Holidays / Summer vacation

Patrick

With the summer holidays fast approaching I was wondering: if you go on a holiday vacation, do you take any models and paint with you? 

I never have (didn't cross my  mind tbh), but why not? I can see myself painting in a nice Spanish holiday home with a beer or two ^_^ (i'm from the Netherlands btw).

What about you guys? And if you do take AOS stuff with you.. what do you take?

In all honesty I don't often go away like that!  My holidays tend to consist of a week home doing modelling or a long weekend away at WHW ;)  Depending upon the type of holiday I was going on would depend on if I took any models though - a chilled holiday where I wasn't like to do much I'd probably take a few bits (likely more assembly than painting though).

Usually, I am just excited that I have a day or two off from work and can sleep in for a bit.  We aren't that big on travel in my family, tending to stay local for anything that we might take the kids to.  That said, my wife and I want to take the family to (in no particular order): Blizzcon, Disney World, and Warhammer World.  We live in the USA, so the Warhammer World one would be difficult from a logistics perspective, but it's on our list of dream family vacations.

Of course, we have to be able to afford it first... :)

7 hours ago, Gotrek said:

I know not of this "vacation/holiday" of which you speak. The most ive ever done is 4 days away from work. America, land of the enslaved home of the overworked and underpaid

Hi Gotrek,

just move out, no need at all to stay in the US: there are a lot of other places/countries all over the world where you can have a very decent work-life balance, and also be able to play AOS.

My wife is American (I'm from the UK) and it was crazy hearing the amount of holiday time people get in America compared to Europe...grim tbh lol. Although I heard you get more the longer you are employed at a place. 

I personally wouldn't take models with me on a holiday used in the op's example. I haven't been away from the UK for a good 6 years but I did alot of traveling at one point and between alcohol, food and site seeing there is no way I would dedicate the time to it lol. 

Not on holiday (that's family time) but since I travel for work I do take stuff on a small case that fits in the luggage to spend all those boring hotel hours.

I take a single brush and maybe 4-5 colours tops, great to top off the last details out of a nearly finished regiment.

Sadly hotel lighting tends to be ****** for the most part.

Summer though is the time for crazy games like 3v3v3 with some nice backstory, or a character development campaign. Most people work reduced hours so you can sneak some games during the workweek instead of just on weekends.

8 hours ago, chord said:

I need to stop reading this thread, making me jealous

:/

Same here -_-

23 hours ago, Gotrek said:

I know not of this "vacation/holiday" of which you speak. The most ive ever done is 4 days away from work. America, land of the enslaved home of the overworked and underpaid

Ain't that the truth!

15 hours ago, Alcina said:

Hi Gotrek,

just move out, no need at all to stay in the US: there are a lot of other places/countries all over the world where you can have a very decent work-life balance, and also be able to play AOS.

Unfortunately, they keep us down enough that only well to do can move out of the US. Us poor wage slaves will remain chained to the US. :(

15 hours ago, Alcina said:

Hi Gotrek,

Wish i could. Currently, my bills (not counting food and fuel) come out to $2200 a month, my monthly income (working 53 hours a week on night shift for extra pay) is $2800 a month. So just to get a Passport and a plane ticket ill be eating nothing but ramen for half a year and basically be in the UK (which is where I'd go) sleeping on the sidewalk putting in applications everywhere.

I have! We take our rv camping trailer and do lots of camping throughout the spring, summer and into fall months. Plus, I own a private personal campground so if we don't travel, we can easily go for a weekend there.

I usually take models and either assemble and undercoat, paint, or make terrain. It makes for a nice relaxing time while being outdoors.

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I am aiming to take the last few Silver Tower adversaries with me for a three week trip interstate while Mrs Greyshadow completes some intensive attendance courses. I'll be looking after mini Greyshadow and hope to paint while he sleeps.

The challenging part will be making sure I bring all the hobby supplies I need and figuring out how to transport them on the plane. I understand you can have paint in your checked baggage. Hopefully it will all work out.

I have kids so any holidays are very kid orientated (that means busy to those with out children) so I don't usually have chance to paint. I would also be a bit reluctant to take my models anyway because I would be scared of breaking or damaging them in transit.

Archived