Jump to content

Harder than I thought...


lare2

215 views

 Share

Managed to get my target for the week done - basecoat the armour. Process started with a zenithal highlight using vallejo model air chrome. This is an absolutely lush colour. Would very much recommend it. Used the air brush for this step - something new for me except for test models for the project. Previously I said I'd been prepping for this project for about a year. Most of that was saving up for the airbrush and compressor and trying to figure out what to do with it! I reckon I've a fair amount to learn still but I'm getting there. 

Before the highlight though I used silly putty to block out any faces. Don't want too much paint on the faces with the risk it could affect detail. Again, first time using it but it seemed to have worked a treat. There's a lot of negativity about Stormcast masks but I'm a fan and I've not many bare heads. Plus, I suck at painting faces!

Next up was Akhelian Green Contrast, shot through the airbrush at 2:1 with contrast medium (medium:Akhelian). Love this colour, especially over metallics. Thought this bit would be a doddle... 3 hours later I was almost in tears! Glad the airbrush is going away now until further down the line! 

Anywho, hope you enjoy the pics. 

 

20210827_103042.jpg

20210827_103049.jpg

20210827_121237.jpg

20210827_143016.jpg

20210827_143036.jpg

20210827_143045.jpg

20210827_143054.jpg

20210827_143203.jpg

Edited by lare2

  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1
 Share

4 Comments


Recommended Comments

Forgot to mention, faq came out today. It's been confirmed that it's either/or for Praetors or Yndrasta's ward save. Looks like they'll be protecting the Lord Arcanum in future. 

Link to comment

Interestingly, today I dusted the room I paint in. Nothing was visible but all the dust was green. Made me very happy I wear a respirator when using the airbrush. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great progress getting it all done in one shot! What is your typical turnaround for an army like this?

I wish I had a better compressor, as mine doesn't have any psi settings and is bollocks for air primers, which get stuck quite easily.
Colored metallics are definitely the big winners with contrast paints.


I've got the Dominion Stormcast saved for a rainy day. Their theme is growing on me, so will be interesting following your progress.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 8/30/2021 at 4:01 AM, CrimsonKing said:

Great progress getting it all done in one shot! What is your typical turnaround for an army like this?

I wish I had a better compressor, as mine doesn't have any psi settings and is bollocks for air primers, which get stuck quite easily.
Colored metallics are definitely the big winners with contrast paints.


I've got the Dominion Stormcast saved for a rainy day. Their theme is growing on me, so will be interesting following your progress.

Truth be told, this is the first time I've ever tried to paint an army in one go like this. I've always very much been a one unit at a time kinda guy. The last few years though, I've been logging what I paint and I average about 2k per year. This project, I've got it scheduled out and I was aiming for 10 weeks until tabletop standard and 18 until complete. However, I was hoping to have all fabric painted this week but after having spent 3 hours last night just working on the leather underarmour, I'm having to reassess my situation. Realistically I think it would be more like 15-20 weeks to tabletop standard. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...