Help me expand

Bushmonkey

Hi all. Recently started a death army. So far i have the skeleton horde starter, another box of skeletons, wight king and some morghasts. Any ideas on what next? I was gonna grab more skeletons but dno if i should grab somthing else

Opinions?

If you are running those skeletons per 20 (kind of recommended as a minimum to see that banner in use), you might want to invest in more battleline troops first. 

So investing in either: more skeletons or some zombies, would allow you to set up pretty much any model you want in matched play for your early games. 

Should you then decide to go for more mono-faction builds  (hard atm for death though), those skeletons and zombies are still quite useful for summoning to capture objectives, so they'll never become completely obsolete.... You could also opt for ghouls, but you'd have to use their old warscroll for summoning and that might get iffy in the future if GW ever decides that only the most recent warscrolls go. 

I'd suggest at least one more box of skeletons to get that unit up to 30, maybe two since you really want to get it to 40 eventually.  Then either a couple more boxes of skellies or a single box of zombies to fill out compulsory battle line slots, and a necromancer since they work so well with the big skelly unit.  Beyond that, what mortarch did you assemble with the skeleton horde box, and what type of morghasts did you pick?

thanks for the replys guys

yes im running the skeletons at 20 atm, and im already leaning towards the Deathrattle side of things. 

@Sception : i made arkhan the black. and wouldnt having more starter boxes give me too many points in army size? i also here that the black knights arnt that great. i made mine into hexwraiths

No more starting boxes, I mean regular skeleton boxes.  Boxes of 10 skeletons.  Units of skeletons want to be run huge.  Units of black knights don't want to be run at all.

With arkhan, what I'd get is two more boxes of skeletons (pushing the unit up to 40), one box of zombies (2 units of 10 to sit on objectives or babysit the necromancer), a necromancer (to let arkhan cast vanhels), a corpse cart to buff arkhan's & the necromancer's casting rolls, a couple boxes of spirit hosts for an alternative summoning option to the morghasts, and then maybe some kind of monster - a mournghul, or terrorgheist, or zombie dragon, or whatever.

Leastwise, that's the stuff I'd pick up.

Archived