General's Handbook 2017 Announced

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/06/26/generals-handbook-2017-june26gw-homepage-post-3/

For open play, the multiplayer rules have been massively expanded, and now include Triumph & Treachery – devious rules for mid-game betrayals.

Narrative players are about to get really spoilt. With Path to Glory soon to become its own stand-alone expansion, this section has been freed up for a huge amount of new content in the 2017 edition. Highlights include rules for siege warfare in the Mortal Realms and Time of War battlefield rules for locations in every realm (even the one’s we haven’t been to yet!).

Matched play is set to get plenty of updates too. These include new Battleplans, new rules of one, and updated points for units in every faction in the Mortal Realms.

Perhaps most excitingly of all are the new Allegiance Abilities. These are much expanded from those four Grand Alliance army-traits from the previous General’s Handbook. The new book will cover Allegiance Abilities for the likes of Fyreslayers, seraphon, Slaaneshi hosts, Nighthaunts and over a dozen others.

Tah-dah!  It's coming soon!  New points updates from Matched Play, Siege Warfare for Narrative Play (cool!) and expanded Allegiance Abilities for the armies lacking a new Battletome.

I hope Dispossessed get their own Alleigance Abilities.  If that is the case, I will just take a complete break from 40K for AoS.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet! Siege rules sound fun, although I'm most excited about the rules for playing in each realm. I had a question, was it ever confirmed somewhwre that the compendium warscrolls are going away? Did I just miss that somewhere? Should be a great book looking forward to it.

7 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

It sounds better than what I dared to wish for. Allegiance abilities for my Hosts of Slaanehs and Seraphon, siege, triumph and treachery, good times! Also interesting to see what are the new rules of one.

Probably making it apply to prayers as well to prevent stacking them, that's a given.

I had really hoped for a rework of the rules to incorporate many of the things from 40k, but it seems they really want the hard delineated line between "easy" (AOS), "moderate" (40k) and "complex" (30k) rules.  Which unfortunately doesn't help AOS a lot if it gets the perception as the "entry level" or "beginner" game.

Sounds great!  Looking forward to the new narrative stuff.

Sounds like Times of war for the different realms which I love using. Although I hope it's not a sign they are moving away from Campaign books

With slaaneshi hosts! And Siege! And a separate PtG booklet! I think I might love this new GW... unless they increase the points on my favorite unit of course. Then i'll just ****** and moan ;) 

But seriously such a good strategy and execution by GW. 

5 minutes ago, wayniac said:

Probably making it apply to prayers as well to prevent stacking them, that's a given.

I had really hoped for a rework of the rules to incorporate many of the things from 40k, but it seems they really want the hard delineated line between "easy" (AOS), "moderate" (40k) and "complex" (30k) rules.  Which unfortunately doesn't help AOS a lot if it gets the perception as the "entry level" or "beginner" game.

Every game-developer should have clear the level of complexity they want to their games. Being a more "simple" game isn't anything to be ashamed of. AoS is what it is, wishing it to become 40k is as bad as people wishing 40k 7th to become AoS. Every game should be is own thing.

I remember how in the past, Fantasy was the "hardcore" game where Rogue Trader was the more casual one. Now things have switched, theres nothing bad about it. 

A rule of one increasing the requirement to get within 1" of enemy while charging, instead of 1/2" (thus causing double 1 to never fail in charge if you're within 3" of enemy) would be the only tule from 40k I would Really want. I don't think there is a big difference kn complexity outside army building between the "warhammers".

25 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

A rule of one increasing the requirement to get within 1" of enemy while charging, instead of 1/2" (thus causing double 1 to never fail in charge if you're within 3" of enemy) would be the only tule from 40k I would Really want. I don't think there is a big difference kn complexity outside army building between the "warhammers".

In 40k though you can stop at 1" from an enemy I thought and that's why double 1s never fails, and honestly I like how it works in AOS better because there's always that chance you'll fail; you can't guarantee that you can charge.

14 minutes ago, wayniac said:

In 40k though you can stop at 1" from an enemy I thought and that's why double 1s never fails, and honestly I like how it works in AOS better because there's always that chance you'll fail; you can't guarantee that you can charge.

Yes, but similar effect. But maybe this is not the right place for that as there is a separate topic about that. Sorry everyone.

Really eager to see this. Lately I've fallen completely out of AoS, as has my local group. The game is essentially solved from a competitive aspect right now which is extremely boring.

I think the new rule of one will be buffs, pretty obvious with Kharadron. I'm hoping Matched Play either also loses Initiative, or guns are gutted completely. Otherwise guns will continue to rule the game unless they're priced out of use, which would be a worse option imho.

GW is flying high right now, I really hope they pick up AoS since it is hurting in my area, state-wide. Obviously it will always be second fiddle to 40K but it can have a place if it's treated well.

19 hours ago, wayniac said:

I had really hoped for a rework of the rules to incorporate many of the things from 40k,

Soooo glad this isn't happening.  I really don't want battletomes that are a year or so old to be invalidated, and reworks to core gameplay would do that.  I pray that we don't get a 2nd edition,  in effect, for several more years.

That said, the most exciting thing for me in the announcement is the overtly stated commitment to an annually updated publication. That eases a tonnnnnn of concerns.

The points are likely to be drastic. I expect Arrowboys to be 120, minimum, per 10 and Snowballs to be at least 400pts. These are good things mind you but if every premium unit isn't hit HARD then I'll lose faith in GW's balancing ability. Which would bode poorly for 40K as well. They have plenty of results to go on.

I am worried that SCE will be untouched and the game will revolve just around Aetherstrike since all of the things that can beat it will be touched. So hoping that they nerf shooting period as well.

the lack of core rules sound good, as it is really only the units that break the game, not the rules themselves, so as long as the powerful units get a price hike, or unit cap in the case of skyfires then  I think the game will still be good. 

Archived