Drill cannon question

Bimli

Question

Ok so the drill cannon says if you roll a 6 to wound a units within 3" take d3 mortal wounds in addition to any damage dealt to the target unit.

Does this mean a unit within 3" take d3 + 3 mortal wounds if the target unit did not save or does a unit within 3" take d3 + all wounds caused on the unit regardless of what did the damage? Example 3 wounds from the drill cannon and 2 wounds caused by the endrinriggers regular guns for a total of 5 + d3?

9 answers to this question

I'd always read it as though the other unit takes only d3 damage. The 'in addition to' is simply a reference to the 3 (minus saves) damage caused to the original target...

That's how I read it anyway. Anything more and the cannon becomes ridiculously op, imo.

17 hours ago, Bimli said:

You can only do the d3 mortal wound to another unit. Wonder why they would even mention the additional damage

My assumption would be that this is to clarify it's not an "instead of" kinda deal... The wording is awkward, I guess, however. Moving the "in addition to" to the beginning of the rule would have been much better:

In addition to any damage dealt to the target unit, if the wound roll for a Drill Cannon is a 6 or more, you can pick another enemy unit within 3" of the target unit; that unit suffers D3 mortal wounds.

I suggest you discuss it with any opponent before a game, because trying to argue mid-game that a Drill deals a potential 9 wounds (3 + d3+3) is not going to win you any friends...

Note: Considering that with every single in-faction (Kharadron Overlords, that is, not Order) bonuses available, the Drill doing only an extra d3 wounds on a  toWound roll of 6 already gives it a better average damage output than the Cannon (on the 'hauler), you can hopefully see how thinking it does an extra 3 doesn't seem to make sense... It also would make the Skypike option seem ridiculously tame, by comparison!

12 minutes ago, Nico said:

The wording is quite specific here. It's:

"pick another enemy unit within 3" of the target unit."

This is not all of those units within 3" and the "another" stops you from choosing the target unit.

That's not what's being discussed here...

It's the damage said other unit takes, that's under scrutiny.

• Bimly says they take "d3 mortal wounds in addition to any damage dealt to the target unit"
  • I say they take only "d3 mortal wounds"

So going with Bimly's view, the Cannon could cause a potential 9 wounds if the enemy fails their save : 3 on the target unit, and d3 + 3 on another

By my reading, the max would be 6 : 3 on the target unit, and d3 on another.

Here is what it says.

If the wound roll for a drill cannon is 6 or more, you can pick another enemy unit within 3" of the target unit. That unit suffers d3 mortal wounds in addition to any damage dealt to the target unit.

Hmm as I keep reading it maybe it is just giving you the heads up that another unit takes d3 while to original unit still takes it's damages. I'm not sure why this wording is even added to be honest. Spinsane you sold me it's only d3 instead of d3 + 3. 

I see your point, as if you took the middle part out you would have the sentence "That unit suffers any damage dealt to the target unit" which would clearly mean that both units take the 3 damage.  I suppose then if you took that as a start and put "d3 damage in addition to" it could be interpreted as 3 + d3 + 3.

But given the power level that would imply, I can't imagine that was what was intended.  Just a bit of sloppy writing. 

Archived