This is 'How I Brayherd' Bro!

HobbyHammer

fullsizeoutput_4174.jpeg.f1e1fa37d3b87c0

Good Morning Everyone! Thought I would join the likes of @Chris Tomlin and @Paul Buckler in creating a running Blog showing the progression and battle reports of My newest filth... Brayherd! 

Ok... So I am completely not a competitive gamer but want to try my hands at taking the Brayherd and turning them into something I can compete with but still have fun! 

A little Background on Me

Ok, so my name is Sean Houghton, my online wargaming identity is HobbyHammer, I run online Narrative Campaigns, Narrative Events and a club too. I also have my own blog over at http://www.hobbyhammer.com which has Painting Guides, Terrain Tutorials, Reviews, Showcases and all things mini related. Check it out if you wish. I started playing AoS with Beastmen, I had literally about 5000 points of these but due to life, had to sell them all :(. But now, i'm back! The time has come.

The list I am building towards is this...

593a63928113d_ScreenShot2017-06-09at09_59_26.png.7b10763fc0dc9686abb466e60f06e46b.png

Whats the Army goal?

You will find me referring to the Beastlord as Mojgorox, this is my character I created back in 8th edition. His story goes that his mind during the End Times was split in 4, each quarter dedicated to each of the 4 Chaos Gods. He is constantly spoken to by the gods and this is driving him crazy! He refers to the Gods as his Fathers and constantly talks about himself as if he is a group of people. He is tormented and tortured by the Gods for their own amusement. But on the battlefield, he is able to harness all the powers of each individual to create a Monster, his followers look to him as the Chosen one, the overall Ruler of the Beasts and the Realms. But at the end of the day... he is just a Schizophrenic Goat who loves his Daddies.

The Wildstalker formation in my opinion is amazing! To be able to ambush is what the Brayherds are all about. That along with their ridiculous movement and huge numbers should swamp the enemies before they even have a chance to know what has happened. That is my plan anyway. 

I haven't played any games yet (Lots of models to paint), but will get a game in soon as all the models are now built. The next few weeks will be a bit of painting progress. But all my battles will be reported on, all painting progress and stories will be recorded! I hope.

20 Gor, painted and ready to be Round Based! As you can see, I have gone for an easy scheme of mainly base wash dry brush. I wanted them to all appear filthy and Bestial. The Loin clothes on the Army I have painted Green to tie this into my Nurgle Rotbringers, if I ever choose to mix in the Alliance. 

IMG_2659.JPG.bce73f82d4eb6efbfb8bad3dfb6b2193.JPGIMG_2660.JPG.8f799a7123ba413924d369779fe47bde.JPGIMG_2661.JPG.907351435c753d75c723fe675fbd332e.JPGIMG_2662.JPG.85f7f50e4dfe677420d22a64398fc7b6.JPG

For Mojgorox himself, I couldn't just use any old Beastlord, this guy is special...

tumblr_nlka2yOIH41tppateo1_1280.jpg.26ec65adc39ae959feeefdc505a4f9e0.jpgIMG_2638.JPG.fddc81193e886a0cc5a77495e8096691.JPG

This Image to the Left was and has been my inspiration for Mojgorox since 8th edition! The model on the right is 8th Ed Mojgorox, the Beastlord I used for Fantasy, but as you can see, it is now dated, AoS is bigger and badder, So Mojgorox has to be too... 

Then as if by perfect chance.. Paranoid Minis released this concept art! Mojgorox is getting an upgrade, I have ordered him (as well as the rest of the Wildborn Faction) and can't wait to paint him up! 

311fc09fda9f574848f7528f88b6efeb.jpeg.3f28e58c7e2a582830ac4ce034609954.jpeg

529d84f22898c6cbe338cfc21b71d30b.jpeg.e144deed23ba387911394a17621b3254.jpeg
Mojgorox in the back! 

I hope you enjoy my ramblings coming up, let me know if there is anything you want me to talk about and I welcome any feedback on my ****** #speedpainted army! 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woha! love the old Mojgorox model. Hes a neat little conversion and looks great. but the new guy... defo looks like he packs a punch!

Looking forward to following your progress.  Wild Stalker is pretty pricey... but keen to see how it play out. What size bases are you using for the Gor btw?

Cheers, HP

13 minutes ago, Mrhpoo said:

Woha! love the old Mojgorox model

Cheers, May downgrade him to a Gor when new guy is painted up! Just to keep him in the army.

14 minutes ago, Mrhpoo said:

What size bases are you using for the Gor btw

I'm gonna go with 32mm's as this seems right, don't think the Gor and Bestigor would look good on 25's, the Ungor however will definitely be on 25's

@HobbyHammer - Cool thread man, looking forward to see it progress.

The army is cool, James at our club runs something very similar (though added a pair of WLC for a bit of much needed kick). The Ungor Raiders with bows are surprisingly destructive in larger units, so that is something you may wish to consider if looking for a competitive side to things here.

Talking of competitive...

30 minutes ago, HobbyHammer said:

I'm gonna go with 32mm's as this seems right, don't think the Gor and Bestigor would look good on 25's, the Ungor however will definitely be on 25's

This is where you're going to have to juggle your hobby and competitive side tbh! It's potentially a pretty massive decision for you. Gor/Bestigor will perform differently depending on whether they are based on 25mm or 32mm bases. I'll be honest, where you are only running 20 man goat units it does make less of a difference to the usual 30 units, as before long you'll be fighting with just a front rank anyway. If you think you may switch up to the more effective 30 packs, do give the base size some consideration.

Talking purely from an aesthetically point of view though, both units look much better on 32mm bases and I would suggest that's what they feel "right" on.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you do with that cool Paranoid mini.

Chris

5 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

juggle your hobby and competitive side

Haha! Yer .. I'm not the best juggler! ;) 

5 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

James at our club runs something very similar

Seen this and love it! I ran Brayherd (Well old Beastmen) at beginning and can see what you mean, the army does need some sort of big thing dealing some kick. 

6 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

you are only running 20 man goat units it does make less of a difference to the usual 30 units,

Think for now, I have just went crazy buying old second hand models to strip and re paint. I came up with a list that fits the battalion with what I got. Definitely see where 30 or even 40 Goat units will benefit and will probably default to this in future. Ungor Raider are the armies only Shooting and will be expanding these over time and dropping the standard Ungor. 

I just can't see myself putting them on 25's.. I really thought about it and thought if I want this to be competitive I need to.. But I didn't. Bought 32's. :(. 32mm's also future proofs them IMO. If they ever get a battle tome or are ever repacked etc, Gors and Bestigors will definitely be 32mm infantry whilst Ungor should remain 25's (Again this is my opinion only and I will probably be wrong and end up having to rebase over 180 models)

Out of interest, What does James put them on?

13 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you do with that cool Paranoid mini

Cheers bud! Looks like a great mini. Onto 20 Ungor Raiders next so will have an update on that soon too!

@HobbyHammer - Good answers throughout mate. I agree with you. If it was me, they'd be on 32's (but I certainly wouldn't be critical if you or others went 25).

Word of warning; don't trust Ungor base sizes haha! Anyone who has played Beastmen from 5th edition onwards will tell you the pain of Ungor rebasing over the years!!

They were 20mm in 5th ed with the mixed Hordes of Chaos book. They then went to 25mm in the 6th ed Beasts of Chaos book as part of combined Beast Herds with Gor. Then for 8th ed, they went back to their own units and, again, 20mm bases (yes, really!!), in the Beastmen book. So if you include rebasing to rounds, they have to be the most rebased Fantasy unit ever? Fun bit of trivia haha.

James put his Gor and Bestigor on 25mm rounds, however Henry Poor went 32mm. They played at Tomorrow Burns with very similar hours. Both cited base disparity as the difference maker.

My Gor and Bestigor's are on 32s. They look great! Buuttt you obviously lose a whole lot of attacks. The only unit I really missed the attacks on was the Bestigor. They are the only Breyheard unit that does damage. I think large units of Gor blocking space is probably just as useful as the extra attacks they get.

Ungor's are defiantly on 25s! 

8 hours ago, HobbyHammer said:

My 8th ed Gor/Bestigor were on 25mm and Ungors were on 20mm too. The pain of rebasing them never struck. ?

The pain of buying 200 bases from GW recently was very real though ?

I started my army in 6th, rebased the ungors to 25, then again I've rebased them to rounds.  Also that original herd was left in the heat of a car once so those ungors were put on 25 mm squares twice.

I'm nearly done my herd, just need to drill the 30 Pestigors to affix them to the 32 mm rounds.

Brayherd are my first love so always happy to see stuff with em!  I'm a little nervous about rebasing them though.  Is it more then likely they'll end up on 32mms?  And for sure that'll be a lot of attacks lost.  I may have to take them out to stretch those hooves now that you've put them back in my head!

I Brayherd, but not fully. I like to add a Furious Brayherd to my Chaos Dwarfs; a Furious Dwarfherd, if you will.

While I can't comment on full Brayherd, I can say that these guys are damnnear invaluable, with their cheap-in-numbers cost and speed. On perfect rolls with the right synergy, Gors/Ungors/Bestigors can move 28" with their movement+charge (and freaking pile in 4"). To sort of paraphrase Bradley Nowell:

Lord knows that I got ******' board control
Do you got the board control? 

These guys take objectives and jam up the enemy while my shooty dwarfs TCOB. 20 Bestigors are surprisingly murderous, especially with the extra Furious Brayherd attack.

I've often wondered, though, how effective they can be solo; they seem to just have infantry that do varying degrees of a similar thing. I guess it's a numbers game. Also, I see the shamans being invaluable if you need a monster and don't want to break faction for that sweet, sweet raider battline.

I am really looking forward to getting them on the board again and seeing just how over (or under) whelming they will be. Keeping 300-400 points back for summoning may well be a key, as GBS is a Chaos Wizard, he can summon Daemons too, may be great for late objective grabbing. 

But at the same point 400 points is worth 50 Gor... which may be better suited to being on the board from the beginning. 

Movement will be key, maybe some MSU units for late objective grabbing and chaff is where their strength may lie. 

Looking good. Love how filthy they are, as they should be, because they are filthy disgusting goatmen.

All I have painted of mine are 10 Bestigors (focusing more on the Dwarf side of things for now...). But here they are - I went with a grey skin/dark fur to fit the barren wasteland theme of my Furious Dwarfherd. I loved painting these guys, they were a lot of fun and are really great models, despite the fact that they don't always fit together perfectly, their horns conflict with the axes and their head joints are kind of weird.

3HbHNQ0.jpg

qivLrvD.jpg

Gmg1NKC.jpg

As well, I was thinking more of summoning something big at the start of the game. You don't really need any more infantry with all the --gors you have on the table. However, something beefy is a good distraction and may offer something other than just damage output (I've been trying to figure how to convert up and fit in a Jabberslythe...)

Archived