What do you use Lahmian Medium for?

Trout

Do you consider lahmian medium at least as good as water for those purposes?

Not that water is bad for thinning paint, but lahmian medium is very good.

Really large surfaces with white or very light colors is a smoother application based on my personal experience.

It's also an excellent flow enhancer for shades, especially if you're covering a surface but want it to primarily flow into the recesses.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TheOtherJosh said:

especially if you're covering a surface but want it to primarily flow into the recesses

There is another trick for this: Gloss varnish the miniature before you wash it and use a GW Gloss Wash. Awesome results will follow from that hehe.

Ive used Medium more as a clear layer over rough parts of a model to even it out. Can cover up some razor/trimming tool problems you didnt see until after priming or fingerprints in glue. Do about 4 or 5 layers and it should build up enough to paint over with no problem.

16 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Is Forge World Solution similar to Lahmian medium? It does come in a larger bottle which could be helpful. Sorry little OT but it seemed like you folks would know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's more in the direction of an airbrush thinner/cleaner combination (it's odd that they state the cleaning effect anyway). Not that good for thinning down the usual paints and you want the same effect as with lahmian Medium. 

1 hour ago, Trout said:

Do you consider lahmian medium at least as good as water for those purposes?

*puts on a more geeky hat than normal* one of the issues with water is that it's a little unpredictable.  I live in Wiltshire in the UK and our water reservoirs are all underground under the chalk downs.  On a positive it means that we've not had a hose-pipe ban since the 1980's, but it does mean that we've got very hard water.  As mad as it sounds the chalk in the water can turn the paint gritty as it starts to dry.

Some people are lucky enough to live in a soft water area (a lot of Wales is) and they don't have the same issues with chalk.

Water companies also throw in random chemicals such as chlorine & chloramine to purify water (at different points in the day) and the pipes the water travels through will deposit other chemicals into the water.  So although there's a high chance that the person in the next street should have the same water, it's not guaranteed.

To explain this slightly unhealthy knowledge of water - I keep tropical fish, so did a lot of research into what fish I could successfully keep, it's also why I installed a Reverse Osmosis unit under the sink, so am able to obtain virtually pure water - but I still prefer Lahmian for certain trickier paints.

Archived