Fyreslayers + allies, what works?

Kimbo

Hi!

Later this week i will get the hold on alot of Fyreslayer units, pretty much all you need......but i like to mix my armies if possible. Any experienced players that tried mixing fyreslayers with other order factions, what worked and what did ot work?

- i was thinking about 2x dwarf cannons with a cogsmith (for reroll to hit) to gain some range, and maybe a hurricanum would be good? for those mortal wounds and +1 hit to everything around them...thoughts?

- as i said, any other order unit im missing that can be of great use for the fyreslayers? please share your ides!!

Best regards, Kimbo

If you want to stick with Duardin, then Kharadron Overlords can offer you a good option for ranged firepower, while Dispossessed off a decent mix of melee and and ranged firepower.  Ironweld Arsenal also provides some heavy shooting that could balance the strengths of the Fyreslayers.

13 minutes ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

If you want to stick with Duardin, then Kharadron Overlords can offer you a good option for ranged firepower, while Dispossessed off a decent mix of melee and and ranged firepower.  Ironweld Arsenal also provides some heavy shooting that could balance the strengths of the Fyreslayers.

Can you be more specific? Im trying to up the power of the list. You think Cannons and hurri like i said will work. Or did you have other things in mind? 

Cheers!

From KO look at the balloon dudes, Thunderers and a Khemist.

Ironweld Arsenal = cannons and an engineer

Dispossessed don't offer a whole lot that the fyreslayers are lacking in that KO don't do better. Namely movement and ranged firepower.

Celestial Hurricanum is a solid choice for any Order army, especially shooting based, as it boosts the To Hit rolls of any unit within a certain range (that goes down as it takes damage).  Want things to hit better?  It will help with that, and provide decent ranged attacks as well, and stacks nicely with any of the options I will list below.

For Dispossessed, the Irondrakes backed by a Runelord giving them -1 to Rend puts them at 3+, 3+, -2 Rend, at 16 inches, or -3 Rend and d3 damage on the unit leader's Grudgehammer Torpedo gun.  Thunderers are not bad in themselves, and can get similar results with the same buffs and higher numbers, but that depends on if you want a large or small block of Dwarves for shooting.

Dispossessed Ironbreakers are nice and tanky, with their abilities to ignore some Rend from enemy attacks making them tough to put down.  Stick a friendly wizard near them for Mystic Shield and they can hold off a lot of light attacks.

For Ironweld Arsenal, the Cannon has really long range, and can do quite a bit of damage if it connects.  Put it near the Hurricanum and an Engineer (probably a Gunmaster for additional ranged output) and get a 3+ re-rollable To Hit on the cannon.  Fewer stronger shots, and the Cannon kit from GW is about as good as you can get for a deal in points-to-dollars spent (if that is a concern).

Its funny you brought this up, because I started working on my mixed KO/FS list just last night.  This is where I'm currently at:

240     Runeson on Magmadroth (General: Master of Defense; Phoenix Stone)

360     30 Vulkites (Warpicks and Shields)

360     30 Vulkites (Warpicks and Shields)

60       5 Vulkites (Warpicks and Shields)

40       Warrior Kinbad        

80       Battlesmith

80       Runesmiter               

360     30 Arkanaut Company (9 Light Skyhooks)

100     Khemist

320     Hurricanum  

This gives me a six drop army with lots of bodies, decent threat range and alternative deployment (deep strike from the Runesmiter).  There is Mortal Wound output from the Vulkites, Hurricanum, and the Magmadroth.  There is sufficient threat diffusion that it may confuse some opponents into making a bad call.   The Arkanaut Company is a nice point holder with a large threat range.  The Hurricanum rounds out the list with shoring up the lackluster universal 4+ to hit across this force and a much needed Mystic Shield (which can bring the Vulkites to 3+ w/reroll all failed saves).  

Thank you all for the replies! Im gonna try and make a fyreslayer list with 2x cannon with reroll Smith and a hurri...Will post it here in a few days and hope you guys can help me make it better! 

Cheers!

7 hours ago, Rollcage said:

Grunstock thunderers give good ranged support. 

Skywardens with ranged weapon loadouts give both movement and long range shooting support. Both have worked well inside fyreslayers lists for me. 

Nice! What weapon loadout on these and how many seems legit for a mixed list? Really love the skywardens...do you get all the weapons you need from 1 pack or do i have to buy more?

The Runesmiter on Magmadroth is infinitely better than the Runeson. The once per game aoe reroll wounds buff is huge. You can fire it off at any point (wording is same as Kairos's Oracle of Eternity), so after dudes pop up in the movement phase. Could you drop the third unit of Vulkites and take another Runesmiter to tunnel the second 30?

3 hours ago, Nico said:

The Runesmiter on Magmadroth is infinitely better than the Runeson. The once per game aoe reroll wounds buff is huge. You can fire it off at any point (wording is same as Kairos's Oracle of Eternity), so after dudes pop up in the movement phase. Could you drop the third unit of Vulkites and take another Runesmiter to tunnel the second 30?

Unfortunately both the Runeson and 3 units of Vulkites are required for the battalion, and without the battalion the drops for this army shoot way past 6.  I agree that the Runeson is hot garbage, but he'll draw focus fire because most don't know any better (which will be hilarious and take heat off of my real units).  That said, his command ability in this force creates an interesting boon to the Vulkites: they'll now all charge on 3d6, reroll any one of those dice (their musician), and drop the lowest dice.  Making long charges, especially those 9" charges from tunneling up, will be much easier within him on the table.  

I've very aware of how good the Runesmiter on Magmadroth is.  I could drop the Battlesmith for a second Runesmiter, or I could drop the Hurricanum for a Runesmiter on Magmadroth and bumping the last unit of vulkites from 5 to 15.  That said, that trade makes me lose an excellent source of Mortal Wounds, a universal +1 hit bubble, an excellent threat magnet (which can be used to bait people into stupid gambits), and the ability to get a Vulkite block up to 3+ (reroll all failed saves)/4++, which is simply one of the tankiest units in the game.  If I really wanted to fit one in, I'd have to drop my KO from this list and give up some of my ranged threat for a mostly mono-FS list (other than the hurricanum).  If I went that direction, it would looks something like this:

240     Runeson on Magmadroth (General: Master of Defense; Phoenix Stone)

360     30 Vulkites

360     30 Vulkites

60       5 Vulkites

40        Warrior Kinbad Battalion

80       Runesmiter 

200     Runesmiter on Magmadroth

80       5 Auric Hearthguard

80        Forge Brethren Battalion

320     Hurricanum

The problem with this force is that it looses the third large block of Company who were sitting on an off objective firing their 24" light skyhooks.  Yes, the potential for +4 save is in this list, but those Hearthguard need to be somewhat near the allied unit they want to do that to (15", which won't work on charging units I might add) and their supporting ranged fire is much less effective on every metric (range, to hit, to wound, rend and damage).  All for a once per game universal reroll wounds, which realistically is only going to be impactful on 2 units (the 30 blocks of Vulkites).  Contrast this with the Runesmiter on foot, who was in the other list and will be able to hand out this buff every turn after he tunnels up to one of the blocks (i.e. the more essential combat).  I think there are just too many tradeoffs moving to this list.  The one real upside though is that it drops me down to only 4 drops.  Now, I think there may be proverbial gas in this engine for a combined list at 2500 points, but I almost never play 2.5k.

Since i got some peoples attention and being to lazy for another post...hehe

Have you played fyreslayers at 1000p? If so.please share the list....I want something to start of with and paint done in the end of this month. Would be lovely If the list is semi competitive atleast...friends only play all in... ;)

Thanks in advance! 

14 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Nice! What weapon loadout on these and how many seems legit for a mixed list? Really love the skywardens...do you get all the weapons you need from 1 pack or do i have to buy more?

I run Thunderers with 3* Rifles, better range and the captain has 4 shots so the 3 shoot 8 times as compared to the fyreslayer auric hearthguards 10. The rest with the Cannons, close range but behind a wall of fyreslayers they can really add the armour penetration shots  to a fight. 
Skywardens fit really well into fyreslayers are they are basically cavalry with 2wounds 4+ save and 12" fly. I use them with drillcannons/skyhooks for fast objective capping and 24" range fire power. Can also use them with Skypikes and support any of your vulkite beserkers in a pinch with the fast movement or get to pesky archers or heroes and take them out. 

Fyreslayers best unit is really just the vulkite berserker, but the fyreslayer foot heroes are quite formidable and I think both of those will only get stronger in a battletome release. I just don't rate the Magmadroth at all. 

5 hours ago, Rollcage said:

I run Thunderers with 3* Rifles, better range and the captain has 4 shots so the 3 shoot 8 times as compared to the fyreslayer auric hearthguards 10. The rest with the Cannons, close range but behind a wall of fyreslayers they can really add the armour penetration shots  to a fight. 
Skywardens fit really well into fyreslayers are they are basically cavalry with 2wounds 4+ save and 12" fly. I use them with drillcannons/skyhooks for fast objective capping and 24" range fire power. Can also use them with Skypikes and support any of your vulkite beserkers in a pinch with the fast movement or get to pesky archers or heroes and take them out. 

Fyreslayers best unit is really just the vulkite berserker, but the fyreslayer foot heroes are quite formidable and I think both of those will only get stronger in a battletome release. I just don't rate the Magmadroth at all. 

Cool! Maybe give skywardens a chance..

How many would you say is a good siced unit?

Made my first "mixed list" 

Allegiance: Order
Auric Runesmiter (80)
Auric Runesmiter (80)
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
Battlesmith (80)
Grimwrath Berzerker (80)
Gunmaster (80)
25 x Vulkite Berzerkers (400)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
15 x Auric Hearthguard (240)
15 x Auric Hearthguard (240)
5 x Auric Hearthguard (80)
Cannon (180)
Cannon (180)
Forge Brethren (80)

Total: 2000/2000

2x tunnel units of 15 auric. 1 big blob to tank stuff with buff from hero. And 2x Cannons with a gunmaster for the rerolls in the back!

Feedback? 

Love, Kimbo

Archived