Seraphon - Skinky Strategies

Kamose

So I've been on the podcasts lately hearing about how bad basic non-Chameleon Skinks are.  So as is traditional I've chosen to base my army around the Skink side of Seraphon (before learning this mind you).  I do have some Saurus Knights and Saurus Guard and a Slaan, however everything else in my army is Skink-centric.  I'm slowly building up to the Heavenswatch Starhost and currently enjoy playing with the Shadowstrike Starhost.

Does anyone have experience with Skinky Seraphon, in particular playing with the Battalions?  Any useful strategies or synergies?  Also any idea of which heavy-hitting units complement Skinks and are most effective?  I have one each of the big dinosaurs (except the Troglodon) but I can't usually field more than one when my friends and I use a comp system with warscroll restrictions (Azyr).  My biggest problem is dealing with tough units like Ironjawz and elite High Elf units.

Thanks!

Doesn't Shadowstrike with rippers = win? That's how I would deal with some of the tougher guys.

Don't know about heavenswatch but I would build a Shadowstrike with EoTG, 2 units of chameleons, and rippers. That still leaves you with plenty of room for bastilidons, flying priests, and other skink toys

Regular Skinks (and Saurus Warriors) are pretty lousy and there's really no reason to run them until they introduce a point system that justifies their stats with point efficiency. With a Skink Chieftain and a big swarm of Skinks you can buff their shooting Hit roll to 2+ but they still wound on 5+ and have no rend so it's kinda pointless.

Other martial Skink units like Ripperdactyls, Troglodon, Bastiladon, etc. are all great and definitely worth running. All the casters (Priest, Starpriest, Starseer) are great in their own way and you should definitely get all 3 - being able to summon the one you need whenever you want is clutch.

A starseer is definitely on my list to buy.  I already a couple priests and starpriests and they are both quite good.  What are people experiences with Kroxigors?  They seem good on paper but I've never played them.  They models are pretty expensive and they are Finecast >:(.  How big would a good size unit be?  Are they basically the 'Ironguts' of our army?

Kroxigors are exceptional at breaking hordes. Throw them into a pack of Zombies or Giant Rats and watch those Moon Hammer attacks cleave them down quickly. They are vulnerable to Rend attacks, and as a larger unit you can expect your enemy to focus them down, so try to deal as much damage with them as possible before they go down.

Their larger size makes them good at blocking choke points and denying melee range around your Skink Priests. They are also very efficient summoning units when dealing with Mortal Wounds, as you get 12 wounds at casting value 6 (24W if you are lucky enough to roll 11+).

Kroxigor don't need any buffs but if you put them near any Skink unit (Ripperdactyls, Terradons, Troglodon, Bastiladon, Stegadon, Engine of the Gods, Chameleon Skinks, the 3 casters) you can benefit from Energy Transference and reroll Wound rolls of 1 - this is great because it gives you a slightly higher chance of activating their Jaws Like a Steel Trap special ability. They can also become pretty sturdy if you throw a Mystic Shield on them.

As a side note, I am not certain if the Starpriest Serpent Staff ability works with Jaws Like a Steel Trap.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a couple of games earlier this week with my Seraphon and was a simple 50 pool SCGT list of a Sunblood, Scarvet on Coldone, 10 Warriors, 15 Guard, 5 Knights and two units of 5 Chameleon Skinks. I faced Ogors and we played the simple Clash Scenario of three objectives where one disapears. Both games ended in a draw but I can say without the Chameleon Skinks, I would have lost both games. Their ability to appear anywhere (and disappear although I didn't use it) makes them great. First game they deleted a unit of Bulls and Skrag and then sat on objectives shooting at stuff. Second game had them appearing behind a Thundertusk and shooting at it over a couple of turns (it died when it charged the Saurus Guard in terrain with the Sunblood nearby).

So basically I think normal skinks are something I'm going to avoid and anything else skink related is awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

I am playing around with a Skink List currently, which is basically, 3 formations, haven't managed to get it on the table as in the middle of a different campaign with our club, but it is 

Skink Starseer - (Heavenswatch Starhost)
Skink Starpriest - (Shadowstrike Starhost, Heavenswatch Starhost)

Chameleon Skinks (2 units of 5) - - (Shadowstrike Starhost)
Rippers (1 unit of 3) - (Shadowstrike Starhost, Heavenswatch Starhost)
Kroxigor (1 unit of 3) - (Thunderquake Starhost, Heavenswatch Starhost)
Razordon + Skink Handlers - (Heavenswatch Starhost)

Troglodon - (Heavenswatch Starhost)
Basildon with Solar Engine - (Thunderquake Starhost, Heavenswatch Starhost)
Engine of the Gods - (Thunderquake Starhost, Heavenswatch Starhost)
Stegadon - (Thunderquake Starhost, Heavenswatch Starhost)

This means units from the Heavenswatch are re-rolling hits and wounds of 1 against a picked target and monsters heal a wound each Hero Phase.
Units from Thunderquake are re-rolling either hits and charges or wounds and saves and also all models heal another wound in the Hero Phase.
Units from the Shadowstrike can vanguard, re-rolling hits and wounds of 1 against picked target and also the rippers can deep strike and destroy anything you wish first turn.

Starseer + Engine of the Gods is filth too if it works out in your favour. Gives you almost guaranteed summoning abilities of any unit. 

I'm looking forward to playing this list. A lot!

You cannot use one unit in multiple battalions (unless the battalion is formed of other battalions, like the Starbeast Constellation)

Your Kroxigors can either be in the Thunderquake OR the Heavenswatch Starhost, but not both, and the same goes for the rest of your units

9 hours ago, PJetski said:

You cannot use one unit in multiple battalions (unless the battalion is formed of other battalions, like the Starbeast Constellation)

Your Kroxigors can either be in the Thunderquake OR the Heavenswatch Starhost, but not both, and the same goes for the rest of your units

Have I missed something? Where does it say this?

Archived