The Great Ironclan | 2000 Point Destruction Army List (Semi-Competitive)

Gauche

I've been working on an Ironjawz army to play casual games with or lower end tournaments since my Kunnin' Rukk build has a lot of games under its belt and isn't appropriate for every situation. While Ironjawz certainly have some holes I think I've found a pretty decent build that still manages to be fun.

Moonclan Grot Shaman

Moonclan Grot Warboss on Great Cave Squig (Battle Brew)

Orruk Megaboss (Battlebrew)

Orruk Warboss on War Boar (General w/ Ravager and Talisman of Protection)

2 Grot Squig Herders

5 Cave Squigs

10 Ardboys w/ Big Choppas

10 Ardboys w/ Big Choppas

1 Grot Fanatic

1 Grot Fanatic

1 Grot Fanatic

5 Orruk Brutes w/ Two Brute Choppas, 1x Gore-Choppa, and Boss Klaw/Brute Smasha

20 Moonclan Grots w/ Pokin' Spears and Moonshields, 3x Netters

1 Ironfist Battalion

1 Great MoonClan Battalion

1990/2000 Points

/////Updated Possible List w/ Feedback/////

Moonclan Grot Shaman

Moonclan Grot Warboss on Great Cave Squig (Battle Brew)

Orruk Megaboss (Battlebrew)

Orruk Warboss on War Boar (General w/ Ravager and Talisman of Protection)

1 Mangler Squig

1 Grot Fanatic

1 Grot Fanatic

2 Grot Fanatics

1 Ironfist Battalion

1 Great MoonClan Battalion

2000/2000 Points

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lately I've been experimenting with Ironjawz and been enjoying it but they have a lot of problems if you play them pure. First of all there's no reason to other than the Battleline, Ironjawz love the Destruction Artefacts and Traits and probably would even if they had a full book. Ironjawz also badly want screens and bodies to put on Objectives, they have nothing which is good at Scenario because they have no chaff and no guns. Enter the Grots!

Moonclan Grots do everything Ironjawz want. They stand in the front like champs and are resilient against shooting, as much as the Ironjawz are at least. Netters are horrific to go against with Orks in your face, giving the Grots a job even against tougher melee armies. They also don't mind camping an Objective because they aren't too expensive. I've also taken some Squigs/Herders because of the Battalion who are find with camping an Objective but also a mobile and somewhat potent counter-charge unit. This gives me way more of a Scenario game than Ironjawz usually have.

I went with an Orruk Warboss since he's just flat out better than a Megaboss in terms of buffing attacks. I still have one Megaboss to buff up the Brutes and do some fighting, typically he'll be up front while the Warboss stays in the back. I expect he'll get Mystic Shield a good amount of the time against guns as losing him REALLY hurts my army, luckily he's pretty mobile and I only need to be within 16" of my Orruk units which isn't too hard to do. The Grot Warboss is a requirement, although with Battlebrew he's a pretty good fighter for his points! I don't really mind another Hero either since I have a lot of ground to cover for Rampaging Destroyer.

The list can be as little as four Deployments, which is very important since going second is always such a big advantage. I'm also surprised how much the Great MoonClan Battalion helps, +1 Bravery for Grots is a pretty good bonus and makes them very hard to shift with guns, the Squigs and Warboss are also pretty decent fighters with additional attacks on 6's to Hit since they both get +1 to Hit bonuses, the Warboss even gets re-rolls.

All in all I think this is a pretty fun list to play with and against, and I also think it can hold its own against many other armies. Certainly nowhere near the top of the tournament charts but I'd feel confident going into anything but the known power builds, however it's never going to steamroll someone and will always give them a game. Thoughts?

I like it.

i would be tempted to drop the ardboyz though. What are they doing that the grots are not. An make one unit of brute 10 strong. Giving you abit more combat killing power. At least 20 brutes is a must in any jawz list imho. That would leave you with 180 maybe for more brutes or a unit of gore grunters could be cool. 

I don't see any reason to ever run Brutes beyond 5, it makes Battleshock much worse for them and they gain no benefit. At best it makes them a good Mystic Shield target but that's too little of a benefit for the risk, having 3 Wound models run is really, really bad. It also makes getting them all into combat much harder because they have to maintain coherency, not act as two units. You could argue it preserves the Ironfist but past Turn 2 it's already done its job.

I can see the logic of swapping the Ardboys for Brutes, however I think the numbers have some value and I like their ability to project force a little further as well as being a bit more resilient to Battle Shock. I don't know if it's the right way to go, most people seem to say just use Brutes. I'll likely try both as I get more games and see what feels right. They also work slightly better with the +1 Attacks Command Ability compared to the Brutes, assuming they all get in or maybe all but one.

Archived