Charge phase

L.Bromley

Question

Hey guys I'm just looking for some clarity on the charge phase, I went to a gaming store last weekend and they had a mini tournament on, as I was watching all the different games being played I couldn't help but notice all the different ways people were doing the charge phase. I saw people rolling all the charge attempts for the whole army and then moving in, some declaring targets and some just rolling and picking, some being forced to charge closest unit even though the charge roll meant they could reach another, some trying to lap round using the 3" but jumping over models and not actually moving round the model. 

Can someone just shed some light on this as I know it's a big area and can easily be misinterpreted.

3 answers to this question

First off, per the basic rules, each unit that you roll for must be completely moved before selecting another unit to charge with. 

Here's the general rundown on the charge phase:

1. Select a unit that is eligible to charge (not currently within 3" of an enemy unit, but [typically] within the 12" charge distance of at least one enemy unit).
2. Roll 2D6 (unless otherwise specified on the warscroll) to determine charge distance. Note that this value may be altered by abilities during the game (for instance, hornblowers often add 1" to the charge range). You do not have to specify the "target" of your charge.
3. If the unit's total charge distance from step 2 is sufficient to get at least one model within 1/2" of an enemy unit, you may charge your unit (it's not required). Each model in the unit may move up to the unit's total charge distance, but the first model you move must end its charge within 1/2" of an enemy unit. It is entirely possible to engage multiple enemy units with one charging unit and/or for multiple charging units to engage the same enemy unit. Each model in your charging unit must maintain coherency at the end of your charge maneuver (within 1" of one or more models in the unit).

You also had a question that looked like piling in, regarding the 3" movement. You can't jump over models unless your unit specifically allows it (for example, Scyla Anfingrimm's Bestial Leap ability) or if your unit has flying. You generally have to move around models instead. Also, when playing with base-to-base measurements (which is extremely common), a model that is touching an enemy model's base cannot move during the pile-in, as it cannot get any closer to the nearest enemy model.

1. Pick a unit that is within 12" of an enemy model

2. Roll two dice

3. Move the first model in the unit up to that many inches, it must end within 1/2" of an enemy model

4. Move the rest of the models in the unit up to that many inches

5. Repeat from 1

So from this: 

You roll one unit then move it, then roll the next one. You cant roll all your charge distances and then move, as this gives an advantage (for example knowing if you will or will not get 2 of your units into one enemy unit).

You don't have to name a target, you pick the "target" when you move the models (after you know how far they move) but actually there is no target, one charge can bring you into combat with multiple enemies. 

You don't have to charge the nearest enemy.

The pile in move is not much to do with charging (other than you get to pile in if you charged, even if not in combat by the time you activate). It has a few things to note though:

You must end up closer to the nearest enemy model after your pile in.

Its still a move, although it happens in the combat phase, when you activate a unit.

So for piling in, some things to note:

You can't pile in if your in base-to-base contact with a model, because you cant get any closer, so don't go base-to-base unless you have to.You have to move around enemies etc.

You have to end up closer to the nearest enemy model to you, but wrap around it etc to make more room for other models to get into combat.

Your pile in can cause enemy units that weren't in combat to end up in combat, if you end up within 3" of them. If so, your opponent can activate those units in that combat phase, and they get to pile in towards you.

Archived