Crypt ghouls paint tutorials?

Dracothjay

Canhammer, Any advice on what I should buy first? I have like £100 so that's 2 start collecting boxes. Aiming for a 1k list. I already have 20 ghouls and a necromancer.

if I buy both boxes I won't be able to buy a varghulf for the horror revives so I'm in a catch 22.

Depends what you like really.  There's little reason to stick to a faction in death so you can play what you like. 

For 1000 points competitive I play this:

ghoul king on terrogheist

vargulf

6 crypt horrors

zombies

you could sub ghouls for zombies. I don't feel necromancer is worth it at 1k. He needs to use his ability on a mass of zombies or at least 6 crypt horrors to be worth subbing him in for vargulf. Vargulf is very strong at 1000 points due to his regen of the horrors and his own combat strength. The ghoul king on gheist is almost unkillable at 1k with unholy vitality up. 

For you I'd probably fill battle line then get ghoul king and some horrors

Deaths strength lies in its durability. I have yet to play an opponent where I'm feeling unable to make their lines. 

So I prefer the terrorgheist with unholy vitality.  This makes it extremely hard to kill. My GK tanked 30 something mortal wounds last weekend from skaven army. I always run ruler of the night. 5+ extra save is just too good. Your army synergizes with the ghoul king. Everyone has to stay close. I also run cursed book. Again -1 to hit is key. I run it together with a mourngul and those two not only wreck things and are super fast but as a combo with -2/-3 to hit depending on bravery, and with three saves each become a little deathstar

What would legitimise the usage for a AGKoZD? Any particular reason? 

The command ability is something I'd never see myself using. I'm not into the whole summoning type gameplay, would rather field what I have instead of having to summon elements of my list.

feeding frenzy looks amazing though.

Here's a relatively simple method (looks like a lot of steps but it is not) for how I did my latest (i've experimented a little bit with various ways):

1. Prime; I used zenithal priming so black all over, gray from angles, white directly from the top, but in retrospect I don't think it was necessary and black should probably suffice
  2. Basecoat the skin with Rakarth Flesh, two thin coats optional (heresy I know but these are ghouls having it splotchy in some cases make them look sickly)
  3. Paint any bones with zandri dust
  4. Paint any fur/bits of cloth/god knows what some type of brown (I think I used mournfang brown, it really does not matter, any sort of gray/brown/muddy color works)
  5.  I wash the entire model with Army Painter Strong Tone Ink (agrax earthshade might fit the bill here, YMMV) to shade everything and make it dirty looking, apply liberally but don't let it pool
  6. Quick Drybrush the flesh again with Rakarth Flesh again, if you want add a bit of Pallid Wych Flesh to the Rakarth Flesh (1:2 mix of Pallid to Rakarth) to lighten it a bit more and give a very light drybrush on the shoulders, face and the kneecaps
  7. Using ushabti bone or any similar color, paint the tips of the bones and any extremely visible raised areas (such as the bone club or skeleton "banner")
  8. (OPTIONAL) Gently drybrush any fur/bits of cloth/god knows what with a lighter color (does not matter which)
  9. Wash the hands, mouth, eyes any sores and the areas where the bones go into the flesh with carroburg crimson to make the skin look raw
  10. (OPTIONAL) Apply Blood for the Blood God liberally if you want that "Just finished a sumptuous banquet" look

Archived