AoS Campaign Books

chord

AoS Campaign Books  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How many of the big Campaign books do you own?

• 3+

I don't own any as I didn't have a complete army or an opponent to play against at the time they were published. They also seemed to come so thick and fast that only the most hard-core of narrative gamers must have been able to keep up.

I'm a little reluctant to pick them up now as the Realmgate Wars have passed. However I would be keen to have a read of the fluff. I hope this gets summarised in any future edition "big books" or general's handbook.

I've read about half of the Realmgate Wars novels. Do these campaign books add much in terms of additional story?

I picked up the Quest for Ghal Maraz book and would love to get the rest of the bunch. My only issue is the cost. I want to read the storyline, and I definitely want to try out the battleplans, but I have to save my pennies (and of course that same money can't buy more models if it buys more books!).

9 minutes ago, AdamJ said:

I don't own any as I didn't have a complete army or an opponent to play against at the time they were published. They also seemed to come so thick and fast that only the most hard-core of narrative gamers must have been able to keep up.

I'm a little reluctant to pick them up now as the Realmgate Wars have passed. However I would be keen to have a read of the fluff. I hope this gets summarised in any future edition "big books" or general's handbook.

I've read about half of the Realmgate Wars novels. Do these campaign books add much in terms of additional story?

I picked the three I have up way after they came out, the battleplans and extra rules are still great.

All but GodBeasts and All-Gates are covered in the novels.  So the novels will give you most everything except the wrap up to the Realmgate Wars.

4 minutes ago, rokapoke said:

I picked up the Quest for Ghal Maraz book and would love to get the rest of the bunch. My only issue is the cost. I want to read the storyline, and I definitely want to try out the battleplans, but I have to save my pennies (and of course that same money can't buy more models if it buys more books!).

It can be a hard balance I agree

18 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

Now that I'm thinking of it, the realmgate wars novels never went beyond Balance of Power events, didn't they?

Nope which is a huge bummer.  All-Gates with all those massive fortress battles could have been incredible!

Most of the battlepan are very fun and surprisingly balanced when the two armies are even, with lot of very very close victories. However, lot of them are broken by some news armies (like the sylvaneth and their teleportation with wyldwood who completely trivialise most of the "escape" battleplan).

The writing is inconsistent. The first book, quest of ghal maraz, is a bit boring. The second is much better, with a epic ending. I LOVED godbeast and all-gates. The quality improve at each book, and some characters are quite cool (Archaon is surprinsigly likeable).

Many moment are memorable (like when the goblin, after centuries of fear and cowardice of chaos forces, find in themselves the flame of bravery and courage while fighting the stormcast, winning against them and recreate their ties with Gorkamorka). The scale of the battle are absurd, with dozen oh thousand of stormcast being killed here and here while fighting 10 000 varanguard or billion of skaven (with 500 stormfiend killing a whole host ! )

It's not Pulitzer-price writing, but it's very pleasant

Those books are very expensive, but very good, except maybe the first one. But all the battleplan, with few exception, are worth it. You'll just have to balance some armies

I want them all, but I would have to make some serious budgetary changes to afford them.  My job is good, but life can make things expensive (luckily, my wife is a stay-at-home mom, which is about break even for childcare costs).

They are on my list to get, but I just don't know where to place them on priority, you know?  I have almost a dozen army ideas that I want to collect and paint in my life, but I can't afford very much at a time right now.  Plus with 40K being awesome again?  Argh!  My wallet cringes at the thought of getting everything I want...

I have "Mighty Battles in an Age of Unending War" and "Quest for Ghal Maraz", I absolutely love them. They explain the background better than any of the novels and even have story beats that are missing from the novels. I intend on picking them all up, as I love the storyline and love playing through the Battleplans. They also have many Time of War rules sections that add so much to my games. I don't think they are overpriced for all the content and the quality of the books, specially if you buy them on Amazon at a discount. 

25 minutes ago, Auticus said:

This all sounds familiar ;) In my group there are about 25 players and I think two of us have any of the campaign books.  

Thats been like that for over twenty years though.  The only books the vast vast vast majority of our group ever bought were army books.  Campaign books never interested anyone.

Are you sure they aren't interested? or are they just not interested at that price point? I would purchase them if they were $20 or less. I'm not paying $60 for a handful of battleplans and a bunch of fluff.

45 minutes ago, Auticus said:

This all sounds familiar ;) In my group there are about 25 players and I think two of us have any of the campaign books.  

Thats been like that for over twenty years though.  The only books the vast vast vast majority of our group ever bought were army books.  Campaign books never interested anyone.

Bummer,  they are missing out on so many good rules and battleplans, plus some great campaign ideas.

21 minutes ago, Auticus said:

I use the books for both knowing the narrative of the game, and creating battleplans yes.  They have a lot of value for me as a narrative event organizer.

However they are not for everyone.

Last summer I was using a warhammer world scenario in the realm of Aqshy where the heat was as much an enemy as anything else.  This was pre-GHB, we were using my Azyr Comp for points.  One of the players threw a rage-fit that he was being screwed over by narrative scenarios because of it.  He collected his army and stormed out of the store.  And the scenario was something I got from an official GW-Event lol.

There's just a large portion of people that have no desire to deviate from whatever the core scenario(s) is/are because they build their army specifically for the core scenario(s) and nothing else because the community overall seems to support that very thing (only playing the core scenario(s)).  

I'm slowly moving more toward my narrative novel ideas using AOS models as my medium.  Narrative gaming or deviating from core has always been a very specialized and niche thing in the overall scheme of things when it comes to wargames... since at least the early 90s when Magic was released.  

WOW.   I can't even imagine.    (I'm new to wargaming so maybe that is why).

Has anyone used the Regiments of Renown rules in All-Gates?  I want to try them out, seems like a great way to give units experience throughout a campaign (as long as they stay alive).

Tomorrow, I have all game relevant books (Grand Alliance Books, Realmgate Wars, Battletomes, Spire of Dawn). The only book that is missing until tomorrow is the Skirmish Booklet.

Sadly I have only read the Realmgate Wars by now (Started collecting the books in September 2016 and didn't found the time to read them all) and haven't a group to really play it, but like to build my armies and reading the lore.

12 hours ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

Now that I'm thinking of it, the realmgate wars novels never went beyond Balance of Power events, didn't they?

The furthest a book (Lord of Undeath) went was a battle at the all-gates, where a certain God decides to revoke his promise to send help to the Stormcast. It was only a small chapter though.

As for the campaign books, I have them all, but have only used them to read the fluff.

Archived