Summoning - When does Warscroll Apply?

Tidings

Question

Can a wizard summon a unit when there isn't another of the same unit already on the table? Basically, the summon ability is granted to the wizard by the unit's warscroll. Is that active and granted to the wizard just because I have the models ready to summon, or only when I've already deployed one of those units?

I'm sure this has been asked but all I've managed to find are people arguing over the answer before GHB was released. I've seen very logical and valid arguments for both sides. Hoping the community or GW has landed on an answer!

6 answers to this question

It is generally played that you can summon anything that you have the models for, provided you have the points, you don't already have to have one of those units on the battlefield. 

Technically there arguments that you would need them, but since GHB I have never seen it played that way in any events I have been to, or club games. 

Don't worry. No debate needed. This is already addressed in the official faq. Not sure why there are references in this thread to any other possibilities....

"can the summoning spells on some warscrolls be used by the appropriate caster, even if none of the models from the warscroll are in my army?

yes"

21 minutes ago, Bosmer Nightblade said:

Don't worry. No debate needed. This is already addressed in the official faq. Not sure why there are references in this thread to any other possibilities....

"can the summoning spells on some warscrolls be used by the appropriate caster, even if none of the models from the warscroll are in my army?

yes"

Doh, somehow I missed this when I read through the errata. Thank you!

Archived