Open Play: Nightmare Scenarios

I'm creating some battleplans aimed at addressing the supposed 'nightmare scenarios' that Open Play could generate - not just addressing them, but turning them on their head and making them outrageously good fun. I know there's some debate about how likely these situations are to occur, but my thinking is that it doesn't matter. If the battleplans are good then it might encourage more people to experiment with asymmetrical armies for the sheer fun of it, rather than because their opponent is trying to break the game.

These are the 'nightmare scenarios' I have so far:

• Your opponent has a much larger army.
  • Your opponent has a large number of wizards and summonable units.
  • Your opponent has a large number of Behemoths.
  • Your opponent wants to field more than one copy of the same named character.

Can anyone think of any others? Be as outrageous and implausible as you like!

Simply put:  Your opponent only takes the "most powerful" units in the game, since Open Play doesn't even restrict you to Grand Alliance.  The worst boogeyman I saw was from someone on Dakka pointing out how no points was "unplayable":

One player can bring a "normal" army while the other can literally fill every square inch of their deployment zone with the most powerful models in the game.

There is a battleplan in AllGates where you compete against each other by racing to locate the proper hidden model.  You don't attack each other.   Battleplans like that may be good to use , just give the "nightmare army"  penalties or something.

@chord This is a very good point, and actually I've been applying this to the battleplans I'm writing without even realising I was doing it. I think it's because I've always found 'kill the other guy' battleplans the least interesting.

@wayniac That's a difficult situation to account for in a battleplan because how do you state what a powerful unit is? Open to suggestions on that.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2017 at 0:08 PM, Jamie the Jasper said:

I'm creating some battleplans aimed at addressing the supposed 'nightmare scenarios' that Open Play could generate - not just addressing them, but turning them on their head and making them outrageously good fun. I know there's some debate about how likely these situations are to occur, but my thinking is that it doesn't matter. If the battleplans are good then it might encourage more people to experiment with asymmetrical armies for the sheer fun of it, rather than because their opponent is trying to break the game.

These are the 'nightmare scenarios' I have so far:

• Your opponent has a much larger army.
  • Your opponent has a large number of wizards and summonable units.
  • Your opponent has a large number of Behemoths.
  • Your opponent wants to field more than one copy of the same named character.

Can anyone think of any others? Be as outrageous and implausible as you like!

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

Here's my kickstart. History is filled with one-sided affairs that inspired poems, books, and movies:

The Battle of Thermopylae

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Rorke' Drift

The Alamo

The Battle of Little Big Horn

The Battle of Cannae

The Battle of Agincourt

The Battle of Trenton

Pickett's Charge

20 hours ago, Trout said:

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

I did actually! I think they're all written up in my notebook - just need to type them up and format them nicely. Thanks for reminding me!

Archived