat shields! 

I move mine all the time! If you're within 13 of a banner they can still reroll 1's! I only don't move them if they're likely to get shot and I need the extra armour save or I'm already in range and can't get hit back 

On 30/06/2017 at 1:27 AM, Dez said:

Nico has the right of it, sorry I used poor terminology there.

Nope, a 1 is 6 mortal wounds, it's not a hit roll so rule of 1 doesn't apply, it's what you need to cause mortal wounds, you're not rolling any hit or wound rolls, you're essentially rolling damage

Archived