2k army list, trying new things

Grungi Voodooson

So I've got my 1st game in a while and I thought I'd try some new things like formations and such so here's my list. I'd appreciate any feedback on it please. 

Ghoul king in zombie dragon, cloak and red fury.

Ghoul patrol 

30 ghouls

30 ghouls

10 ghouls

courtier, cursed book

6 crypt horrors

6 crypt horrors

3 crypt horrors 

The 3 horrors were a debatable choice between them, a necromancer, a ghoul king on foot or a varghulf but I reckon more wounds helps most?

• 2 weeks later...

So this list didn't work, played 3 ogre heroes, I forget the name and the lord on that thing that halves wounds. They did the work and tore me apart, should have used the ghouls as a screen. 

Not sold on the ghoul patrol, new plan in the works.

ghoul king on dragon 

ghoul king on gheist

gheist

3x10 ghouls

6 horrors 

varghulf

necromancer

Noy sure if this is screen enough however.

Ghoul patrol is fine on paper but flesh eaters thrives off synergy and for that every one has to be close together.  Ask any competitive player if they are more scared of 60 zombies, or 60 ghouls.  

A GK on gheist is way harder to kill.  In fact in many games he has only my ever died once and that was to skaven hitting it with 32 mortal wounds.  I know red fury is fun but I find survivability is more valuable and cursed book is so good.  I run a mourngul beside him for up to -3 to hit. Which invalidates many models in combat. 

Attrition is basically what Death is best at.

Outlasting the opponent via regeneration & healing.

Death also has the Death Ward Save going for it, which is an uncounterable 5+ save on every single damage (for those within range of general).

Death hits quite hard in melee with the right units, so surviving and outlasting is usually the hard part, and Ruler of the Night is the best chance at getting you closer to that.

All the suggestions in this thread also point towards attrition.

Varghluf

Mourngul (Debuffs = more survivability, self heals).

It's also worth noting that the Stonehorn and BeastClaw are one of the more overpowered things to play against, so don't get tilted.

On 5/30/2017 at 8:39 PM, Grungi Voodooson said:

So this list didn't work... ...should have used the ghouls as a screen.

I find this attitude both very common and very strange, people know that they made big mistakes in games yet they still blame their lists. Of course you can make some judgements on a list from lost games, but the attitude to change the list rather than learning from mistakes and trying again is puzzling to me. Ghoul patrol is a perfectly fine formation, and I would definitely recommend you try it a few more times before writing it off.

For your first list:

Personally, if you are going to be running ghoul patrol, you will need either ghast courtiers or varghulf courtiers imo. The measely D6 regen isn't enough to make them reliable screens in my experience. 

Maybe you'd be better off trying the attendants at court scroll as well? I would use that warscroll over the three horrors to allow your force to be slightly more spread out (as tends to happen with ghoul patrol)

Your second list:

Finally, if you are going to run a necromancer, just dump the ghouls altogether... Get zombies instead to form 1 giant unit that actually might screen slightly better and for less points.  

Not sure about 3 behemoths via the terrorgheist... I'd try something like

GKoZD (ruler of night)

GKoTG

Varghulf courtier

Crypt Haunter courtier

necromancer

4x10 zombies for battleline (can merge if scenario allows it)

12 Crypt horrors (or 2 x6 if you really are worried about lack of units)

Those 12 horrors backed up with:
ruler of knight (5+ Wound ignore + rerolls to hit due to ghoul king),
unholy vitality (a second 5+ wound ignore)
Feeding Frenzy (Reroll wounds if close enough to GKoZD)
AND vanhell's dance macrabre (pile in and attack twice)
will act both as shield (especially when you ressurect on 12 dice, hunting for 5+) and hammer in one unit. 

Archived