Skirmish: chaos warbands.

Arkiham

With the release of skirmish today it seems many people will be picking this up, myself included.

I dunno if there is going to be a skirmish section, so dunno where to post.

For those who have the book, 

What warband have you got in mind ?

I was planning on going slaves to darkness to start, knights , chariots etc. Durable mounted units with respectable damage.

I played a few games today, and this is what I took

Chaos Lord - Inspirational Fighter - Helm of Authority

2 Chaos Knights (Leader with Ensorcelled Weapon, regular dude with Glaive)

3 Chaos Warriors (Hand weapons and Shield)

2 Marauders (1 Leader, 1 with Damned Icon)

1 Marauder Horsemen with Javelin

Renown 50

I really enjoyed how they played. A decent amount of models, some that can hit hard, some that can be tanky, some that are fast, and a smidgeon of ranged damage. I might have swapped a Chaos Warrior for another Marauder Horsemen with Javelin, just to give myself a little bit more flexibility with shooting, but I think I'd have to play a ton to see if it's worth it.

Really miss having the option to take a Chosen though, the warband other than the leader really lacks rend (Which to be honest, is just a deficiency Slaves to Darkness have).

5 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

I played a few games today, and this is what I took

Chaos Lord - Inspirational Fighter - Helm of Authority

2 Chaos Knights (Leader with Ensorcelled Weapon, regular dude with Glaive)

3 Chaos Warriors (Hand weapons and Shield)

2 Marauders (1 Leader, 1 with Damned Icon)

1 Marauder Horsemen with Javelin

Renown 50

I really enjoyed how they played. A decent amount of models, some that can hit hard, some that can be tanky, some that are fast, and a smidgeon of ranged damage. I might have swapped a Chaos Warrior for another Marauder Horsemen with Javelin, just to give myself a little bit more flexibility with shooting, but I think I'd have to play a ton to see if it's worth it.

Really miss having the option to take a Chosen though, the warband other than the leader really lacks rend (Which to be honest, is just a deficiency Slaves to Darkness have).

I've not the book yet, are chariots a option? 

Just now, Arkiham said:

I've not the book yet, are chariots a option? 

Yes, they are an option but they cost as much as most heroes. It'll be interesting to see those that play campaigns and whether or not it's worth banking up renown (You won't be able to get enough renown from a single battle to purchase a chariot) to purchase more expensive models or additional heroes.

8 hours ago, Tasman said:

I should be getting my copy today.... looking forward to playing a few games. Are they as quick as they appear to be?

I'm going to play a couple of games tomorrow but based on the gameplay of Hinterlands (gameplay wise maybe even more intense due to the paperwork, who wounded who) a 25 renown battle could be done well within the hour if both players know whats up (excluding setting up terrain, army list, etc). 25 points is about 3 to 6 models for the armies in my collection. So thats very little movement and very little dice rolls per turn.  But i'll update this tomorrow. 

I will start off with: Lord (20R), 3 Marauders (full command 3R) and a daemonette (allurres 1R). On my list to add in the first few games are some warriors, a knight, some more daemonettes and maybe a chariot or spawn just to see how they play. 

We will be playing the campaign and seeing how far we will get. :D 

Working on the assumption I'll mostly be playing campaigns, I'm starting either with Bloodstoker, Khorne knight, Blood Reaver x2, or Slaughterpriest + 5 Bloodreavers.  

The first is basically a knight bullet, counting on buffing the knight to take out key pieces and win some early games, the latter relies on the board control ability of the Slaughterpriest.

FMB

I just got a digital copy. I'm wondering what size table you guys are using?
25 points seems pretty small for 4 by 4...

That's recommended starting points when running a campaign battle. Mainly because you'll have more pretty quickly.

If you're not running the campaign, the recommended points is between 50 and 100 for a "pickup game."

Played yesterday, won 3 out of 3 games.

Game #1:

- 1 Exalted Deathbringer w ruinous axe and skull gougher (16p)

- 2 Skull reapers (14p)

- 5 Blood warriors (20p)

Played against an Ironjawz warband. Warchanter general, 3 brutes and 4 ardboys. I think. Ended up in a melee brawl in the middle, and my "tactics" of having counter attacks/thorns succeded. 

Game #2:

- 1 Exalted Deathbringer w Impaling spear (16p)

- 1 Skyfire (11p)

- 2 Pink horror (6p)

- 1 Skullreaper (7p)

- 3 Blood warriors (12p)

Faced a SC warband led by a Celestant. He also had a retributor, 2 liberators and 2 prosecutors. The 2 Prosecutors played as two separate warscrolls w different load outs allowing him to have two Primes. Not sure if that was played correctly. I played my horrors as two wizards, and quite frankly I'm not sure how that is played out either. It clearly says that each model is a separate unit though.

Anyway, the Skyfire outranged and outmanouvered the Prosecutors. Helped by mystical shield. Then it was quite a steal since I had the range and speed to pick targets. 

Game #3:

- Same warband as above.

Met a Sylvaneth warband. Branchwynch, 5 tree-revenants, 1 Kurnoth Bow, 2 dryads. Ranged duel (stale mate-ish) between Skyfire and Kurnoth. Eventually lost on like third turn w the hunter on 1 wound. Although I held objectives w Blood warrriors and couldn't be budged so I won. The tree-revenants where cool, and since we played the Treasure hunt scenario the posed edge threats on all sides. Not sure if they where played correctly. Each could do one re-roll per turn. And the horn guy could essentially send off units one by one since waypipe-thingy is triggered if within 6" of him. Oh well. 

-

Cool games overall! Ranged/speed helped me ALOT in #2-3. Blood warriors seems really great because of the counter attacks. I liked the Skirmish aspects. Games play out really differently because of the alternating activations. I.e. 10 models can easily wipe 5 models in AoS if given first activation. Here the 5 models are more likely to chip away on the attacker. 

1 hour ago, misthv said:

Cool games overall! Ranged/speed helped me ALOT in #2-3. Blood warriors seems really great because of the counter attacks. I liked the Skirmish aspects. Games play out really differently because of the alternating activations. I.e. 10 models can easily wipe 5 models in AoS if given first activation. Here the 5 models are more likely to chip away on the attacker. 

It's the prime reason as to why I'd love to see alternate phases in AoS :) . Combat still works more or less like this but it would be wonderful if other phases worked like this aswell. 

The prime advantage is that everybody can have it's shields up and respond to actions made by opponents. Alternating activations is wonderful for Skirmish, that's for sure.

I'm planning on making a Skaven list since I like the models but don't fancy painting up tons of rats for a normal army. Gonna go with the Warlord for general but not sure whether to fill the bulk of the list with Clanrats or Plague Monks (or a mix of both). Clanrats have a save while Monks have an extra attack, what are other people's thoughts?

I only play occasionally with friends so I'm aiming for a 50 renown list for one off games, will be using something like Rat Ogors, weapon teams or a Stormfiend as a 'centrepiece' for the warband as well as one or two Stormvermin for variety.

I ran a 50 pt list with:

Exalted Deathbringer with impaling spear

1 skull reaper

2 blood warriors

2 marauders

2 pink horrors

1 skyfire

Won every game. Those Pinks are a total bargain. The next cheapest caster in the book comes in at 16 its, I think.

I used the marauders to screen the Exalted, and ran the reaper and warriors together. 

Kept the pinks and sky fire on the fringes so they could cast/shoot and stay out of harms way.

Nice time. The potential for much fun here.

I recommand to start at 30-35

25 point is way to small. It mean that 90% of the minis are out. If you play stormcast, you HAVE to take a relictor/azyros and 2 liberator/2 aetherwing or one of each. No other choice.

With 35, you can at least have some variation in your composition. And in 25 pts, it's hero and 2 useless guy vs hero and 3 useless guy. Not fun

Our group is starting at 30 then dropping 5 points from first result. 

My list is, potentially. 

Aspiring deathbringer

Blood warrior

Skullcrusher.

Looking to build it up with a other crushed and blood warrior as I save up towards a khorgorath then a bloodsecrator 

That or slaves to darkness with 

Chaos Lord

Chais knight

2 chais warriors.

Nice and tanky fairly good damage.

Got a game in the other day, started campaign at 30 points.

Bloodstoker, Bloodwarrior, Wrathmonger, 3x Bloodreavers

Dominated the game with it, the Wrathmonger proving to be just insanely good.

Picked up a Skullcrusher and another Bloodreaver after the first game.

Skullcrusher did well considering I rolled pretty bad with him, but he pulled a lot of attention to try and kill and was fast.

After that victory I grabbed a Khorgorath and yeah, Khorgoraths in skirmish are amazing.

Won that game with the Khorgorath added and then we called it a night so didn't get to finish out the campaign.

Bloodstoker worked very well as a general, highly recommend him for his mobility buff in Skirmish.  Wrathmongers and Khorgoraths are just crazy good.  Skullcrusher rolled bad, but I stand behind him being a good pick.  The chance to do d3 mortal wounds to every model within 1" of him on a charge could end a match in one well placed move.

For my initial 25 points, I'm going to try running:

Skullgrinder, 1 Wrathmonger, 2 Bloodreavers

With the Skullgrinder possibly getting +1 attack from the Wrathmonger and getting +1 to wound with Merciless Killer (if I go that route), he's going to pack a serious punch and have a great chance of triggering Altar of Skulls. Is it overkill? Maybe. Do I care? Nah...

Probably need to add some mobility as I bring on more units.

something im unsure about is, 

it says for the skirmish campaign that you cannot alter your roster, you cant change weapon make up etc.

so does this mean the first hero will pick will always have to be the general ?

1 hour ago, Arkiham said:

something im unsure about is, 

it says for the skirmish campaign that you cannot alter your roster, you cant change weapon make up etc.

so does this mean the first hero will pick will always have to be the general ?

This is how I understand it to be.  As it says we cannot alter the roster, I assume that to be all inclusive unless specifically stated otherwise.  This does disable us from taking higher costed heroes as our general if starting at 25 points in a campaign.  However, that starting number is just a recommendation, and for one type of play.  Honestly though I don't think it's a big deal either way of it, so long as both players agree.  

There's plenty of aspects of the Skirmish rules that simply weren't thought out, and I suspect that's because GW tossed it together relatively quickly.  It's a fast, light, fun play style not intended to be read too much into and geared more towards players just tossing a handful of models on the table and bashing it out.  If tournaments picked it up for some reason then I'd suspect it would need quite a bit of houseruling set into motion to actually make it even remotely fair/balanced between parties.

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that the game is really geared toward getting newer, maybe younger, players involved. It's relatively easy to put together a small group for skirmish, and then slowly add to this core and, eventually, get into AoS.

Our group is starting at 30 Reknown.

Managed to squeeze in:

1 Darkoath Chieftain

1 Pink Horror

and 1 Tzaangor Skyfire.

The Skyfire is insane for his 11 reknown cost simply due to movement alone. And since he's the leader, he hits on a 3 with his arrow.

Managed to get a Minor Victory in my first game, and then received 3 Reknown as a Reward after the battle. That's 11 to use for another Skyfire, or save up for something else.

Our group is starting at 30 Reknown.

Managed to squeeze in:

1 Darkoath Chieftain

1 Pink Horror

and 1 Tzaangor Skyfire.

The Skyfire is insane for his 11 reknown cost simply due to movement alone. And since he's the leader, he hits on a 3 with his arrow.

Managed to get a Minor Victory in my first game, and then received 3 Reknown as a Reward after the battle. That's 11 to use for another Skyfire, or save up for something else.

Sorry for the noob question, but how a Skyfire can be the leader without being a hero? Or it's just your house rules?

Archived