Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
  • entry
    1
  • comments
    13
  • views
    454

Arachnophilia - How I fell in love with the Spiderfang!

Sign in to follow this  
Wargamingforfun

2,410 views

Since the Battle for Skull Pass I've always wanted to do a spider themed army. When the Arachnaroks came on the scene spiders became a lot more viable but animosity was crippling to the small bands of five spider riders, who would head for the hills after a couple of casualties. In AOS that all changed and the Spiderfang Venom Mob presented a temptation beyond what I could bare!

For the Spiderfang formation each unit gives buffs to other units making it possible for the spider riders, in ideal circumstances, to dish out mortal wounds on a 4+ hit! There is shooting but with hitting and wounding on 5's you'll be rolling a lot of dice to bring anything half decent down. The Aracknarok spiders make the smaller spider riders immune to battle shock with 8'' making them a real 'tar pit', something they normally wound not be on leadership 4 (with the banner they are leadership 6 if NOT in combat!!!! Typical fickle gobos!) While the army cannot fly, it does ignore any terrain when moving. Everything in the army moves at 8' so nothings getting let behind.

My three aracknaroks, two with flingers and one with a Shaman, are the center piece visually of the army in three different colours. The leader of the army is the Bigboss on the Gigantic Spider. 

I will do a more detail write up up anyone is interested but for now I'll just show a few photos. Whole army took me three days to convert (spider riders), build (big boys) and paint (everything) so bare this in mind when criticizing the paintwork. There will be some tufts added when I next go to a show. 

 

DSCF9468.JPG

DSCF9469.JPG

DSCF9470.JPG

DSCF9471.JPG

DSCF9472.JPG

DSCF9473.JPG

DSCF9474.JPG

DSCF9475.JPG

  • Like 3
Sign in to follow this  


13 Comments


Recommended Comments

This is a cool army, the fact you did it in 3 days is impressive. The tufts will definitely improve the look, the other thing that stands out as a bit rough is the teeth/horn/bone colour on the Araknaroks, it could do with a bit of sepia shading or something.

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

This is incredibly impressive for 3 days work. Always loved those giant spider models

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

I could have (and might still!) copy and paste your opening paragraph into my blog once I start it, haha! Just something I've always loved about the Spider Riders. I'd recently decided to go full bore on an army of them, hoping to convert and paint them for the next Armies on Parade...and then this army (well not this specific army) won the SCGT! This is all pretty amazing circumstance in my opinion :)

Bang up job on this, very impressive for 3 days work to be sure! What bases are you using for the Spider Riders?

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Hello Ade, good to see you're still in the hobby mate ;)

It was a shame not to see these in action on the channel, but the aesthetic was the inspiration for my friends army and having played against it. It's enormously effective! 

Great job on these too, especially on that turn around. I'd like the echo the above statements and suggest using some washes to tone down the ****** and some flock and tufts to bring some life into the bases. Looking forward to seeing more

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 5/17/2016 at 0:13 PM, cb_rex said:

This is a cool army, the fact you did it in 3 days is impressive. The tufts will definitely improve the look, the other thing that stands out as a bit rough is the teeth/horn/bone colour on the Araknaroks, it could do with a bit of sepia shading or something.

Thanks for the tip :)

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 5/17/2016 at 2:12 PM, dea said:

This is incredibly impressive for 3 days work. Always loved those giant spider models

It's the arachnaroks that catch the eye, thanks for the encouragement :)

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 5/17/2016 at 3:22 PM, Dez said:

I could have (and might still!) copy and paste your opening paragraph into my blog once I start it, haha! Just something I've always loved about the Spider Riders. I'd recently decided to go full bore on an army of them, hoping to convert and paint them for the next Armies on Parade...and then this army (well not this specific army) won the SCGT! This is all pretty amazing circumstance in my opinion :)

Bang up job on this, very impressive for 3 days work to be sure! What bases are you using for the Spider Riders?

I am lucky enough to have access to a laser cutter at work and I made myself some ellipses out of 3mm acrylic. Save some money when doing conversion work. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 5/17/2016 at 3:43 PM, RossMHoward said:

Hello Ade, good to see you're still in the hobby mate ;)

It was a shame not to see these in action on the channel, but the aesthetic was the inspiration for my friends army and having played against it. It's enormously effective! 

Great job on these too, especially on that turn around. I'd like the echo the above statements and suggest using some washes to tone down the ****** and some flock and tufts to bring some life into the bases. Looking forward to seeing more

Hey Ross, great to hear from you and thanks for the tip on the washes. Swamp tufts have arrives and I'll be adding them on soon. I am actually thinking of re-basing the big guys now as I saw some arachnaroks at Warhammer World on huge circle bases, very impressive.

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 5/17/2016 at 7:37 PM, Ben said:

This is a really cool looking army!  Excellent work

Thanks for the encouragement pal.

Share this comment


Link to comment

A friend of mine based his rearing upwards to make it easier for people pilling in to attack him, which is very diplomatic. It also makes for some great cinematic moments like this

b2b729a3-25ae-46cb-87fe-62ed60b7d640.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Beautiful work, I've been thinking of doing this exact same army for months. A unit of Grot Scutlings from the Silver Tower box would make a nice addition.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Seeing these pics taken outside on a nice sunny day shows them off brilliantly! Glad you are still painting minis for AoS and for 3 days these are better than I can do in 3 months! Excellent work!

Share this comment


Link to comment
Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...