The first thing that I needed to do was figure out the right basing technique for my army, I wanted something out of my comfort zone and that would add to the overall presentation of the army. So off to YouTube I went in hopes to find some ideas. One video that caught my eye was:
I wanted to do something like that but wasn't sure if I could pull it off. I watched the video a few times then went off to Home Depot to pick up some wood filler and the necessary dyes.
Here are the results from two test bases I made (the hole is where I decided to be pinning the model):
* Also note that in order for the cracked paint to do the work it needs it requires pretty much overnight to set. The first image was after a couple hours of drying and the rest of the shots were after I put some paint to them and added the bits of grass:
I was feeling pretty pumped, I found the style I was going to use! I quickly checked it against a couple of the models that I had built to get a better idea of how it would look.