Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
  • entries
    8
  • comment
    1
  • views
    443

About this blog

My efforts at painting the armies of the mortal realms

Entries in this blog

 

Making Progress on the Celestar Ballista

Painting the Celesta Ballista easy to build kit now. Going to have two of these including the one from the Soul Wars box- they're slightly different designs so should look good sitting next to each other on the table!    

hughwyeth

hughwyeth

Next unit finished!

First unit of evocators done! Mix between Soul Wars and regular box. Unfortunately, these guys are indistinguisahable from my Knight Incantor from a distance, so I'll have to think up a colour to add to the robes of the knight-incantor. Blue maybe?? Or some white lines?

hughwyeth

hughwyeth

The start of my Anvils of the Heldenhammer

I'm one of the few that kept the stormcast from the soul wars box and sold the nighthaunt. I've decided to go with Anvils of the Heldenhammer as I like the black and gold and I tested out the colour schemes on some easy-to-build liberators. Here's the first finished model- the force will be entirely Sacrosanct chamber!

hughwyeth

hughwyeth

Finished the Great Unclean One

So i finished him! I started him halfway through working on my Glottkin, which I worked on entirely by hand, no airbrush. I think with massive models like this, the airbrush saves so much time and more importantly, gives a lot more consitency to the shading than doing it by hand! It's been a struggle with the Glottkin to get the same shading over the whole model, whereas with the GUO, it was done in 15 mins with an airbrush!

hughwyeth

hughwyeth

 

Detailing up the big fella

Having taken a break from the GUO for the London GT, where I fielded the Glottkin instead, I'm back to detailing him now.      The speckling issue with the airbrush basecoat is now much less apparent after some layers of washes and detailing have been applied! I'm still unsure if the speckling is an issue with the cheap chinese airbrush I'm using or an issue with how I'm maintaining it. 

hughwyeth

hughwyeth

 

GUO Basecoat complete!

I completed the basecoat on the great unclean one with three colours- a light green called Dead Flesh, a dark green called.......Dark Green, and a bright pink/red for the wounds.    It looks very airbrushed right now, which is not a look I like, but hopefully some washes and detailing with a brush will help! I found consistency with this airbrush to be pretty difficult. I'll be painting with perfect coverage, nice smooth gradients of colour, and then a minute later it's all spotty! I've found putting some thinner into the pot first and then the paint, mixing it up and spraying through a bit seems to help with coverage. I was also painting at around 15psi which seems to have been too weak, so I'm now using 25psi.

hughwyeth

hughwyeth

 

First painting session

The airbrush arrived along with airbrush cleaning fluid, an airbrush cleaning station and this airbrush paint station from HobbyZone (my whole desk is covered in their stuff, so I felt confident this thing would be great, and it is!) With the airbrush all set up I decided to test out on a Gnarlmaw and base coat it. Success! Now on to the Great Unclean One.  Having base coasted with Vallejo Primer black, I then used GW's White Scare Air in an attempt to shade a little before putting the base coat on. Which was a mistake. As is my experience with all GW's whites and some of their bright yellows, it came out chalky and lumpy. I tried making sure the paint was stirred thoroughly, I added thinner, but nothing helped so I stopped there and waited to get some Vallejo white. The Vallejo white came out smooth as and worked great for this highlighting stage.  Finally I basecoated the whole thing in Vallejo Game Air Dead Flesh, as per Terry's excellent video. All these stages had to be repeated for each head and arm choice so it took a while! Happily it's a very smooth finish, so the "chalkiness" from the GW white that was on some of the model didn't come through this final layer. It was much less chunky that the GW white rattlecan spray, which I've had some pretty bad experiences with! Stuff I leanred from this first session:
-Don't use GW whites ever again.
-Every paint behaves differently through an airbrush. I didn't think it would be the case, but Vallejo white requires different air pressure than Dead Flesh and seems to come out slower too. I think testing out every paint on some paper first is going to be required so I know exactly what I'm working with.
-The cheap pump is great but can get very hot. I'm not sure how it would do after a day's painting session. I've used it for about 2 hours straight at most.
-The cheap airbrush is fine, but maintenance can be a bit frustrating- it has a side gravity feed, not just a cup on top, which seems to introduce an additional corner for paint to get stuck in! From tutorials and videos, all airbrushes seem to need this maintenance, so it's not really an issue. As mentioned above, different paints behave quite differently- sometimes not much paint is coming through, or it sprays out in a wider area. I'm not sure if this is the brush or my maintenance which isn't thorough or consistent enough. 

hughwyeth

hughwyeth

 

Airbrush ordered

So I've just ordered the Switzer AS186 (From here) as my first airbrush. It's gotten some good reviews  as a first airbrush. I'm intending to follow this tutorial. Terry is an excellent teacher and he uses airbrushing for basecoating and the base colours, with zenithal highlighting, which I think should be manageable for a first time user. The rest is washes, drybrushing and regular layering techniques.  I'm a little apprehensive of using a £70 airbrush/compressor kit! I'll post again when I receive the airbrush with initial impression. 

hughwyeth

hughwyeth

×