1000 pts SE Vanguard list

Nox

So I'm real newbie when it comes to gaming so I would love some input on this list I've thought up.

I love the Vanguard models so I wanted to start out with a 1k vanguard list and I've noticed they don't seem to be a popular choice for competitive list but I wanted to see if a semi-competitive list were at all possible.

Allegiance:
Stormcast Eternals

Heroes:
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
- Command trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact : Spellshield
- Gryph-Charger Trait : Keen-clawed

Units:
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140)
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140)
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (220)
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (220)
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (80)
- 1 x Stormsurge Tridents

Total: 1000/1000

I don't feel the need to be fully Vanguard but I kinda like Aquilor, Pallador and hunter trio so I will try to keep those. Perhaps one could remove one unit of Palladors and the Prosecutors for something else but as I said I'm a really in-experienced player so I'm not clear on my armies weaknesses and needs so I would some experienced input on that. Thanks in advance!

I find it helps me to look at the different battalion formations and build my list around one.  That way you have some built-in synergies already and should have a good idea of what your strategy will be when you play.

To that end, your list is very close to the build for the Vanguard Angelos Conclave.  I've built a couple of lists that feature it and it can be a lot of fun, if not out and out overpowering.  

To field it your list at 1k points pretty much has to look like: 

- Lord-Aquilor (200)

- 3x5 Vanguard Hunters (420)

- 1x3 Vanguard Palladors (220)

- Vanguard Angelos Conclave (100)

That gets you to 940/1000.  You could chuck a Gryph Hound or some Aetherwings in there, but personally I'd probably just play it short and roll for a triumph each game.

Hey thanks for the response.  I really appreciate you taking the time!

So reading the rules for Angelos Conclave it seems I won't be able to use the Aetheric Wake ability from that battalion as it requires me to use 3 units of Palladors so my sole focus for my army would to try and utilize the The Trap is sprung ability which if I'm reading it correctly means I can shoot with my hunters every time I set them up using their Astral Compass effectively doubling their shooting? So in this way I could set up hunters and shoot and then shoot again in my shooting phase, attempt to charge in combat and in my next moment phase rinse and repeat?

No, because it work when ALL the vanguard hunter of the battailion come from pursuit at the same time.

The first time, the three unit come, it work.

But after, you can set-up only one unit per turn in pursuit with the aquilor

Even if two aquilor use their command ability, you won't be able to make the three vanguard hunter come from pursuit at the same time

Oh I see, so wouldn't I have to be very lucky with my shooting then to justify the combined effect of having to pay 100 pts for the effectively once per battle The Trap is Sprung and the fact that I can't effectively use the remaining 60 pts? Also a bit concerned with investing so heavily into the hunters which people seem to have mixed feelings about their capabilities. Or am I just being silly?

No, those are both valid points.  I personally value the The Trap is Sprung ability enough to put it in my list, but YMMV.  

I think the Hunters are all about keeping your opponent on his back foot.  Your opponent can never feel totally secure with an objective he holds or the position of his heroes/wizards if you've got a unit of Hunters held back.

With this ability they can arrive anywhere, shoot, shoot again and then attempt a charge (50/50 shot w/ the Astral Compass rules) to then hopefully tack on some more damage in melee.

At 1000 pts, there aren't going to be too many things that can stand up to that.  

the angelos conclave is not really worth it at 1000 pts, yes

one thing to remenber : most people play 1000 pts game on 4 square and not 6. 4 square is a tiny table. When your hunter appear, a moderately fast army won't have any trouble to engage them, and even an ironjaw force will always be able to send at least one unit.

However, in 1500-2000 games, trying to catch all those hunter/pallador who keep teleporting everyway become extremely tedious and infuriating, making you able to isolate any unit who try to chase a isolated hunter unit. They really gain in efficiency. In 2000 pts, paying 100 to gain another item, a one drop of several unit, and a "powerful" alpha strike (20/25 hunter who came out of nowhere and launch dozen of bolt is enough to kill some character and severly cripple a unit/one monster) make it more powerful.

the winner of the SCGT tournament at 1000 pts used a full vanguard army. The game were on 6 square, making his army nearly impossible to catch. He played :

lord aquilor

knight venator

3 longstrike

5 hunter

5 hunter

3 pallador

very very mobile, quite resilient (hunter are still 2 wound/4+ models, as resilient as the classic heavy infantry and won't go down easily, same for the palladors), and while it don't make lot of dmg, they are never out of range, and can easily concentrate fire and move across the board in the blink of an eye

5 hunter, when they arrive, are 11 3+/4+/-/1 attacks, then 11 more after the charge (7 is not hard to do). More than 20 attacks is enough to kill a character or dent a unit. They can hold their own against most of the battlines in the game. Just don't charge stormcast paladins or kurnoth hunters :D

And if your opponent try to catch them while sending a unit, he KNOW that the unit will potentially disappear and come back anywhere, making the unit he sent far away from everything and useless.

With two aquilor with consumate commander, you can litteraly dance with the ennemy

• 3 weeks later...
the angelos conclave is not really worth it at 1000 pts, yes
one thing to remenber : most people play 1000 pts game on 4 square and not 6. 4 square is a tiny table. When your hunter appear, a moderately fast army won't have any trouble to engage them, and even an ironjaw force will always be able to send at least one unit.
However, in 1500-2000 games, trying to catch all those hunter/pallador who keep teleporting everyway become extremely tedious and infuriating, making you able to isolate any unit who try to chase a isolated hunter unit. They really gain in efficiency. In 2000 pts, paying 100 to gain another item, a one drop of several unit, and a "powerful" alpha strike (20/25 hunter who came out of nowhere and launch dozen of bolt is enough to kill some character and severly cripple a unit/one monster) make it more powerful.
the winner of the SCGT tournament at 1000 pts used a full vanguard army. The game were on 6 square, making his army nearly impossible to catch. He played :
lord aquilor
knight venator
3 longstrike
5 hunter
5 hunter
3 pallador
very very mobile, quite resilient (hunter are still 2 wound/4+ models, as resilient as the classic heavy infantry and won't go down easily, same for the palladors), and while it don't make lot of dmg, they are never out of range, and can easily concentrate fire and move across the board in the blink of an eye
5 hunter, when they arrive, are 11 3+/4+/-/1 attacks, then 11 more after the charge (7 is not hard to do). More than 20 attacks is enough to kill a character or dent a unit. They can hold their own against most of the battlines in the game. Just don't charge stormcast paladins or kurnoth hunters [emoji3]
And if your opponent try to catch them while sending a unit, he KNOW that the unit will potentially disappear and come back anywhere, making the unit he sent far away from everything and useless.
With two aquilor with consumate commander, you can litteraly dance with the ennemy

Thank you for sharing this, I have been considering starting a vanguard stormcast list for a while now and i really like this 1k south coast list.

How would you guys expand this list to 2k?

At a glance i was thinking of expanding the hunters to 3 10 man units in an angelos conclave. The idea of them dishing out 120 crossbow pistol shots in one player turn just seems like too much fun ^_^ Then I was thinking of also adding a Relictor and Venator to teleport in later and support the hunter units that need it.

Let me know what you think.

Things i see alot in my local meta are:
-Khorne priests and bloodbound
-Cunnin Ruk'ed arrow boyz, frostlord stonehorn, grot spam
- Tzeentch skyfires with changehost, changeling shenanigans

Thanks

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

units of 10 vanguard hunter sounds good, but doesn't really work as good as it sound, i think.

Because they must stay more than 7" of the ennemy (and inside the 6" of a edge), have 9 range, and big base mean that you'll sometime, if not often, see half of the unit simply out of range after the ambush. One general trick to counter ambushing hunters is that, if you are at more than 15" of a table edge, they just simply can't attack you. One skilled opponent will know that and be able to advance/deploy in a way to prevent 30 vanguard hunter popping out of the shadows and bolt everything.

However, i think at least one unit of 10 vanguard hunter is good. You can ignore 5 vanguard on your flank. However, 20 wounds with a 4+ save shooting 21 time mean that the opponent WILL have to take them in consideration

As for the character, if you really like the mobility, but it begin to be expensive: one more aquilor and consumate commander, meaning both can use their command ability. It make two teleported unit each turn which can be really fun.

I heard that the pallador are the type of unit who get expotionnaly better when you take them en-masse. I think someone made a list with 9-12 of them with great sucess, because they are still not easy to kill, and they don't "mess" with each other. They all can teleport and attack the same unit, with a good concentrated fire effect.

I'm still afraid of the maybe-lack-of-dmg of the vanguard chamber as a whole. Except with the longstrike, it's dmg 1 everywhere with few rend here and here.

Archived