David's Barak Urbaz Painting Report

davidslv

Hi everyone,

I've been playing and painting Khorne units for over a month now that I feel the need of painting something a bit more colourful than red/black/brass/silver - I love red but I think I got too much of it.

So when Kharadron Overlords came out I was excited to paint it, and so I started assembling the Arkanaut Company on the 16th of May, at the time I wasn't really sure which Sky Port I wanted so that took me a while to think about - I'm really glad that the Battletome comes with a painting guide to help identifying with colours to use where - I'm not sure, but I believe this is the first time it happens, if it is, I hope to see more of this in future battletomes (not referring to colour rules or such - just purely a colour scheme guide). Unfortunately it doesn't go into such detail on the flying boats, but that's a good start for me.

From the 16th of May it took me until Sunday the 21st to actually decide to go for Barak Urbaz and so that's when I've first painted their clothes in screamer pink - I must say I felt quite a joy for not being painting Khorne Red once again.

At this time I realised that I've made yet another mistake, I shouldn't have assembled the weapons that are in front of the model - but now there's no going back because I also glued it with plastic glue and I'm afraid my hobby skills are not anywhere close to cut an assembled model.

Also the models are so tiny that I feel that using a magnifier glass helps me a lot to paint it as close of perfection as I can. 

So far I have painted 3 colours (screamer pink, leadbelcher and mournfang brown last night - 23rd may) 

I feel like I'm going slow, I'm not sure if that's because they are tiny or because I'm trying to make them look perfect - or maybe is both things.

I'll leave you a few photos of the progress so far.

By the end, I expect to have painted:

• 30 Arkanaut Company
  • 1 Aether-Khemist
  • 1 Aetheric Navigator
  • 1 Endrinmaster
  • 1 Brokk Grungsson, Lord Magnate of Barak Nar (I know, Barak Nar, but he's funding my Barak Urbaz army)
  • 12 Endrinriggers
  • 1 Ironclad

Thanks for reading, I'll be updating this topic as I progress on the unit.

IMG_8614.JPG

IMG_8617.JPG

IMG_8676.JPG

IMG_8726.JPG

IMG_8751.JPG

IMG_8752.JPG

Last night I had a few more moments to paint. I have two more colours to do before shading, being those Balthasar Gold and Warplock Bronze.

The book wasn't very clear where to use Warplock Bronze, but to me it seemed that it is meant to be used on the boots - so that's what I've done, painted the top of the boots Warplock Bronze and the sole in Leadbelcher - still needs to be tidy up, but I'll do those little details before using the shades.

IMG_8789.JPG

IMG_8796.JPG

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Have you seen the step-by-step painting video for Barak-Urbaz on Warhammer TV? Might help with figuring out what parts get painted what colours, and Duncan makes it all so very pleasant somehow!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EJvEfku2Hb8

Hi @Tommy, I've have seen it indeed, although Duncan is painting Barak-Nar instead of Barak-Urbaz. I think the confusion is that they both start with screamer pink.

Good morning all,

I've got around to paint a bit this weekend.

Using the Warplock Bronze on the books felt wrong to me, so I have used Abbadon Black instead (even though I'm not the biggest fan of that colour), I also got to use Balthasar Gold on what looks a bit of armour in the back and front, and used it on their respirators too. I've used leadbelcher on their heads and beard, which I expect than to go over with Balthasar Gold and Warplock Bronze.

I've also tidy up their straps with Mournfang Brown and painted their gloves in the same colour.

Managed to take the weapons that were in front of the model so I can paint the weapons and their clothes properly - which is good because I wasn't happy with not being able to paint certain sections.

In the meantime my girlfriend has been entertained with Brokk, which she's trying really hard to match it's original colours (she's following the box limited instructions, I've also tried to give her more insight with White Dwarf May's edition) 

Sorry for the limited number of photos, will do my best to post more tonight.

IMG_8853.JPG

IMG_8854.JPG

IMG_8855.JPG

IMG_8856.JPG

• 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, JTZara said:

Did you get any further with this? I'm looking to paint some Barak Urbaz myself and would be interested to see what happened!

I have an army painted in the Urbaz scheme if you have any questions feel free to message me.

VWY7W1XGMExDhG_BjXF16F9-ULdiUoQRhuU74rOjilPm9l50D3byAkjJrrFEPu7jfXABAyDcFnMFjEc48HKugj4t6D6hED5l4qVTU9vbwMjtAXcKCcHy4fyV-7Di1vhXOyI5q2dw9jZj7P5XWXphc1SlWaD9IdqqqBbELDK-_rR1S-ffAyQjWfZXQBRqz8A4XoEffxb7DmkwxSVQHppfFlCi4im7UwCFrwjTtkDYXWsJhkEweHiK2vti9A8-HRum1PzRtj7w5CD9_Jha0rfWjzHqxj3xxRjH759GeFuQcz3owGQLiYApFd-qgOiKIioZp1n7TC5pulGE-RA90NY6J2liBVh_argegiUSTKBtV9atTmS97likDounvxy3P9gRq_IrX_24ppfZ2qCYLKtNvhgm-x0Pvt07cHYTD1cykGmKI5pM4a0qiUmwlF5ZC01ESdfvxFnUddKv0J6lMeoQsuff_NlAvEa12i8Qp0npPFgAmW6wOLZP5gLd5eKG_EwFzWjrFBwczMlia8GeLLJDbHOCW_zTlUQcNKYCyQwsoBqvTIvju9IjINM-zRlDouF_-ndJYnU2y1ZYcsMNSjIFX3PZG5DxP-DHi3elpIRQnni-Sz4k9pl6F71wPBjN7MlSYqKbYIF-GStQJBWtCJVRyT81ItI1mONvb3rMQKppvsDpHa6CEuppZafQ=w1251-h938-no

Thanks for the reply- they look great! I just haven't found all that much on how to paint an Urbaz colour scheme, and I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I start. I'm interested in how people have deviated from the suggestions given in the book for example, which seem a little fiddly to me- there's a french guy on youtube who uses agrax earthshade for the leather _and_ the bronze (instead of using reikland fleshshade on the latter), and I'm interested if people make the distinction between the light bronze and the dark bronze or not, as it seems like it might slow things down somewhat, and I'm not fast anyway. The critical thing seems to be to use coelia greenshade over leadbelcher on the armour. Also interested to know how people have got on with the flying stands- I'm guessing that assembly before painting would be a mistake? Did you paint the Endrins on your Endrinriggers seperately?

Many thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

I was super excited to continue this project, but it has been very difficult to keep the motivation it's all stored in boxes since we moved.

I haven't forgotten this, but it will take a while as we still finding our grounds to settle in our new place, space is definitely an issue.

Me and my partner have been talking about a new furniture which will have all the models exposed behind glass so when that happens it will be easier to continue and pick individuals at a given time instead of opening boxes and boxes looking for what I need.

@Drofnum that looks amazing, what are you using on your bases? I really like the elevated feeling and texture.

@JTZara Do you happen to have the Kharadron Overlords battletome? The colour scheme is in the book.

Another way is to use the Citadel Paint app, but the only thing they have uploaded there is the Barak-Nar Arkanaut :S

Urbaz scheme is Ironbreaker with Coelia greenshade over it for the green armor.  The cloth is screamer pink with nuln oil wash. Then warplock bronze and I believe one of the copper colors for the other metals, I used vallejo for the copper personally but they look the same.

@davidslv its just bark for the rocks. I was going for an Arizona/Utah redrock base.  Thats where I grew up and always liked it.

Sorry if I hijacked your painting thread as well, didnt notice thats what it was at first!

Archived