Starting to bring death?

aquenaton

Hi! I am looking to start playing AoS, but at a small scale for the beggining, maybe skirmish, AoS28, or Hinterlands... my problem right now is that I cannot choose a sub-faction to start.

I know right now there are 3 "start collecting" death boxes, and I like all of them, so will be getting them as I play, but for this year I will try to focus on only one. I actually like vampires the most, but it seems right now there is no way to play them alone (maybe if I get a chaos knights box at some point...). Anyway, Would you recommend the Malignants or the Skeleton horde for starting? I like converting models, so I will find ways to use many pieces. I am not very sure about flesh eater courts as I find it difficult to imagine an interesting scheme to paint them without much gore.

What would you recommend to start? Any boxes I have not seen?

Thank you in advance!

I'm going to shamelessly plug Flesh-Eater Courts because they're my favourite faction! I agree that the models aren't the most inspiring, but since you mentioned you like converting you should definitely consider them. I see FEC as a real converter's army. Their lore is surprisingly rich and evocative - to put it briefly, they're all suffering from a magical delusion that makes them think they're members of a sophisticated royal court (seriously, get their battletome - best lore in the game!). If you look at medieval and renaissance art for inspiration, the potential for really wild and characterful conversions is huge (if you twist my arm I'll show you some of mine! ;)). Those naked ghouls are a blank canvas that you can shape into your own personal court.

If you do want to go with vampires (Soulblight) then plastic Dragonblades are very popular as an affordable and good-looking alternative to the Blood Knight models.

The Malignants and Skeleton Horde boxes are both great. If you're a competitive player then I believe I'm right in thinking that the Malignants are the slightly better choice. But really, both will be good starter armies (or warbands, if you're playing Hinterlands/Skirmish).

And as @CanHammer-darren said, even though Death is the smallest Grand Alliance, pretty much everything in it is useful and for the most part the various factions work very well together. Just dive in with whatever models you like the best and you won't go far wrong.

My 2¢

Malignants, while super cool, aren't super competitive. They are super easy to paint though. ;) I look forward to a book for them as I think it could be really interesting.

Flesh-eater courts, certainly the most "fleshed" out of the death faction at this point. (see what I did there? ;)) Personally I feel many of their models leave a lot to be desired. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see a new ghoul kit within a year or two. Imo the terrorghesit in the start collecting is gorgeous though. 

Skeleton horde start collecting is a really good deal. (they all are, but this one is special). The downside is black knights are pretty weak right now and the general consensus is that mortarchs aren't quite competitive when compared to things like the Vampire lord on Zombie Dragon. Certainly not terrible though, I still adore neferata and her command ability can shut down some armies. (MW on a 6+? aww too bad!)

In terms of how good the deal is, retail cost to buy the contents of the start collecting boxes seperately:

Skeleton Horde: $137

Flesh Eater Courts: $125

Malignants: $121

Ultimately, imo pick whichever models you like the best and if you can't decide on that then turn to things like: "which is the best deal or which is the most competitive"

Also another thing to bear in mind, and other members please correct me if I am wrong, but given that several of the units in the start collecting boxes are multi-kits you should be able to build them into alternative models as the required bits should all be on the sprues. 

Arkhan can also be Neferata or Manfred

Black Knights can also be Hexwraiths (and vice versa)

Terrorgheist can also be Zombie Dragon (with or without rider in either case)

Thank you very much for your advices! Right now I can assure I am pulling back the Malignants box for a long trip to the future, so the only options I see are the Skelletons and Ghouls. I am rambling with the idea of playing a bunch of pict undead people, some warriors from a long time ago that died defending their old homeland from chaos, but the taint of Shyish broke them.

So! I will start with one of the boxes, but plan to get the second one as soon as I can and try to mix and match to create the most interesting crew possible.

Which of those do you think is more acceptable to start playing from the beggining? I have seen on many places people saying that you need at least 40 skeletons to make them worthy, do ghouls suffer the same problem?

I also like Khorne mortals, are they more "newy friendly"? 

Thank you very much!!!

17 hours ago, aquenaton said:

Which of those do you think is more acceptable to start playing from the beggining? I have seen on many places people saying that you need at least 40 skeletons to make them worthy, do ghouls suffer the same problem?

I also like Khorne mortals, are they more "newy friendly"? 

Thank you very much!!!

All low points cost infantry are arguably better in larger numbers, but that doesn't mean that they can't be useful as smaller units. I wouldn't worry about it. You can always add to them later if you feel you want to.

If by Khorne mortals you mean Bloodbound then my feeling is that they're not ideal for beginners. They have a lot of buffs, abilities, synergies, etc to keep track of if you want to use them effectively. More than most factions I'd say.

Thanks! I have been able to finally play at my club (many players were with their armies and one gave me his ironjaws to try), I enjoyed the game despite being hammered to death by retributors. I enjoyed this game can be played very fast, with not many minis, so I will try to get a more elite focused crew to start. I am going to devote myself to Khorne for a while, so I can still play while I slowly advance with an inevitable deathrattle army (planning on getting the start collecting, the king and a couple more skeletons and horsemen, but on the long term). Obviously I will find a way to get some cool blood knights, but also at the future.

Thank you very much!

Archived