I did Architecture at university not long ago and as part of that I started to experiment with the possibilities of getting my models printed rather than the traditional methods (and familiar to anyone that makes terrain) of mountains of foamboard, knives and creating a big mess with glue. Being a poor student I ended up only getting one printed at a local business I found online. Not needing (or being able to afford) a large model and not being familiar with the best way to get it printed I sent over my entire, unedited building model and after a few false starts below was the result.
Around the same time I learned of a friend of a friend buying their own printer who was looking for some bits to print out to see what it could do. In the spirit of running before you can walk I took a local building for inspiration, modeled up a wall section and sent him the files to see what the result would be.
The end result, while there being room for improvement, were quite encouraging so I decided to go ahead to try and finish the model using a printer of my own and modelled up the rest of the parts and had some fun along the way figuring out how it would all fit together.
In the end the model came in at 56 parts as shown in the renders below of all the parts together and an exploded view. Because the model is supposed to be interacted with I thought it was better not to bother with the roof so you can place models inside, not have to mess about with taking it on and off (and storing it) and just to save on material on something that I didn't expect to be on most of the time.
Below is the model assembled and painted. In the end I decided to print out at a scale of 1:50 which is a bit bigger than the traditional scale but since the models have been increasing in size over time anyway I thought it fit well with those currently in use.