Boar boyz tusker shields

Arbaal

Hi boyz, a qyestion for you: the boar boyz tusker shield rule say that you can reroll save rolls.. but this means all the save rolls (failed and saved)? Or only the failed?

I have the doubt because in other warscroll specify "failed save rolls" (the warboss shield for example)

Inviato dal mio GT-I8190N utilizzando Tapatalk

The question is different: their shield says "repeat the save rolls"
The boss shield says "repeat FAILED save rolls"..
So, is a writing error? Or the boarboyz shield allow you to reroll in case of misfortune but you have to reroll all the dices? Or you reroll only the failed rolls also with the boar boyz shield?
How do you use them?

Well if you play as the FAQ suggests and reroll before modifiers it does make quite a difference when considering that rend is a modifier.

It's quite an important difference as it would mean you could reroll saves for the boarboys that you knew would fail when modifiers (rend) were applied but not with the Warboss

I've no idea if it's a mistake or not you'd have to ask GW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most logical answer is generally the best and most accepted.

I think, regardless of the slight different in writing, in either case you can re-roll failed saves.

In the case of Boar Boyz, potentially you could re-roll a successful one.

Now... why you would want to re-roll a successful save, there probably isn't a reason in the game at the moment for Boar Boyz, but  there could be niche cases where you want to within the game overall.

For example, Ogors with Ironfists deal mortal wounds back on a save roll of 6 or more. On that unit, there is therefore a meaningful difference between re-rolling failed saves vs re-rolling save rolls as you could get an even better result if you re-rolled a regular successful save.

Of course, that's all theory. I don't believe there's any way to give Ogors re-rolls of any kind. Nor do I know of any way to give Boar Boyz an ability that triggers on save rolls of 6 or more. So it's really a moot point, but just illustrates that potentially wording can be important, but in this case the different in wording is probably irrelevant.

It has sense indeed... if you cause me 8 wounds (for example)... I roll these save: 1 1 3 4 5 4 3 2
It' an unlucky roll... in this case the tusker shield ability would be useful... I'm obliged to reroll the 5 wishing in a better global roll

Obviously this interpretation is WEAKER than the rule of the boss shield, but would give sense to the different wording...

So.. all of you reroll only the failed saves?

14 minutes ago, Arbaal said:

I'm obliged to reroll the 5 wishing in a better global roll

What obliges you to do it? It doesn't say must reroll saves, it says can, and remember that logically your rolling one save after another, then deciding if you want to reroll it, before doing the next. Your just shortcutting by rolling all the dice at once. 

Just now, Arbaal said:

Can reroll save rolls I think means "reroll ALL save rolls"... otherwise why not write "FAILED save rolls"

Can means you can choose to, it is the word GW use to indicate that using an ability is optional. The fact it doesn't say failed means that you get the option to reroll successful saves if you want. 

Some examples of wording and what they would mean:

You reroll failed saves - any save roll that fails (before modifiers) must be rerolled, this could actually be bad as a modifier might mean the original role would pass after modifiers, but the reroll might be lower and not.

You can reroll failed saves - any save that fails before modifiers can optionally be rerolled, this means you can elect to not reroll a save if you know that after modifiers it would pass.

You reroll saves - all save rolls, whether pass or fail, must be rerolled - this would actually be kind of pointless, your back to square one.

You can reroll saves - all save rolls, whether pass or fail, can optionally be rerolled. This allows you to not reroll something that fails before modifiers but you know would pass after a modifier, but also allows you to reroll a successful save (if for example, your model dying would inflict mortal wounds that might actually be better for you than the model living).

Archived