Skyfire theory (not mine)

ageofpaddsmar

Question

Heard a strange theory the other day regarding skyfires and their 6s to hit. 

This is not mine . 

Where you rules say on a 6 or more to hit the attack sequence ends and the tatget units takes d3 mortal wounds. Is that the attack sequence for that one attack or the whole attack sequence.  

Meaning you ignore any other hits. May explain why they are so cheap

3 answers to this question

The attack sequence is not the shooting phase, its the sequence of rolling to hit, wound, save and damage. Remeber that technically that sequence is done per model (in practice you do them at the same time though, to speed things up) and so your ending the sequence for that model and instead doing d3 wounds. The attack sequences for other models are not affected (because logically they happen before or after), nor is the shooting phase as a whole. 

The idea is that the attack sequence for that one specific attack ends and leads to (in this case) d3 mortal wounds.

Skyfires are likely too cheaply costed, it could very well be that costs where made and rules where later added to make them a little bit better. In many cases it's important to remember that there isn't one guy working on these Battletome's and because of that things can go wrong. 

My personal theory is that Skyfires just where tested under the condition of support troops. If you run a couple (6) of them there is still a very interesting game going on by adding all kinds of different units. If you run on mono-Skyfires things become more silly.

The blame isn't completely on Skyfires either, the whole Shooting phase is lacking depth of rules other phases have. It's the most unrestricted form of attacking in the game and by game comparison not even 40K has such a good 'ranged attack phase'.

Archived